Shopping Discussion

ebay Global Shipping Program - are you a victim?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2017 10:00 am
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

ebay Global Shipping Program - are you a victim?

I paid for my mistake so hopefully you don't have to:

Seller from US, in the description of the item the seller said he could send the item by USPS for $x while by default shipping to Canada/International is by this ebay global shipping program (GSP) for 3 times at much. So I sent him a message asking how to choose that USPS method because I can't see a choice at check out, or perhaps he could adjust the amount afterwards. He simply replied no problem, we can ship by USPS for $x.
so I went ahead to hit buy it now button (my mistake!). At check out, again, there was no option to choose any other shipping method, can not request a total from seller, so I added a message with the transaction to request changing shipping method at the seller's end, and I checked out with paypal.

The very next day the package was shipped using GSP because
1) the seller missed/ didn't see the note that comes with the transaction,

2) he is confused with US client that has an option of choosing shipping method at check out, he does not know that international clients don't have that option

if he has seen the note (and eventually find out that he can't change the shipping method at his end anyway), he and I would probably agree to cancel the transaction all together. The only way that the seller can offer this USPS option is by opting out of the GSP on his listings, which he does not know.

so too late, the item is on its way to the distribution centre, ended up shipping cost more than the actual item! You will pay seller to ship the item to the center and pay another transaction to a 3rd party to ship it internationally to you. I have contacted ebay and they advised to open a case to maybe get a partial refund once the product arrived.

I've heard that if the item is expensive and heavy then GSP is ok. but for shipments to Canada, I'll personally stay far far away from sellers that use GSP.

Update-----
Got a discount for my GSP lesson - seller agreed to share the extra shipping cost... winner is still pitney bowes
64 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14880 upvotes
I'm not a victim, I'm a happy customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
Lesson learned, triple check everything before buying. If you buy it for $x, expect to pay $x.

You *should* have not paid and stopped at that point to make sure everything is verified by messaging the seller.

The only times I have been burned on ebay are my own fault for not checking everything over multiple times. With the exception of 1 item where it was fake, I used paypal to resolve it.
Banned
Feb 3, 2014
103 posts
7 upvotes
Halifax
i think ebay makes a cut from the third party shipper as well. so that is why they endorse the GSP.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote: Lesson learned, triple check everything before buying. If you buy it for $x, expect to pay $x.

You *should* have not paid and stopped at that point to make sure everything is verified by messaging the seller.
Once you are at check out you can not commit the buy without paying and get the seller to revise the invoice. I should have messaged the seller again and again to make sure he knows I want to ship by USPS otherwise cancel the transaction. But that also means I trust the seller knows what he is doing. The correct way would be changing the item listing with GSP opted out - but either of us know that at that point. I've read a case where the buyer and seller (with GSP) agreed on a certain amount on shipping, not send by GSP. Seller agreed to refund the difference once the buyer paid. but in the end found out that the seller can not do that refund (the shipping amount was treated as a separate transaction to a 3rd party, seller never gets the money). I think at that point they should have cancelled the transaction.... and redo the listing with opting out GSP... but instead seller felt sorry for the buyer so he shipped an extra item out of his pocket, buyer still paid the expensive shipping, winner is still ebay and that GSP 3rd party provider.

maybe the program is relatively new? sellers don't know all the details and giving buyers wrong information. but agree with what you said, definitely lesson learned
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2012
1741 posts
573 upvotes
YKF
ebays global shipping definitely sucks and ive stopped buying from US sellers that use it simply because the gsp charge makes the cost not worth it (eg 11.59 gsp charge on $35 item on top of regular shipping costs by seller).

seeing as how pitney bowes gets a handling fee on top of the shipping on every gsp transaction i doubt this new policy is going away anytime soon. plus, gsp makes it easier for US sellers to ship internationally since they only need to ship it to a depot in Kentucky regardless of where in the world its going. ill stick to buying canadian or countries without gsp in the meantime.

