Shopping Discussion

Ebay not letting you buy/sell an Android Box...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2020 7:45 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
859 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto

Ebay not letting you buy/sell an Android Box...

So Ebay wouldn't let me list an Android box. The automatic denial says "This item is not permitted under the Electronics Equipment policy. Please do not relist".

I used it to watch Netflix and don't need it anymore since my last TV upgrade.

I read their Policy ( https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohi ... cy?id=4302 ) and found no reason why it would be prohibited. It doesn't transmit or receive signals, nor is is "surveillance".

Ebay's policy states:
The following types of electronic equipment are not allowed:

Electronic items prohibited by government agencies, including cell phone, GPS radar, and other signal jamming devices. More information on Canadian regulations can be found here
So I called Ebay, and asked, exactly how did it violate the policy? I can't see why.

But once you remove the brand name, Ebay allows the listing. Weird, since the same brand name makes other junk.

Anyone have this experience? Who do you think is really behind this? The government? Or did Rogers/Bell/Telus say it's unlawful and Ebay just took their word for it without verifying with government?

What next, DOCSIS or DSL modems being banned from sale because they weren't sold by incumbent telecoms? Terminal equipment covers a ton of things, including "Voip", "modem" and "other", but not Set-Top-Boxes.

I guess Ebay doesn't care if Aliexpress eats its golden goose...
Last edited by HammerRFDer on Jan 8th, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
HammerRFDer wrote: So Ebay wouldn't let me list an Android box. The automatic denial says "This item is not permitted under the Electronics Equipment policy. Please do not relist".

I used it to watch Netflix and don't need it anymore since my last TV upgrade.

I read their Policy ( https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohi ... cy?id=4302 ) and found no reason why it would be prohibited. It doesn't transmit or receive signals, nor is is "surveillance".

Ebay's policy states:

So I called Ebay, and asked, exactly how did it violate the policy? I can't see why.

But once you remove the brand name, Ebay allows the listing. Weird, since the same brand name makes other junk.

Anyone have this experience? Who do you think is really behind this? The government? Or did Rogers/Bell/Telus say it's unlawful and Ebay just took their word for it without verifying with government?

I guess Ebay doesn't care if Aliexpress eats its golden goose...
I surprised you are asking. Android boxes are used to receive service that costs money but you are getting it for free and not paying. I dont disagree with taking advantage of this loophole but questioning why you cant sell on ebay is silly.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
859 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: I surprised you are asking. Android boxes are used to receive service that costs money but you are getting it for free and not paying. I dont disagree with taking advantage of this loophole but questioning why you cant sell on ebay is silly.
It's a general purpose computer that connects to your TV. I really don't understand the prohibition.

What next, banning 6m HDMI cables because they don't meet the official HDMI specs, but are *really* used to connect your computer to your TV and that must mean it's being used illegally?
Last edited by HammerRFDer on Jan 8th, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 14, 2017
286 posts
281 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: I surprised you are asking. Android boxes are used to receive service that costs money but you are getting it for free and not paying. I dont disagree with taking advantage of this loophole but questioning why you cant sell on ebay is silly.
Careful not to fall in-line with the rest of the sheep pal. Using your logic, you shouldn't be able to buy a lock-picking set either, and yet here we are (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-Pcs-Unlockin ... SwRjRdaX-t).

I agree with the OP, it's a ridiculous prohibition. OP, perhaps look to sell items on a decentralized market place? Honestly, I am not familiar with any myself, but I would like to be.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
HammerRFDer wrote: It's a general purpose computer that connects to your TV. I really don't understand the prohibition.
Lol. That can be used to get PPV movies, boxing, UFC and other programming that should be paid for.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
859 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Lol. That can be used to get PPV movies, boxing, UFC and other programming that should be paid for.
So can whatever you're typing on. What's your point?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
7865875 wrote: Careful not to fall in-line with the rest of the sheep pal. Using your logic, you shouldn't be able to buy a lock-picking set either, and yet here we are (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-Pcs-Unlockin ... SwRjRdaX-t).

I agree with the OP, it's a ridiculous prohibition. OP, perhaps look to sell items on a decentralized market place? Honestly, I am not familiar with any myself, but I would like to be.
Its just common sense. Anything illegal in the jurisdiction in which you are selling should not be allowed to be sold on ebay. Example radar detectors are illegal in Canada. They should not be allowed to be listed for sale on ebay in Canada. Radar detectors are allowed in the USA so are allowed to be listed and sold on ebay in the US.

That is one of the biggest problems in the world right now. Who effin cares what the rules are. Who effin cares whats right. Lets try to work around all the rules. Why do you think its right to buy and sell anything that is illegal? Its like buying a $5000.00 dollar tv from the back of a truck and justify it by saying the big box stores charge too much. Its ok I'm not hurting anybody. Anything that you do that isn't right hurts something or somebody. Think about that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
HammerRFDer wrote: So can whatever you're typing on. What's your point?
The point is what I'm typing on is legal. If I choose to try and find PPV etc that is my choice to do something illegal. By buying an android box you are already saying you are going to do something illegal. Nobody spends money for an android box to watch free tv. lol
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
859 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say?
The computer/phone you're typing on is no different than an Android box connected to a TV.
You can't say one is okay without saying the other is too.

An android box is a computer. You can hook up a keyboard, mouse and screen to it. And many do. So where's the problem?

A radar detector does one thing. And even then, it's legal to have if you leave it off while in Canada and only turn on when in some US states.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
HammerRFDer wrote: The computer/phone you're typing on is no different than an Android box connected to a TV.
You can't say one is okay without saying the other is too.

An android box is a computer. You can hook up a keyboard, mouse and screen to it. And many do. So where's the problem?

A radar detector does one thing. And even then, it's legal to have if you leave it off while in Canada and only turn on when in some US states.

I not sure why you are arguing this. You dont buy an android box to search the web for information. You buy an android box to receive illegal content. End of discussion.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
859 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: I not sure why you are arguing this. You dont buy an android box to search the web for information. You buy an android box to receive illegal content. End of discussion.
No, that's what some people pay $$$/month for. The rest use it to cast/watch Netflix on their perfectly good used dumb TVs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8280 posts
2182 upvotes
Mississauga
HammerRFDer wrote: No, that's what some people pay $$$/month for. The rest use it to cast/watch Netflix on their perfectly good used dumb TVs.
Without paying Netflix there monthly fee. You crack me up. lol. keep digging.
Dec 14, 2017
286 posts
281 upvotes
@antigua1999 , honestly man, I have no clue what you're talking about.
I've owned 6 Android TV boxes in the last 6 years and I have never once used them for nefarious purposes.

I use them to stream my own local content, Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Video. All of which is paid for?

I could go download an app right now and install a modified .apk on all of my Android devices that streams illegal content but I would rather not.
Last edited by 7865875 on Jan 9th, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.