31 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
vmedia is cheaper plus they have tv
Jan 22, 2018
26 posts
30 upvotes
I switched to them from teksavvy recently
They're sooo much better (costumer service wise)
Ts gave us so much crap switching to them that they're literally like the new bhell
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1757 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal, QC
They all used to be better.. However, I've heard a lot of complaints by many with ebox and TS in the last 3 or 4 years. If you never need their service, then no issues.. That being said, usually most people will post their views when they are dissatisfied (rarely when they are happy).. So obviously everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

A year an a half ago, i switched providers, and decided to go with Altimatel Telecom. Very Polite. Great service. And a lot cheaper prices than most of the competition, especially if you need "unlimited" service.
No charge installation, and you get a free modem rental (deposit needed only). Same as others, they resell videotron cable (or B[H]ell fttn if you prefer).

Since they offered a free modem, I took the free modem, so that way I did not have to wait for my previous provider to release my modem, and then waiting for videotron dragging their feet to re-provision to new provider. The modem arrived, it was to be activated the same day my previous provider's cancelation date. Woke up in that morning, my internet was down, I swapped modems, and everything was back up in minutes. It was painless. I then sold my old modem on Kijiji. Figured since they offered a free modem, there is no point in holding onto a modem which would be obsolete by the time I needed it again.

Another advantage for those of us in Montreal, is that they are local (1179 Decarie Street). And I noticed they recently opened up a new building on Cote-Vertu (just down the street from the metro). not sure if it is an office building, or possibly future data center or warehouse. Buddy of mine had the power supply on his modem fail, and he just walked into their office, and they just gave him another on the spot.

https://altimatel.com/order/public/inte ... ince/qc/en

Speeds have always been slightly above what I pay for, and very solid. I pay for the 60/10 service, and below is a speedtest I just ran a few minutes ago.

My home phone is VoIP, TV is IPTV, and with 2 gamer teens, I needed to have something with decent speed, no limits, and stable. In the last 17 months I've been with them, they've been pretty solid.

And if you get someone's reference code (feel free to PM if you please - I will not post public since it is not permitted on RFD) , they will give you and the person, a one time $10 rebate.

Oh ya, and if you prepay for a year (like I do) they also give you 12 months, for the price of 11. So you save a month, which ends up averaging even less :)

*The $49.95/month price you see for the 60/10 service is for the first 3 months.. it is $59.95 after that... That is a videotron promo, which they pass along, but you see the note only the on the product page.
Dec 28, 2012
273 posts
160 upvotes
Quebec
I've been with them for the last 2 years and I can say that the customer service is great, I asked them a lot of question on their facebook page and always get a fast answer and one time someone higher up was needed and they call me back the same morning.

Speed has been consistant and change of plan is easy.

Really eager to see what they will offer for IPTV. Don't forget to sign up using a group to save 2$/month. Also after you sign up if you give your referal code to someone you know you will get another 1$/month for life.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2219 posts
974 upvotes
gatewaysucks wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:28 pm
their customer service is meh, and they missed my hook up time by a week. was without internet for a entire week because of it. now that i'm hooked up, no real complaints about the service. speed is never as advertised, but i noticed ebox is overall slower than my previous ISP, but not enough to pay double. once in a while there is a slow down for a little bit. for the price, it's very good. only thing i didn't like was them dragging their feet for a week while getting me switched.
You are aware that They are not the ones doing the hook ups? They simply send the requests to Videotron or Bell. Don’t blame them for something out of their control !
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Jan 10, 2006
305 posts
94 upvotes
I've been with Ebox for 5+ years. DSL initially and now cable for several years. Internet service has been fine. Their technical customer service was great. Their general customer service hours are long and they're on DSLReports which is great.

But their billing department is really annoying. I've had to remind them several times to make changes. Currently I'm very frustrated about being billed for a feature (super off peak) which I asked them to remove. The bill showed a charge for the following month (February) which they said the billing department could not change until the month began, and when February came, not only did they not refund it the charge, but they billed it again for March. For a feature (super off peak) which was deactivated. I emailed a couple of times and the customer service supervisor I was dealing with hasn't replied since a week now. Not impressed at all.

