Shopping Discussion

Ebay not letting you buy/sell an Android Box...

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2020 7:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8366 posts
2234 upvotes
Mississauga
7865875 wrote: @antigua1999 , honestly man, I have no clue what you're talking about.
I've owned 6 Android TV boxes in the last 6 years and I have never once used them for nefarious purposes.

I use them to stream my own local content, Netflex, Disney+, and Amazon Video. All of which is paid for?

I could go download an app right now and install a modified .apk on all of my Android devices that streams illegal content but I would rather not.
Well. If what you say is accurate I apologise but I dont believe for a minute you would buy 6 android boxes in 6 years. These boxes are very very very very easy to upgrade so there is no reason to buy 6 unless your watching " wink wink "
Member
Oct 22, 2016
367 posts
267 upvotes
Comox Valley
HammerRFDer wrote: A radar detector does one thing. And even then, it's legal to have if you leave it off while in Canada and only turn on when in some US states.
Radar detector is legal in BC to use. If we are considered part of Canada.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10303 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
HammerRFDer wrote: So Ebay wouldn't let me list an Android box. The automatic denial says "This item is not permitted under the Electronics Equipment policy. Please do not relist".

I used it to watch Netflix and don't need it anymore since my last TV upgrade.

I read their Policy ( https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohi ... cy?id=4302 ) and found no reason why it would be prohibited. It doesn't transmit or receive signals, nor is is "surveillance".

Ebay's policy states:



So I called Ebay, and asked, exactly how did it violate the policy? I can't see why.

But once you remove the brand name, Ebay allows the listing. Weird, since the same brand name makes other junk.

Anyone have this experience? Who do you think is really behind this? The government? Or did Rogers/Bell/Telus say it's unlawful and Ebay just took their word for it without verifying with government?

What next, DOCSIS or DSL modems being banned from sale because they weren't sold by incumbent telecoms? Terminal equipment covers a ton of things, including "Voip", "modem" and "other", but not Set-Top-Boxes.

I guess Ebay doesn't care if Aliexpress eats its golden goose...
Probably because for the most part they're advertised as coming pre-installed with software that is obviously used for pirating content that shouldn't be provided. If these were sold not loaded already with well known software then I wouldn't see it being a problem.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that any android box with kodi pre-installed is likely going to have a ton of other stuff installed already.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 13, 2007
867 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Probably because for the most part they're advertised as coming pre-installed with software that is obviously used for pirating content that shouldn't be provided. If these were sold not loaded already with well known software then I wouldn't see it being a problem.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that any android box with kodi pre-installed is likely going to have a ton of other stuff installed already.
Nothing pre-installed. No mention of any software included. Only the mention that it will be factory-reset before shipping. Just the blank box like it came from the factory.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10303 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
HammerRFDer wrote: Nothing pre-installed. No mention of any software included. Only the mention that it will be factory-reset before shipping. Just the blank box like it came from the factory.
You're missing the overall point though. Because it was a major problem and probably still is, they just want nothing to do with it anymore regardless of whether or not it has extra software and programs pre installed or not. They're limiting any sort of liability involved and I can't blame them either.

It's like way way back in the mod chip days. Large suppliers were accepting PayPal until one day PayPal did what they're famous for and basically stole every sellers money (including mine which thankfully didn't have much left in it at the time). They then banned any and all transactions relating to these devices. But why? I can use it to run software that was made in people's home and distributed for free! It didn't mean I was automatically pirating everything right?

But let's be real here. We all know exactly why people were buying them for 99% of the time. And this is why PayPal decided not to be involved anymore and were probably being pressured by the 3 major companies.

It is what it is and I'm not specifically defending cable companies, developers or movie studios but at some point it should be pretty obvious as to why you can't sell it on eBay's platform.

As an example, if I go into my local flea market and ask for an android or iptv box with no software, they're going to say it's all pre loaded from factory anyways.


I myself can't stand android boxes and get whatever I want to watch from elsewhere. The video quality is always garbage on those boxes.
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
912 posts
858 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Probably because for the most part they're advertised as coming pre-installed with software that is obviously used for pirating content that shouldn't be provided. If these were sold not loaded already with well known software then I wouldn't see it being a problem.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that any android box with kodi pre-installed is likely going to have a ton of other stuff installed already.
This.

*Disclaimer, I used to buy these in the past for the sole purpose of circumventing having to pay for content. I had 4 in my house at one point, one for each tv.

The vast majority of these users were using them to watch content they should have paid for but never did due to the ability to circumvent paying for the services. A few years ago facebook, kijiji, flea markets and retail stores and other various places were flooded with ads selling these devices promoting that ability as the main selling feature.

Unless your head was buried in the sand you couldn't miss these ads or these retailers as they were everywhere . Nor could you miss the massive media campaign or the attempts by companies such as Bell and Rogers and other US companies suing individuals selling these boxes because of the main purpose they were used for.

