Hot Deals

[ebox] 1 month of free Internet with V-cable 15 unlimited and V-cable 30 unlimited packages (Quebec only)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 9:04 am
[OP]
Apr 19, 2019
33 posts
33 upvotes

1 month of free Internet with V-cable 15 unlimited and V-cable 30 unlimited packages (Quebec only)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
ebox
1 month of free Internet with V-cable 15 unlimited and V-cable 30 unlimited packages.

V-cable 15 unlimited at $48.95/Mo
V-cable 30 unlimited at $56.95/Mo

For new customers.
Offer valid for a limited time.
Conditions apply.
Quebec only.
V-cable is for videotron territory

Installation at 0$.
Free transfer from competing Cable Internet Provider.

https://www.ebox.ca/en/quebec/residenti ... es/v-cable
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1045 posts
268 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
Is this a good deal?

Why is the post voted down?
Jan 3, 2017
68 posts
78 upvotes
John47 wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:08 pm
Is this a good deal?

Why is the post voted down?
Probably because it's a horrible deal especially in Quebec. Virgin mobile home internet is 60 bucks for 50 down unlimited without any special deals and that's not a reseller it's straight from Bell.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1723 posts
1081 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How is this a good deal... ?

Altimatel has Cable 30 internet (videotron territory) for $29.99 for first 12 months, and $49.99 afterwards. And it is truly unlimited (I have their cable 60 package and do roughly 1TB per month),and no issues.
There is no installation fee, but you do need to buy the modem ($60 - which is half the cost than ebox) or rent it if you prefer (also cheaper than ebox).

Even colba.net is cheaper... Cable 30 is $46.95/m, or if you prepay for a year it comes to $42.95/m. Modem cost is $70 and they charge and activation fee of $50, but combined with the cost of the modem, it still comes to the cost of just the modem from ebox. Hell, even their cable 60 package is cheaper than this.

Selectcom telecom is $54.95/month for vcable 30, and also has 1 free month. And they include free modem rental, free installation, and unlimited bandwidth also. Not much cheaper, but it is cheaper, and you don't need to pay for a modem (buy or rent).

ebox is just no longer competitive at all. Their customer service has gone down the drain in the last 2 years, and they really don't care about their customers much,. I've had many collegues which have gotten fed up with ebox's lack of customer service and most have switched to Altimatel.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1045 posts
268 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
xmat128x wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:31 pm
Probably because it's a horrible deal especially in Quebec. Virgin mobile home internet is 60 bucks for 50 down unlimited without any special deals and that's not a reseller it's straight from Bell.
Emporium wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:37 pm

Altimatel has Cable 30 internet (videotron territory) for $29.99 for first 12 months, and $49.99 afterwards. And it is truly unlimited (I have their cable 60 package and do roughly 1TB per month),and no issues.
There is no installation fee, but you do need to buy the modem ($60 - which is half the cost than ebox) or rent it if you prefer (also cheaper than ebox).

Even colba.net is cheaper... Cable 30 is $46.95/m, or if you prepay for a year it comes to $42.95/m. Modem cost is $70 and they charge and activation fee of $50, but combined with the cost of the modem, it still comes to the cost of just the modem from ebox. Hell, even their cable 60 package is cheaper than this.

ebox is just no longer competitive at all. Their customer service has gone down the drain in the last 2 years, and they really don't care about their customers much,. I've had many collegues which have gotten fed up with ebox's lack of customer service and most have switched to Altimatel.
Appreciate the answers, guys!

I'm shopping for residential internet.

Ebox has been recommended by a lot of people in my area, so was looking at their promotions.

You're right, their start-up costs are expensive --- $140 for the router and $120 for the modem.

I'm wary of going with providers that I haven't heard recommended by local people.

I'm in a small town halfway between Montreal and Trois-Rivières.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1723 posts
1081 upvotes
Montreal, QC
John47 wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:49 pm
Appreciate the answers, guys!

I'm shopping for residential internet.

Ebox has been recommended by a lot of people in my area, so was looking at their promotions.

You're right, their start-up costs are expensive --- $140 for the router and $120 for the modem.

I'm wary of going with providers that I haven't heard recommended by local people.