as for what happened to you, the seller should have handled the proper shipping on his end especially if you guys agreed not to use gsp and agreed on a ship cost before hand. did he not realize he was shipping the item to kentucky and not canada? fault lies with seller imo
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2011
2585 posts
1026 upvotes
Winnipeg
stray-sheep wrote: Once you are at check out you can not commit the buy without paying and get the seller to revise the invoice. I should have messaged the seller again and again to make sure he knows I want to ship by USPS otherwise cancel the transaction. But that also means I trust the seller knows what he is doing. The correct way would be changing the item listing with GSP opted out - but either of us know that at that point. I've read a case where the buyer and seller (with GSP) agreed on a certain amount on shipping, not send by GSP. Seller agreed to refund the difference once the buyer paid. but in the end found out that the seller can not do that refund (the shipping amount was treated as a separate transaction to a 3rd party, seller never gets the money). I think at that point they should have cancelled the transaction.... and redo the listing with opting out GSP... but instead seller felt sorry for the buyer so he shipped an extra item out of his pocket, buyer still paid the expensive shipping, winner is still ebay and that GSP 3rd party provider.

maybe the program is relatively new? sellers don't know all the details and giving buyers wrong information. but agree with what you said, definitely lesson learned
huh? I've always been able to purchase something and before paying, it gives me the option to request a new invoice from the seller...
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
soulchief wrote: huh? I've always been able to purchase something and before paying, it gives me the option to request a new invoice from the seller...
??? really???
winning a bidding or buy it now? because I looked and looked and couldn't find that option for "buy it now"... if you do "add to cart" there was a link for "request total from seller" but it was grayed out - saying that you can't request for items that require immediate payment. would love to know how you do it to avoid hassle next time
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
AtticusFinch wrote: as for what happened to you, the seller should have handled the proper shipping on his end especially if you guys agreed not to use gsp and agreed on a ship cost before hand. did he not realize he was shipping the item to kentucky and not canada? fault lies with seller imo
He said (after it's been shipped) he saw the US address and he Thought that I've changed my mind for not using GSP... because he thought that I chose that GSP option at check out... he doesn't know that we international buyer don't have a choice (actually he claimed that used to be a choice for international buyer at check out but it has been changed), plus he missed the note that was attached with the transaction for requesting changing shipping method.
Even if he saw the note, he still wouldn't be able to change the shipping method or adjust the amount at his end (this I didn't know until after the fact), but at least he could cancel the transaction at that point.
I'll say no one wins except ebay and pitney bowes in this case. I'll consider that's my one time lesson fee to GSP
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20785 posts
6260 upvotes
GTA
stray-sheep wrote: ??? really???
winning a bidding or buy it now? because I looked and looked and couldn't find that option for "buy it now"... if you do "add to cart" there was a link for "request total from seller" but it was grayed out - saying that you can't request for items that require immediate payment. would love to know how you do it to avoid hassle next time
I believe its at the drop down menu in your eBay account summary page where it lists all items watched, bought, missed or sold. Each row is an item and have a drop down menu for stuff like "contact seller", "request invoice", "leave feedback", etc.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: I believe its at the drop down menu in your eBay account summary page where it lists all items watched, bought, missed or sold. Each row is an item and have a drop down menu for stuff like "contact seller", "request invoice", "leave feedback", etc.
Take this item as an example 131110130077
I can add to watch list, add to cart, or buy it now etc.... on summary page, the drop down menu you mentioned I saw all those options you said EXCEPT request invoice... did I miss something??
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
10987 posts
2800 upvotes
Victoria
Luckily I read about this program on RFD months ago so the only time I've paid out for it, I did so because I added the cost of that fee in my math.

From what I understand, once a seller opts into that program they have to ship through pitney bowes for all international orders. They can't not do it. Ebay automatically charges the fee on all of their auctions. The only way for sellers to not charge it, is to opt out all together.

I disagree with the program (the same way I did went amazon.com started charging import fees). Canada Post/CBSA is pretty slack when it comes to orders coming over the border. The limit is $20 but most stuff under $100 seems to get through without a tax charge. I'd rather tax my chances with USPS/Canada Post than be forced to pay fees.

Ebay is worse than amazon because your basically paying shipping twice. The seller has to ship it to pitney bowes who then ships it to you. Not a very cost effective way to ship.