You can disagree with Ebay all you want but your naive if you don't understand their reasoning behind it. I have my doubts that you are that naive due to you the content in your post and your references to Bell, Rogers etc so why make a post asking the reasoning behind their policy when their thought process is very clear regardless if you agree with it or not?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1653 posts
667 upvotes
London
antigua1999 wrote: By buying an android box you are already saying you are going to do something illegal. Nobody spends money for an android box to watch free tv. lol
That's quite the assumption.

It is a box (computer) with the OS being Android.
That some people install apps that are used for questionable legal purposes is irrelevant.
They also have perfectly "legal" purposes.
We may as well ban desktop Windows "boxes" because somebody uses them for illegal torrents.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18337 posts
10932 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
antigua1999 wrote: I not sure why you are arguing this.
Because he has a point. And more importantly, because his point is valid and correct.

You dont buy an android box to search the web for information. You buy an android box to receive illegal content. End of discussion.
Bullshit!

You can use an Android box to watch all sorts of free content like YouTube, TED Talks, as well as free content from apps provided by TV stations and networks. There's absolutely nothing illegal about that. To the contrary the app sponsors encourage people to watch their content. There's no reason why one shouldn't be able to sell Android boxes for that purpose.

Yes, you can also use an Android box to watch unlicensed stuff. Just as you can with any computer running Windows, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, etc. as well as on smartphones and even now home assistant devices. Why doesn't eBay ban listing for all those devices?

At one point eBay and Amazon carried Android boxes that included Kodi preinstalled with links to all sorts of pirated content. Sellers would tout how their box would allow you to "cut the cord" and watch everything (and more) that you were now paying for, for free using their box. Understandably the content providers got upset and put pressure on eBay to stop these sales practices. So eBay (and Amazon et al) required that these listings delete references to illegal content. That's fair. Banning listings for all Android boxes, including those that have no content apps installed, is not.

P.S. Note that ebay and Amazon continue to sell new Android boxes: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=android+box and https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=android+box&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
veni, vidi, Visa
Member
Dec 14, 2017
294 posts
286 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Well. If what you say is accurate I apologise but I dont believe for a minute you would buy 6 android boxes in 6 years. These boxes are very very very very easy to upgrade so there is no reason to buy 6 unless your watching " wink wink "
I have 3 TV rooms in my house, so I upgraded all of my Nexus Players to Nvidia Shields.
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2004
642 posts
201 upvotes
Scarborough
Ebay also has used Android boxes. OP there may an issue with your description not your listing per se. Look at the description of some used Android boxes on eBay and use the same wordings, that may fly.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26040 posts
11487 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Example radar detectors are illegal in Canada. They should not be allowed to be listed for sale on ebay in Canada. Radar detectors are allowed in the USA so are allowed to be listed and sold on ebay in the US.
I mean... I get that Toronto is the center of the universe, but radar detectors are legal in BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.

antigua1999 wrote:
Well. If what you say is accurate I apologise but I dont believe for a minute you would buy 6 android boxes in 6 years. These boxes are very very very very easy to upgrade so there is no reason to buy 6 unless your watching " wink wink "
It's not that unfeasible.
Two TVs in living/family and one in the master.
Toss on a kid or two and there's 5. Break one or upgrade and there's 6.

And while I'm not an expert in android boxes since I use something else I wasn't aware that these boxes were upgradeable hardware wise.
I always thought it'd make more sense just to buy a new one that has a faster CPU and supports a more modern android version.
User452441 wrote: Radar detector is legal in BC to use. If we are considered part of Canada.
Nah. Ontario is the only province in Canada.
BC is just a suburb.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18337 posts
10932 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
antigua1999 wrote: I dont believe for a minute you would buy 6 android boxes in 6 years. These boxes are very very very very easy to upgrade so there is no reason to buy 6 unless your watching " wink wink "
1. What does "ease of upgrade" have to do with how many Android boxes someone has?
2. New models with new hardware that support new features come out all the time. How do you upgrade to these, easily or not, without buying a new box?
3. What does the number of Android boxes that someone has have to do with whether one uses them to watch content legitimately or watching "wink wink"?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8366 posts
2234 upvotes
Mississauga
bylo wrote: 1. What does "ease of upgrade" have to do with how many Android boxes someone has?
2. New models with new hardware that support new features come out all the time. How do you upgrade to these, easily or not, without buying a new box?
3. What does the number of Android boxes that someone has have to do with whether one uses them to watch content legitimately or watching "wink wink"?
We both know the answer. I'm not sure why your beating this dead horse.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26040 posts
11487 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: We both know the answer. I'm not sure why your beating this dead horse.
Care to enlighten a 3rd party?

I can't figure out the answer to any of these questions.

Top