ebay seller trying to charge tax after the sale

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 2:12 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes

ebay seller trying to charge tax after the sale

Hi all. Just wanted some opinions on this. Yesterday I bought a laptop from a reputable seller on ebay (they've got 100,000+ positive feedback) for a certain price. They are a business in Ontario and I'm also in Ontario. When I went to checkout there was no sales tax on the purchase, so I paid the listed price in Canadian dollars plus the shipping.

This morning I got a shipping notification from them saying it's being shipped. A few hours later I received an email from them saying that because of an error, they were supposed to charge tax but didn't, and I could either pay a separate invoice for the tax or get a refund on the item.

So now I have to pay hundreds of dollars more for the item if I still want it, which I do, but I'm pretty bitter about it because it is now much less of a great deal. Do I have any grounds to get my item for the price I initially agreed to pay or should I just suck it up and pay the tax?
39 replies
Aug 5, 2005
238 posts
145 upvotes
birdmin wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 12:51 pm
Hi all. Just wanted some opinions on this. Yesterday I bought a laptop from a reputable seller on ebay (they've got 100,000+ positive feedback) for a certain price. They are a business in Ontario and I'm also in Ontario. When I went to checkout there was no sales tax on the purchase, so I paid the listed price in Canadian dollars plus the shipping.

This morning I got a shipping notification from them saying it's being shipped. A few hours later I received an email from them saying that because of an error, they were supposed to charge tax but didn't, and I could either pay a separate invoice for the tax or get a refund on the item.

So now I have to pay hundreds of dollars more for the item if I still want it, which I do, but I'm pretty bitter about it because it is now much less of a great deal. Do I have any grounds to get my item for the price I initially agreed to pay or should I just suck it up and pay the tax?
How is it you have to pay hundreds of dollars more? Taxes are only 13% on the final charges. They acknowledge there mistake and offer you the choice, so it's up to you to take it or not, and if not then you get your cash back. It might be a little dirty on their end but that's eBay for you
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28086 posts
13899 upvotes
Ottawa
Deal is done, too bad for the vendor!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
$n00ker wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 12:58 pm
How is it you have to pay hundreds of dollars more? Taxes are only 13% on the final charges. They acknowledge there mistake and offer you the choice, so it's up to you to take it or not, and if not then you get your cash back. It might be a little dirty on their end but that's eBay for you
It's an expensive laptop. You're right, "hundreds" makes it sound extreme but it is over $200 in tax.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:03 pm
Deal is done, too bad for the vendor!
That's what I'm thinking but how can I enforce that?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10867 posts
1820 upvotes
chances are the "shipped" is not ship. Just a printed label.

so you really have one option, you want it? pay the tax
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28086 posts
13899 upvotes
Ottawa
birdmin wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
That's what I'm thinking but how can I enforce that?
You can dispute the new charge with Ebay.
Millions of items are sold on Ebay and it's up to the vendor to disclose and add the charges properly on their listing.
You paid exactly what was required of you on the final page.
Oct 5, 2004
934 posts
764 upvotes
Vancouver
IMO, a purchase on eBay is a binding contract, regardless of if there was a price error or configuration error made. OP should be entitled to that price, and if the seller doesn't fulfill, has full rights to give bad feedback. Is it right or moral for a simple mistake, perhaps not, but its the cost of doing business.

Does that mean the OP will get the product for that price? Absolutely not. The seller can just walk away. But that won't stop OP from posting bad feedback.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
a_dee wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:10 pm
IMO, a purchase on eBay is a binding contract, regardless of if there was a price error or configuration error made. OP should be entitled to that price, and if the seller doesn't fulfill, has full rights to give bad feedback. Is it right or moral for a simple mistake, perhaps not, but its the cost of doing business.

Does that mean the OP will get the product for that price? Absolutely not. The seller can just walk away. But that won't stop OP from posting bad feedback.
Ya I think this is where I'm left. The shipment is being held until I pay the tax so I guess if I want it, I'm gonna have to pay up. Leaving a negative review doesn't really get me anywhere. Bummer
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4938 posts
4853 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:11 pm
So you bought a laptop that is around 7 thousand dollars on eBay, hmmm
Huh? HST in Ontario is 13%. $200 in HST would have been about a $1,500 purchase. Not sure where you got $7,000 from.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
$n00ker wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:11 pm
So you bought a laptop that is around 7 thousand dollars on eBay, hmmm
Yikes dude. :facepalm:
Aug 5, 2005
238 posts
145 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:15 pm
Huh? HST in Ontario is 13%. $200 in HST would have been about a $1,500 purchase. Not sure where you got $7,000 from.
Yeah, you're right my mistake
Aug 5, 2005
238 posts
145 upvotes
birdmin wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:16 pm
Yikes dude. :facepalm:
lol My error even still, it's eBay though there many dirty sellers and you happen to get one
Aug 5, 2005
238 posts
145 upvotes
who did you buy it from? Start here with the bad feed back