Expired Hot Deals

[Ebox] EBOX FTTN 50/10 Unlimited data free installation $29.95/month for 12mo (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2019 2:14 am
Dec 4, 2013
218 posts
139 upvotes
Longueuil
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:10 pm
Anyone find a deal on a modem?

Anyone have an issues using ebox and freephoneline?
I did use FreePhoneLine a while back and did not had issue except the voice quality was some time bad but not related to Ebox as my father was also using FreePhoneLine but on Videotron and had the same issues. Now I am with voip.ms since 2 years and never had an issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4005 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:10 pm
Anyone find a deal on a modem?
Check Kijiji, you can find the SmartRG for pretty good prices on their from people who switched out of DSL to cable.
Dec 4, 2013
218 posts
139 upvotes
Longueuil
vcadieux wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:26 pm
I did use FreePhoneLine a while back and did not had issue except the voice quality was some time bad but not related to Ebox as my father was also using FreePhoneLine but on Videotron and had the same issues. Now I am with voip.ms since 2 years and never had an issue.
Still some times to add you to a group if you haven't registered yet if you are interested.
Nov 1, 2017
441 posts
146 upvotes
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 4:15 pm
Check Kijiji, you can find the SmartRG for pretty good prices on their from people who switched out of DSL to cable.
https://www.ebox.ca/en/compatible-modems/

I'm a little unsure what fftn falls under.
Is it cable c?

Just looking for a plain modem. I have my own router that I plan to use.

I also can't find anything about fees regard BYOD. I know some isps charge additional
Aug 31, 2014
378 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 4:33 pm

Is it cable c?

I also can't find anything about fees regard BYOD. I know some isps charge additional
If you're in Ontario and signing up for DSL you want *EDIT: AM DUMB*. A decent (and widely available on Kijiji) modem is the Smart RG SR505N which most people use with Teksavvy.

BYOD is $20, can confirm that I was charged this on sign up.
Last edited by Growingupisold on Jan 18th, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4005 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 4:33 pm

Is it cable c?

What you need is a VDSL/VDSL2-compatible modem, the most common ones would be:
SmartRG sr505n
SmartRG sr515ac
SmartRG sr516ac

You can refer to Teksavvy's list here which also includes instructions for configuring each model: https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... tup-Guides
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4005 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Growingupisold wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 4:48 pm
If you're in Ontario and signing up for DSL you want R-Cable. A decent (and widely available on Kijiji) modem is the Smart RG SR505N which most people use with Teksavvy.

BYOD is $20, can confirm that I was charged this on sign up.
This is incorrect. That Ebox page only includes Cable modems. "R-Cable" just means Rogers Cable.

The FTTN service here is a VDSL service, you need a VDSL/VDSL2-compatible modem for this. Different technology.

The sr505n is a good one though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
vcadieux wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:26 pm
question-about-telephone-service-option ... #p25468891
PianoGuy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2016 10:56 am
FreePhoneLine and VoIP.ms provide very similar services. The pricing structure is different, and VoIP.ms has more complex inbound call routing options, but the actual VoIP is the same. VoIP.ms even uses Fibernetics (FreePhoneLine's parent company) as one of their carriers, so some of the service is literally identical.
What Freephoneline lacks is a server in Quebec. VoIP.ms has at least eight in Montreal.

All other things being equal, G.711u=G.711u=G7.11u=POTS (plain old telephone service). There's absolutely no way I'd be using FPL if it sounded worse than my old Bell landline, and I use a lot of different VoIP services including Callcentric, VoIP.ms, and Anveo Direct. I have no problems (normally . . . I did have to get VoIP.ms change carrier routing to a couple of locations) with any of them (my ISP is not Ebox). But there are tons of people who don't realize their ISP may be at fault and aren't running QoS on their routers for their ATAs and IP Phones. Or they’re located far away from FPL’s servers in southern Ontario and/or their ISP uses a horrible route to reach them.

People should be testing pings and jitter to the servers being used: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p28508653.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Nov 1, 2017
441 posts
146 upvotes
Do modems have to be "unlocked" to use with ebox?

I've noticed a few sellers mention this in their listing.
Jan 14, 2007
55 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Growingupisold wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:55 pm
Strange, when I signed up they only charged the $20 outside DSL modem fee.

The $9.95/m Dryloop fee looks to be waived too, anybody know if that is only for 12 months or is that permanent?
I called them again for this $20 dryloop fee, and they returned it.
There is $22.60 credits on my account. :)
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
2 upvotes
My teksavvy promo up soon so this could be an option but on their site they have it as adsl I thought vdsl is better unless it some sort of typo on their site. If it is vdsl how is Ebox internet speed and stability?
Aug 5, 2011
44 posts
22 upvotes
HAMILTON
I've had ebox r-cable for over 3yrs.

Very very happy with price, product and service.

I'm moving and ebox can't match my current deal when I move (75/10 for 44$ all included)

Is FTTN an inferior product, stability wise?

TIA
Dec 24, 2010
234 posts
162 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
Hi

I installed Obi200/FPL for 2 years now at my house and at my 2 sisters houses with no problem at all. However, just recently about 2-3 days now, my wifi connection on all my devices keeps dropping. When I attempt to reconnect, it says it cannot reconnect (Ipad, Android, iphone, laptops and Roku using wiki).I can reconnect if I reboot the router. The Obi200 phoneline still work fine.
It also just happen at my 2 sisters houses same problem. Sice my house and my sisters' use different routers, internet service providers, I am thinking the only common thread between us is the Obi200 set up. Could it be that we havent updated firmware at all and we are all out of warranty that this problem happen? The only way is to reboot the router but we just can't reboot it 5-10 times a day.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Nov 1, 2017
441 posts
146 upvotes
BestFind wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 2:32 pm
Hi

I installed Obi200/FPL for 2 years now at my house and at my 2 sisters houses with no problem at all. However, just recently about 2-3 days now, my wifi connection on all my devices keeps dropping. When I attempt to reconnect, it says it cannot reconnect (Ipad, Android, iphone, laptops and Roku using wiki).I can reconnect if I reboot the router. The Obi200 phoneline still work fine.
It also just happen at my 2 sisters houses same problem. Sice my house and my sisters' use different routers, internet service providers, I am thinking the only common thread between us is the Obi200 set up. Could it be that we havent updated firmware at all and we are all out of warranty that this problem happen? The only way is to reboot the router but we just can't reboot it 5-10 times a day.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
I don't think I understand...

Your WiFi connections are dropping and you think the obi200 is the cause?

Is the obi200 wired?

(p.s)*What does this question have to do with ebox?