• Jul 14th, 2021 1:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21169 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto

eBay International Standard Delivery?

Would you buy anything with eBay International Standard Delivery?

I'm considering getting some ancient computer memory from the US for less than US$20 plus shipping, but they use eBay International Standard Delivery and I don't know what that means in terms of shipper and brokerage costs.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3523 posts
1636 upvotes
Ottawa
Apparently it means it's USPS for delivery

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/sh ... ivery.html

There's no duties or brokerage fees at checkout, but if CBSA assesses it, then Canada post will collect it from you + a brokerage fee (~$7 or $10, IIRC)

A section from the FAQ in the link above:
What’s the difference between eBay international standard delivery and the Global Shipping Program?
eBay international standard delivery is a Delivered Duties Unpaid (DDU) shipping solution—buyers won’t pay duties and tax at checkout on eBay, but may have to pay the carrier for duties and tax on delivery. The Global Shipping Program (GSP) is a Delivery Duties Paid (DDP) shipping program—buyers pay duties and tax during checkout on eBay via GSP. eBay international standard delivery gives you full control of what you want to charge buyers for shipping (Free, Flat, Calculated) from end to end. With GSP, the buyer always sees the GSP shipping charges, and also any costs you set for the domestic shipping leg (Free, Flat, Calculated).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21169 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm. USPS is fine although I wonder if there will be any delays at the border due to the Canada Post backlog.

Also I see another seller just shipping with USPS without invoking this eBay International Standard Delivery category. I wonder why one would choose USPS directly and another would go through this to get USPS indirectly.
Jan 3, 2015
172 posts
137 upvotes
Delta, BC
I think ebay international standard delivery is what a seller selects if they havent decided on a carrier. Global shipping on the other hand is a Pitney Bowes logistics service where the seller ships to a US warehouse, the buyer prepays duty and taxes and PB handles the paperwork and logistics for getting the package over the border before it is handed to Canada Post for final delivery.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13275 posts
12061 upvotes
I am tracking an eBay item from US using eBay International Standard Delivery.

The sellers dropped off the item at USPS. USPS delivers my eBay item to DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER. DHL may be handle my item going through Canada Custom. IDK. But I will update this post when it goes through the system.

It is an eBay used item about C$100. Any chance that Canada Custom will not charge GST.
If Canada Custom charges GST, how much DHL will charge me for doing the Canada Custom clearing document?
I know CP charge COD fee to collect the GST.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 7GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3767 posts
2444 upvotes
London
embguy wrote: I am tracking an eBay item from US using eBay International Standard Delivery.

The sellers dropped off the item at USPS. USPS delivers my eBay item to DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER. DHL may be handle my item going through Canada Custom. IDK. But I will update this post when it goes through the system.

It is an eBay used item about C$100. Any chance that Canada Custom will not charge GST.
If Canada Custom charges GST, how much DHL will charge me for doing the Canada Custom clearing document?
I know CP charge COD fee to collect the GST.
there is a few of those services were ups and dhl and fedex and purolator partner up with usps and canada post pretty much who ever has an empty truck that day of the week advances the package till it reaches the boarder. once there it will be handed over to canada customs same as any usps package would. since its still the same as a postal package anything over $20 cad could be charge tax plus 9.95 handling but 90% of the time customs just lets it slide unless its well over 100 cad i've had stuff upto 200 go though no fee but its all random and depends if ur package gets selected.

once the package clears customs if u put the tracking number in on canada post they now will tell u ahead of time if money is due and u can pre pay it online if u wish.

if u do get unlucky and ur package is taxed it will be tax for your area plus 9.95 handling. ie for Ontario its 13% plus 9.95.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13275 posts
12061 upvotes
@aaron158 Thanks for the info.
Latest tracking update: Scanned into sack/container by DHL.
So, DHL is just taking eBay items to Canada Custom. CP will take over to deliver my item.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3767 posts
2444 upvotes
London
embguy wrote: @aaron158 Thanks for the info.
Latest tracking update: Scanned into sack/container by DHL.
So, DHL is just taking eBay items to Canada Custom. CP will take over to deliver my item.
ya the only time dhl handles final delivery is if the package is shipped dhl express.
Nov 11, 2020
1 posts
@embguy how did your package end up being delivered? Canada post? Just curious as i dont want my item cleared by DHL as they will charge additional fees.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13275 posts
12061 upvotes
KevinS13751 wrote: @embguy how did your package end up being delivered? Canada post? Just curious as i dont want my item cleared by DHL as they will charge additional fees.
I think DHL has a contract with USPS to deliver packages from a location to another location.
eBay tracking is showing DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER.
USPS tracking does not mention DHL at all.

For about a week(may be longer), USPS does not showing any tracking using eBay tracking #.
At some point, eBay tracking number was changed to USPS tracking number.
Mar 12, 2013
177 posts
104 upvotes
embguy wrote: @embguy how did your package end up being delivered? Canada post? Just curious as i dont want my item cleared by DHL as they will charge additional fees.
So was it Canada Post and did you have to pay usual $10 fee + any duties/taxes ?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13275 posts
12061 upvotes
montevilla wrote: So was it Canada Post and did you have to pay usual $10 fee + any duties/taxes ?
Canada Post delivered my package.

I use this tracking site to track the eBay International Standard Delivery # until it left USA.
Then, this site gave me another tracking number which is a USPS tracking # after my package left USA.
I use Canada Post to track it to my house. You can provide an email address for delivery and exception notification. You will get an exception email if your package needs to pay sales tax. Then, you can pay online and get it delivered to your house without the delay going to PO to pay and pick up.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1086 posts
514 upvotes
has anyone used eBay International Standard Delivery recently? from my understading, seller will send the item locally to an ebay shipping center and they will be handling the international shipment?

When it arrives Canada, is it forwarded to Canada Post? Or it can be courier like DHL, Fedex, UPS?
Dec 6, 2012
542 posts
330 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I did a few months ago, a 25$ product, it looks like it is shipped by DHL in the USA, then to a distribution center, then to USPS then to Canada post. I didn't pay taxes on it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1086 posts
514 upvotes
Magister wrote: I did a few months ago, a 25$ product, it looks like it is shipped by DHL in the USA, then to a distribution center, then to USPS then to Canada post. I didn't pay taxes on it.
Thanks. How long did it take to get to you? It's much cheaper compared to have seller shipped directly by USPS but since it's going to a reship center, I am expecting longer delivery time...
Dec 6, 2012
542 posts
330 upvotes
Montréal, QC
jjesskaka wrote: Thanks. How long did it take to get to you? It's much cheaper compared to have seller shipped directly by USPS but since it's going to a reship center, I am expecting longer delivery time...
I don't remember well but at one point there was no tracking info updates, but it tooks something like 3-4 weeks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)