• Mar 30th, 2018 12:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1024 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto

Eco-fees (EHF) on boxed CPUs at Staples

I'm in Ontario. I was surprised when shopping at Staples because no other retailer I've used charges eco-fees on processors. I know the fee is supposed to apply to complete systems, but what about products like this?
https://www.staples.ca/en/Intel-Core-i7 ... CA_1_20001

If I add this to the cart I see that Staples adds on a $1.40 eco fee to the order.

According to this the fee is for "Desktop/countertop computers".

Did Staples goof here?
6 replies
Sep 12, 2017
116 posts
20 upvotes
LaSalle, Ontario
Are you really complaining about $1.40 on a ~ $500 i7 CPU?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
thewhopper wrote: Are you really complaining about $1.40 on a ~ $500 i7 CPU?
what does it matter if its 1 cent or $100. if staples is pocketing money for something that shouldn't be charged. if 500 people pay them $1.40 ea that adds up.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aaron158 wrote: what does it matter if its 1 cent or $100. if staples is pocketing money for something that shouldn't be charged. if 500 people pay them $1.40 ea that adds up.
Based on the assumption that they are pocketing the $1.40. Staples could be remitting it properly - but the other party may not know the specific items sold by Staples.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1024 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry guys, I totally forgot about this thread! I submitted a message about this to Staples. The first response was just a generic "this is a government fee". Didn't seem like they even read my question properly. I pressed the matter with another email (I got a little testy in that one) and got a response back from Staples shortly after...
Good afternoon [Mercury048],

Let me start by thanking you for bringing this issue to our attention. You are perfectly right, no Eco Fees should be charged to Boxed processors.
The change and correction on our system has been done and will be effective Feb 10th .
We apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience. It is with remarks and suggestions like yours that we can always upgrade and improve our service.
Thank you again!
Have a pleasant weekend.

Rania Shehata
Customer Service Help Desk
I'm actually impressed. They attached a whole internal email chain about this needing to be fixed right away. So, I was right, and Staples is no longer charging the eco fee on processors.

You're welcome, everyone. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
Mercury048 wrote: Sorry guys, I totally forgot about this thread! I submitted a message about this to Staples. The first response was just a generic "this is a government fee". Didn't seem like they even read my question properly. I pressed the matter with another email (I got a little testy in that one) and got a response back from Staples shortly after...

I'm actually impressed. They attached a whole internal email chain about this needing to be fixed right away. So, I was right, and Staples is no longer charging the eco fee on processors.

You're welcome, everyone. ;)
Thanks for sharing and posting the email.

Out of curiosity, did they remember to refund you what you paid on the eco fee too? :razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1024 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
They couldn't "remember" because I didn't mention a specific order at first. They did refund it later when I gave the order number and asked.