• Oct 5th, 2019 2:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17260 posts
15043 upvotes
GTA, ON

Ecobee advanced threshold settings?

So I got the GreenON Ecobee3 lite thermostat and I'm looking at the advanced settings and confused about something. Under the advanced setting threshold is settings for HEAT and COOL dissipation. I know this means the amount of time the fan continues to run after the equipment (furnace/AC) has turned off. It can be set to AUTO or choose between 30 seconds up to 15minutes. It's currently set at auto for both. How does the system know how long to run the fan for efficiency? Should I instead manually set the dissipation time?

The compressor is defaulted to run at 5min minimum.
I also keep the fan setting on Auto instead of running in the ON position all the time.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38177 posts
24359 upvotes
Center of Universe
Likely a set time also, but on the higher side.

"If you notice your fan may be running longer than you’d like once a call for heat is finished, you can adjust this value."
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25480 posts
15308 upvotes
Toronto
On auto, the run down time is determined by the furnace controls. This thermostat gives you the option to override the furnace controls by selecting a run down time instead of the default value programmed into the furnace controls. I have mine set on auto for both heat and cool. Similarly, in the equipment configuration - fan, you can select thermostat or HVAC where HVAC means the furnace will control how the fan operates when there is a demand for heat or cool. In my case, I select HVAC because the heat function is multi stage and there is a outlet air temperature reading which modulates fan speed to match a preset outlet temperature. If I let the thermostat control the fan, I would lose this control.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Aug 14, 2011
413 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
I set mine to 30 seconds for heat and cool. It's a smart thermostat, but not always the smartest. I am not sure Auto settings aside from switching from heat to A/c automatically is what I would choose.

Hope that helps,
Feb 27, 2005
883 posts
73 upvotes
I just switched my ecobee 3 lite to heat this weekend and can no longer find the heat dissipation timer settings under the advanced settings/threshold? Did they love this setting or remove it on a firmware update. I can longer find it in the settings?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
bonzo wrote: I just switched my ecobee 3 lite to heat this weekend and can no longer find the heat dissipation timer settings under the advanced settings/threshold? Did they love this setting or remove it on a firmware update. I can longer find it in the settings?
Its still available on my ecobee. It's only available on the device itself and not through the app