Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver

Ebook readers? Which one

Not sure if this should be moved but I’m looking for a deal on an ebook reader. And I’m not sure which one. Kobo or Kindle? Can files be converted between kobo and kindle via calibre?

Kobo does allow me to login to my library. That’s a big caveat.

Any help is appreciated. I have been looking at the KOBO AURA H2O EDITION 2

Thanks
24 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2014
1044 posts
551 upvotes
Kindle. easily.

But Audiobooks are the shizznit now. Get yourself Overdrive for your phone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
paul29m wrote: Kindle. easily.

But Audiobooks are the shizznit now. Get yourself Overdrive for your phone.
Huh re audiobooks? And I do have overdrive.
Jun 21, 2009
97 posts
23 upvotes
If you want Canadian library use, Kobo. All current models sold on Chapters are supposed to be able to sync or borrow right on the ereader to Overdrive.
Kindles are only library compatible with no DRM breaking in the USA.

Use your phone/tablet for the best of all worlds/vendors. If you have a high enough resolution screen, you may find it fine for your reading needs, especially for just fiction (no pictures, charts, etc.)

I was pleasantly surprised I can read on my phone (~ 400 ppi), especially when I use dimming options/app. Also try different text/background colour combos (sepia tone background, dark background, custom colours, etc.) I have an old Kobo that's still works, but I'm not sure I'm going to replace it with another eink device once it dies.

If you are mostly interested in out of copyright Classics, you can get those free from places like Standard Ebooks and vendor stores.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Aww ok thanks iced tea. I am using the iPad Pro currently if that matters. Maybe I’ll give it a shot and see if works for me.
Jun 21, 2009
97 posts
23 upvotes
No problem :)
If you care about learning to break DRM so you can backup your purchased books later, just note that Apple DRM has not been cracked, I think. So explore Apple freebies only? (Amazon, and Kobo, Google Play which uses Adobe DRM are fine.)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm ya thus why I’m thinking of kobo/kindle device? I want to put calibre app to work. I think this allows me to convert.
And not sure I want to read on my 10” tablet. Hmmm.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1605 posts
990 upvotes
Calgary
It depends on which eco-system you prefer. I prefer amazon since I have a membership from SPL. Also Amazon Prime will let you choose free books with Prime reading or Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

Anyways, if you want a kobo, get clara hd. If you want kindle, get ppw4.

Hint: Buy Indigo GC from promotion (20% off) and use these GC for a kobo device.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
I tried one of the amazon reading trials and I couldn’t find anything worthwhile. I think it was kindle owners library.

Re. 20% off...u mean when these deals happen? There isn’t one now is there ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Just saw this on kobo site.

Kobo Gift Cards are not redeemable for eReaders.

Indigo cards are different?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11819 posts
6884 upvotes
Markham
One factor to be considered is font size. You can easily adjust font size in Kobo for different size, but in Kindle, you can only select the font size that come with Kindle
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13137 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Font size will matter Crying Face i have reading glasses. I would prefer to ditch those for larger font. Hopefully that works. But still font size would matter to me.

Thanks
Sep 6, 2008
170 posts
52 upvotes
smartie wrote: One factor to be considered is font size. You can easily adjust font size in Kobo for different size, but in Kindle, you can only select the font size that come with Kindle
What are you talking about? Do you mean TYPE FACE? Kindle has 10 type faces and like 20 sizes
Sep 6, 2008
170 posts
52 upvotes
- Want to use a Canadian library lending system utilizing Overdrive? Get any Kobo
- Need it to be waterproof? Get a current generation Kindle Paperwhite
- No specific requirements? Flip a coin

Don't listen to anyone who says to read on a phone/tablet, they probably don't read much. eReaders are way easier on your eyes, work amazing in direct sunlight, are lighter size for size and most importantly - incredible battery life.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2034 posts
45 upvotes
Read only during day, Kindle.
Night owl? Kobo with ComfortLight Pro.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
Another vote for kindle. We have 3 and they are great. Really increased our reading consumption.

Can't wait till a colour epaper comes in a few years.
Jun 21, 2005
353 posts
149 upvotes
Library books - Any Kobo
Waterproof - Kobo Aura H2O
Night reading - Kobo with comfort light (all current models I believe)

Basically, the correct answer is Kobo. Clara if you don't need something watrproof, Aura H2O if you do,
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1310 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I can't imagine anyone with a Cdn library card not using Kobo ereader. It's super easy to check out and instantly read on a newer Kobo. If you need "de-DRM" then you'd need to use a computer and Calibre. It's super easy too. Go to Mobileread forums for better discussion.
PM for $125 Code off Peloton Bike
"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Dogs aren't our whole lives......they just make our lives whole.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10703 posts
4063 upvotes
Kindle Paperwhite $117.99 from Amazon Prime (8GB, Waterproof and built-in light)
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Candiana wrote: I can't imagine anyone with a Cdn library card not using Kobo ereader. It's super easy to check out and instantly read on a newer Kobo. If you need "de-DRM" then you'd need to use a computer and Calibre. It's super easy too. Go to Mobileread forums for better discussion.
Only problem: Anything worth reading and you will be waiting on Hold for MONTHS to get it... Just forget it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)