• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 5:03 am
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA

ecobee 4 thermostat vs nest

want to upgrade the thermostat at home to have a few additional sensors, I asked a few friends who has nest and ecobee, only difference I understand is that ecobee can set the temperature by average temp. of the sensors where as nest can only set based on one individual sensor, no average!

any other difference? or suggestion?!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
You can wire Nest without C-Wire. But always use the C-wire even you have option to use the built-in rechargeable battery if you don't want frozen pipes while you are on vacation.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Ecoobee 4 has alexa built in.

Check out the hot deals section as costo.ca has the ecobee3 lite and 2 sensors for $199.99, just verify the ecobee3 lite will work with your HVAC as if you have a HVAC with lots of extras you may need the 4.
Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
Nest has a cool feature with their protect co detector. If the detector finds carbon monoxide it tells the thermostat to turn the furnace off. AFAIK nest is the only one that does this.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
EcoBee sensors also can be set up to follow the motion in the home rooms and adjust thermostat so that those rooms are at the set temperature.

I also use the motion from the sensors to monitor the home when away as well via smartthings.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote: EcoBee sensors also can be set up to follow the motion in the home rooms and adjust thermostat so that those rooms are at the set temperature.

I also use the motion from the sensors to monitor the home when away as well via smartthings.
Ecobee room sensor is very good in controlling the temperature where you are. I configure my Ecobee to monitor the bedroom sensor only at night as I do not care about the temperature in the basement and the main floor.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
embguy wrote: Ecobee room sensor is very good in controlling the temperature where you are. I configure my Ecobee to monitor the bedroom sensor only at night as I do not care about the temperature in the basement and the main floor.
I did the same, have it set on the bedroom, and it's working like charm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
embguy wrote: Ecobee room sensor is very good in controlling the temperature where you are. I configure my Ecobee to monitor the bedroom sensor only at night as I do not care about the temperature in the basement and the main floor.
Sorry to be the guy to rain on a parade.

you realize unless you have multiple actual sections of house where heating is controlled by Dampers or air handlers youre heating the entire house even tho you need just heat in one room. a baseboard heater or a portable heater would be more economical just to heat a single room.

If you actualy have zones, it doesnt matter which thermostat you have since they will all control zones.
----
Pay it forward.