I'm in a small town halfway between Montreal and Trois-Rivières.
Altimatel has come a long way. They are based in Montreal, and so far they have addressed any questions quite quickly, and they have gone above and beyond to convenience some of my colleagues (who wanted to keep their existing modems, but didn't want any downtime during their transitions). They even helped one of them advance their installation date, since their original company rudely cancelled their service 2 weeks prior to his term and agreed date. I have no hesitation recommending them. They do what they can do. Obviously many 3rd parties have their hands tied when they are dealing with the big boys (like Videotron) but they do try.

Ebox a few years ago, was a great company. I don't know if they changed management or what, but they have gone downhill in the last 2 to 3 years. Not competitive. Really rude sometimes on the phone, and completely useless. Having 24/7 support means nothing if it just falls to an answering service which can't do anything till morning anyhow.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1045 posts
268 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
Emporium wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:58 pm
Altimatel has come a long way. They are based in Montreal, and so far they have addressed any questions quite quickly, and they have gone above and beyond to convenience some of my colleagues (who wanted to keep their existing modems, but didn't want any downtime during their transitions). They even helped one of them advance their installation date, since their original company rudely cancelled their service 2 weeks prior to his term and agreed date. I have no hesitation recommending them. They do what they can do. Obviously many 3rd parties have their hands tied when they are dealing with the big boys (like Videotron) but they do try.

Ebox a few years ago, was a great company. I don't know if they changed management or what, but they have gone downhill in the last 2 to 3 years. Not competitive. Really rude sometimes on the phone, and completely useless. Having 24/7 support means nothing if it just falls to an answering service which can't do anything till morning anyhow.
Appreciate the answer!

I've looked at Altimatel, but have seen no mention of someone in my town --- Sorel --- using them. I looked on the facebook "spotted" page.

I'm wary of going with them for that reason!

Any other deals worth noting? I've never really shopped around for this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1045 posts
268 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
xmat128x wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:31 pm
I'm on chat with Virgin --- will go ahead with what they're offering me:

25mbs down - 10mbs up
unlimited
regular price $50/m
minus $10/m
= $40/m

free installation, modem & router
Jan 10, 2012
158 posts
53 upvotes
LONGUEUIL
Emporium wrote:
May 5th, 2019 3:37 pm

Selectcom telecom is $54.95/month for vcable 30, and also has 1 free month. And they include free modem rental, free installation, and unlimited bandwidth also. Not much cheaper, but it is cheaper, and you don't need to pay for a modem (buy or rent).

Sorry but you are comparing older technology modem to newer technology. EBOX is selling Docsis 3.1 TC4400 modem @ 119$ and i don't think anyone has a better deal on that at the moment (many still sell them @ 180$). So yeah you could buy a 60$ (docsis 3.0 8x4) modem that will be useless soon or use recommended technology from EBOX.

EBOX is also a very solid provider with a proven track record. There is a lot of horror stories about smaller players. Yes we are now the biggest in QC and this might get impersonal at times (having almost 400 employees is normal) but there is a very good structure in place to address problems and bringing top of the line technology. EBOX has an R&D department that is coding all the EBOX TV software in house and bring top of the line technology for Video subscribers.

Management has not changed, still the same team working daily and making sure it run smoothly. If there are any problems with a specific account i will remain available to connect the dots with the proper people within the company.

So yeah EBOX is not the cheapest in town but still a very good value. We don't brag about being the cheapest. We work on having the best overall experience at a decent price.

@John47 Virgin is very good if you get FTTH at your address otherwise you will just order DSL and it is usually hit or miss in terms of quality. If you go Cable usually it is better in terms of quality.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1723 posts
1081 upvotes
Montreal, QC
eboxdiskace wrote:
May 7th, 2019 12:06 pm
Sorry but you are comparing older technology modem to newer technology. EBOX is selling Docsis 3.1 TC4400 modem @ 119$ and i don't think anyone has a better deal on that at the moment (many still sell them @ 180$). So yeah you could buy a 60$ (docsis 3.0 8x4) modem that will be useless soon or use recommended technology from EBOX.

EBOX is also a very solid provider with a proven track record. There is a lot of horror stories about smaller players. Yes we are now the biggest in QC and this might get impersonal at times (having almost 400 employees is normal) but there is a very good structure in place to address problems and bringing top of the line technology. EBOX has an R&D department that is coding all the EBOX TV software in house and bring top of the line technology for Video subscribers.

Management has not changed, still the same team working daily and making sure it run smoothly. If there are any problems with a specific account i will remain available to connect the dots with the proper people within the company.