I avoid sellers than enroll in this program whenever possible. I think I bought one thing that used it and the price on the auction was low enough I still came out ahead paying the fee.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 1, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
From what I understand, once a seller opts into that program they have to ship through pitney bowes for all international orders. They can't not do it. Ebay automatically charges the fee on all of their auctions. The only way for sellers to not charge it, is to opt out all together.
I've read it from another discussion board that the seller can opt out on individual listing. you have to uncheck a box or something as you list each item... I'm not an ebay seller anymore so I'm not sure.
zod wrote: I disagree with the program (the same way I did went amazon.com started charging import fees). Canada Post/CBSA is pretty slack when it comes to orders coming over the border. The limit is $20 but most stuff under $100 seems to get through without a tax charge. I'd rather tax my chances with USPS/Canada Post than be forced to pay fees. Ebay is worse than amazon because your basically paying shipping twice. The seller has to ship it to pitney bowes who then ships it to you. Not a very cost effective way to ship.

I avoid sellers than enroll in this program whenever possible. I think I bought one thing that used it and the price on the auction was low enough I still came out ahead paying the fee.
+1. The charges on pitney bowes is very unclear, it's a whole sum including all kinds of fees with no break down... I hope they didn't include duty because my item is under the limit.

just want to warn buyers that even when the seller promise for a cheaper shipping rate than GSP and said they would adjust the amount after you paid, don't go for it because the seller probably does not know how it actually works. keep bugging the seller to change his listing to opt out (if that's even possible) to avoid this hassle.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2005
4421 posts
1887 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Burned by it

Never again
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
stray-sheep wrote: winner is still pitney bowes
BINGO!

The charge even comes up separately on your credit card directly to Pitney Bowes - what a scam.

I understand why US sellers might be tempted by it, it makes their work easier, but after being ripped off the first time, the Canadian buyer market will surely dry up.

In my own recent example, I got a great deal on a $40 item and the seller agreed to ship it for $15 USPS, however he could not turn off the Global Shipping option and the shipping cost ended up being over $50 CDN!

Bastards.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
939 upvotes
Newmarket
I do not buy if they don't ship USPS, few times asked the seller if they offer the option of USPS but they either say no or don't respond, too bad, they just loose the potential buyer. Canadian market is pretty small but if more international buyers reject this option maybe they will think twice, on the other hand probably not since huge percentage of US sellers ship only to US.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2003
2358 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Years ago I learned not to deal with anyone who only ships via UPS.

Now, I will not deal with anyone who uses the GSP.

Unfortunately, it's really cut my ebay purchasing significantly. Then again, I'm saving a ton of money on crap that I really don't need. :)

Not sure if it will really make a difference, but the only way to deal with it is to vote with your wallet. Sellers who a lot of international trade will pick up on it quickly and make the necessary changes to their policies.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
939 upvotes
Newmarket
I just made a deal with US seller to switch to USPS from global shipping, it was on buy now/best offer, so basically we agreed to a buy now price which already included shipping and offered free USPS shipping with it. I didn't save on the shipping fee in this case, but saved on brokerage fees/taxes (most likely, never been dinged for it by the postal service).

He did say that he thought he opted out of it already (guess not though, maybe it isn't very clear how to do that) because number of times buyers refused to pay due to that, so maybe the message will start getting through or they will simply stop shipping outside US.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6869 posts
2667 upvotes
BC
Homerhomer wrote: I just made a deal with US seller to switch to USPS from global shipping, it was on buy now/best offer .......
I hope that seller really knows a way to keep Pitney Bowes out of it when he invoices you and prints a shipping label.

As indicated by the OP and several others above, with B.I.N. there doesn't seem to be a way, but maybe the Best Offer twist gives the seller a chance to gain control back.

If he is not system savvy you might find GPS rears its ugly head anyway and you both get bitten dollar-wise.

The consensus seems to be that a seller has to opt out of GPS ahead of confirming the listing.

Hope it does work out for you - let us know.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
macnut wrote: The consensus seems to be that a seller has to opt out of GPS ahead of confirming the listing.

Hope it does work out for you - let us know.
I am also interested in hearing about the outcome - - did you have any luck?

Top