Also, when cancelling service (when we cancelled DSL, and also when a friend cancelled), the billing department still sent bills for months when the service was deactivated. When contacting customer service they simply say to ignore it and that it was automatically generated. But the bills and reminders continue to be sent for 1-2 months.

For pricing, they used to be great, just slightly more expensive than the cheapest prices which kept bottom feeders away. But they haven't kept up with competitors' pricing in the mid-tier plans. For 120/200 Mbps their prices are still competitive, but around 15Mbps is not attractive anymore. I don't know if they just don't care or if it's a strategy to upsell. More than a year ago there were posts on DSLReports when others lowered their pricing. Ebox promised to do the same but never followed through.

It seems they've shifted focus to IPTV and datacenters. I don't care about that, so as a mid-tier internet customer I feel neglected, and the billing frustrations have really angered me. After all, billing issues were why we switched from Bell in the first place. I'm actively looking to switch now. That's the great thing about no contracts.

But for prospective clients, there's nothing wrong with Ebox's internet service and tech.

TL;DR: Pros: internet service, top-tier plan pricing. Cons: billing department, mid-tier plan pricing.
Mar 15, 2013
217 posts
169 upvotes
had a decent time with them until one of the CSRs asked me for my security code on my VISA as a "confirmation", I gave it to him and he ended up sending an Oculus Rift to his address. EBOX terminated him, but I left immediately after this incident.
With deals come great responsibility to post on RFD.

I live for upvotes 😝
Mar 10, 2008
448 posts
145 upvotes
Quebec City
No offense ebox is great but this should be moved to a discussion forum, there is no hot deal here.
Nov 22, 2009
88 posts
63 upvotes
London
emilio911 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:41 pm
You can say so for cable Internet, but not so much for ADSL. Buying directly from Bell will usually get you faster speeds because of how that technology works.

I'm guessing your Internet is landline and not cable?
it's cable.
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Emporium wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:39 pm
They all used to be better.. However, I've heard a lot of complaints by many with ebox and TS in the last 3 or 4 years. If you never need their service, then no issues.. That being said, usually most people will post their views when they are dissatisfied (rarely when they are happy).. So obviously everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

A year an a half ago, i switched providers, and decided to go with Altimatel Telecom. Very Polite. Great service. And a lot cheaper prices than most of the competition, especially if you need "unlimited" service.
No charge installation, and you get a free modem rental (deposit needed only). Same as others, they resell videotron cable (or B[H]ell fttn if you prefer).

Since they offered a free modem, I took the free modem, so that way I did not have to wait for my previous provider to release my modem, and then waiting for videotron dragging their feet to re-provision to new provider. The modem arrived, it was to be activated the same day my previous provider's cancelation date. Woke up in that morning, my internet was down, I swapped modems, and everything was back up in minutes. It was painless. I then sold my old modem on Kijiji. Figured since they offered a free modem, there is no point in holding onto a modem which would be obsolete by the time I needed it again.

Another advantage for those of us in Montreal, is that they are local (1179 Decarie Street). And I noticed they recently opened up a new building on Cote-Vertu (just down the street from the metro). not sure if it is an office building, or possibly future data center or warehouse. Buddy of mine had the power supply on his modem fail, and he just walked into their office, and they just gave him another on the spot.

https://altimatel.com/order/public/inte ... ince/qc/en

Speeds have always been slightly above what I pay for, and very solid. I pay for the 60/10 service, and below is a speedtest I just ran a few minutes ago.

My home phone is VoIP, TV is IPTV, and with 2 gamer teens, I needed to have something with decent speed, no limits, and stable. In the last 17 months I've been with them, they've been pretty solid.

And if you get someone's reference code (feel free to PM if you please - I will not post public since it is not permitted on RFD) , they will give you and the person, a one time $10 rebate.

Oh ya, and if you prepay for a year (like I do) they also give you 12 months, for the price of 11. So you save a month, which ends up averaging even less :)

*The $49.95/month price you see for the 60/10 service is for the first 3 months.. it is $59.95 after that... That is a videotron promo, which they pass along, but you see the note only the on the product page.
interesting ... videotron raises prices in march
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1060 posts
624 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
Im with them since 8 years and i have 10 referrals each month, so 10$ off each month! And the beauty is i dont refer for the money, im just sad to see my friends paying so much for the internet just because they dont want to buy the modem....