So yeah EBOX is not the cheapest in town but still a very good value. We don't brag about being the cheapest. We work on having the best overall experience at a decent price.

@John47 Virgin is very good if you get FTTH at your address otherwise you will just order DSL and it is usually hit or miss in terms of quality. If you go Cable usually it is better in terms of quality.
Agreed, that most are still selling Docsis 3.0 modems, but that is when the speed does not warrant a more powerful unit. Something like the Hitron CDA-RES is a common docsis 3.0 modem, It delivers speeds of up to 320Mbps (8x4). So unless you are subbed to a 200+ Mbps profile, The average user won't see a huge difference. The Videotron network is not that congested for it to have any significant impact. And by the time many of these subscribers need anything faster, the will be selling Docsis 3.1 Full Duplex[ modems, which will make the TC4400 (which is a great unit), obsolete also (since it is not full duplex).

Ebox did have a great track record in the past, agreed. I work at a company of 3000+ employees here in Montreal, and in the last 2 years, I have had quite a few of my colleagues jump ship, due to the lack of service from ebox. In the beginning I was surprised, since ebox did have a great reputation. But as more and more reported the same lack of customer service, I kind of realized that it was not an exception. I guess expanding sometimes takes a hit on some of the company values, and the service people are used to getting, just vanishes. And if the service is no longer there, then there is very little incentive for people to spend more for the same. This was surely not the intention of ebox (or any company for that matter), but it unfortunately has been the reality from many people I speak to. Losing a customer is a simple task. Getting them back however is not as easy.

I won't change provider to save $5/month, if I am happy with the service I receive from my provider. Just too much of a hassle, to bounce around. However if the service is not there, then I will just go to another reputable provider, and take advantage also of new client promos at the same time (why not). And I rarely just blindly sign up on a web page. I call in and sign up on the phone to get a feel for what to expect.

I don't have any experience with the ebox tv service, and I don't know anyone who has subbed to it, so I can't comment on it. Price does look interesting however.

The reason this thread has gotten nothing but downvotes, is because the price is nothing special. It is the run of the mill price for what I consider a tier 1 3rd party ISP. And this is supposed to be a "hot deals" section, which this is not.

Even Videotron's recent spinoff (fizz.ca) offers vcable 15 for $45/m unlimited, vcable 30 for $50/month unlimited, and $60/month for vcable 60. And includes installation, modem/wifi router and shipping fees.
Jan 10, 2012
158 posts
53 upvotes
LONGUEUIL
Your point about modem is still not good. While docsis 3.0 8x4 still do 200+ in labs the reality on the field is limited to 30 Mbits on Rogers and 60 Mbits on Videotron (soon to be depleted and max speed will be 30). So theory and reality are two different things. To me, this is not something clients are aware and EBOX is taking the position to sell good hardware to it's client at first and at great cost (it would be much much easier to stick with 3.0 as price is like 3x lower). So yes in that context i think it is worth discussing and worth highlighting the old adage you get what you pay for. EBOX invest serious money in it's network, business process, choice of vendor etc... . Yes there are issues with front line staff from time to time, it's normal the best employees have moved up the latter and are now in other position but i feel we are much more mature and offer something much more solid than 5 or 10 years ago as a whole.
Apr 2, 2009
853 posts
138 upvotes
Markham
Once you're used to gigabit internet, 15Mbps sounds like dial up speeds.
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Jun 21, 2012
184 posts
65 upvotes
Montreal
John47 wrote:
May 5th, 2019 5:02 pm
I'm on chat with Virgin --- will go ahead with what they're offering me:

25mbs down - 10mbs up
unlimited
regular price $50/m
minus $10/m
= $40/m
For how long?

The nice thing so far with EBOX for me is that in 4-5 years I have been with them I did not have to call to argue about a price increase. It's been the same price since the beginning (and even went down when I got a friend to join).

And I cannot discuss about service since I may have called them only twice in 4-5 years. So I guess this is good.
Apr 8, 2015
716 posts
717 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Calling this post a shill. Second post from OP, first about some coffee stuff.
Then this which sounds like self promotion.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2019
33 posts
33 upvotes
Not a shill, just a regular ebox customer for the past 4 years.
Never had issues with the internet, and I called them once just to increase my speed.

Reading stories from others on how they are left on their own for weeks to figure out issues doesn't sound like good of a deal.