[Ecobee] Ecobee - Free SmartSensors for doors and windows 2-pack YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 8:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6215 posts
5394 upvotes
Calgary
PriceHunter wrote: Are you guys signing up without a plan to use these sensors later on ?

Can they operate without a subscription ? If not, why even bother get them, even free?
Rfd people will take anything for free. They may have some HomeKit functionality. I’m going to subscribe when I am away from home on vacations.
Jul 4, 2006
999 posts
323 upvotes
Oakville
I have 3 lite and using ios app.

I have no idea about signing up to what ?

Please provide a bit more details.

Thanks.
Oct 15, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
I have the 4th gen thermostat. I did not get a targeted email. The app did not give me an offer, and nothing in the web account.
I signed up for the trial just on the website about an hour ago, but still didn't get an email with a coupon code so I called them up.
The rep said that it usually takes 30 to 40 minutes for them to send out an email with the offer but they only do this during working hours. Their office opens up at 9 am EST and they usually have a big influx of new subscribers from the night before so it may take a little while longer.
He said to give it a few hours and if I still don't get a code just to call them again and they'll sort it out.
Oct 15, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Lobloco wrote: I have 3 lite and using ios app.

I have no idea about signing up to what ?

Please provide a bit more details.

Thanks.

Update: In this comment I made an incorrect assumption that these sensors would work with a Z-wave hub. A thank you goes out to user eigenvalue for pointing out this mistake.

I'm hoping to tie them to my Home Assistant once the trial period is over. If the Ecobee is able to see and listen to the sensors locally with no Haven subscription (which it looks like that is the case, based on FAQ on their site) then I should easily be able to use them as generic door sensors.
If Ecobee stops talking to the door sensors once the trial is over, these sensors should be able to work with any hub that supports z-wave. (Samsung Smartthings) [edit: this is incorrect]
https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... -Questions
The FAQ page for the sensor does not mention z-wave but they do say that it works on 915 MHz, which is the frequency for z-wave. [edit: this is incorrect]
Last edited by maximumsavings on Sep 3rd, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 15, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote: Are you guys signing up without a plan to use these sensors later on ?

Can they operate without a subscription ? If not, why even bother get them, even free?
The Sensors should work locally without a subscription. You just dont get notifications for them it seems.

If you tie them into Home Assistant, you should be able to use them as generic door sensors.
Sep 26, 2019
102 posts
134 upvotes
Montreal, QC
maximumsavings wrote: The FAQ page for the sensor does not mention z-wave but they do say that it works on 915 MHz, which is the frequency for z-wave.
915 MHz is within the ISM band (industrial, scientific, medical) and represents a broad array of devices.

From the Canadian Table of Frequencies:
--------------------
5.150 The following bands:
13 553-13 567 kHz (centre frequency 13 560 kHz),
26 957-27 283 kHz (centre frequency 27 120 kHz),
40.66-40.70 MHz (centre frequency 40.68 MHz),
902-928 MHz in Region 2 (centre frequency 915 MHz),
2 400-2 500 MHz (centre frequency 2 450 MHz),
5 725-5 875 MHz (centre frequency 5 800 MHz), and
24-24.25 GHz (centre frequency 24.125 GHz)

are also designated for industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) applications. Radiocommunication services operating within these bands must accept harmful interference which may be caused by these applications. ISM equipment operating in these bands is subject to the provisions of No. 15.13.
--------------------

You have made an assumption that it must be z-wave because the frequency is the same. I will make an assumption that it is not z-wave because:
  • To employ z-wave in a device, the manufacturer must acquire a license and certify the device. That gives them the right to prominently market the fact the device supports z-wave. ecobee has not indicated the device supports z-wave only that it uses "915 MHz RF"​. In addition, ecobee is not listed as a member of the z-wave aliiance.
I believe the sensors communicate directly with the thermostat (it's listed as a requirement) using a proprietary ecobee protocol at 915 MHz. In turn, the thermostat supports Wi-Fi and exposes the sensors as HomeKit-compatible devices.

Theoretically, any home automation system that supports HomeKit devices should be able to communicate with the sensors, provided you have an ecobee thermostat to act as the 'middleman'.
Oct 15, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
eigenvalue wrote: 915 MHz is within the ISM band (industrial, scientific, medical) and represents a broad array of devices.

--------------------

are also designated for industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) applications. Radiocommunication services operating within these bands must accept harmful interference which may be caused by these applications. ISM equipment operating in these bands is subject to the provisions of No. 15.13.
--------------------

You have made an assumption that it must be z-wave because the frequency is the same. I will make an assumption that it is not z-wave because:
  • To employ z-wave in a device, the manufacturer must acquire a license and certify the device. That gives them the right to prominently market the fact the device supports z-wave. ecobee has not indicated the device supports z-wave only that it uses "915 MHz RF"​. In addition, ecobee is not listed as a member of the z-wave aliiance.
I believe the sensors communicate directly with the thermostat (it's listed as a requirement) using a proprietary ecobee protocol at 915 MHz. In turn, the thermostat supports Wi-Fi and exposes the sensors as HomeKit-compatible devices.

Theoretically, any home automation system that supports HomeKit devices should be able to communicate with the sensors, provided you have an ecobee thermostat to act as the 'middleman'.
You are absolutely correct. I made an assumption based on nothing basically.
Mar 5, 2016
646 posts
401 upvotes
m4gician wrote: I clicked the offer but NO coupon. I have to call them.
It said you will get it within 24 hours I think.
Jan 13, 2002
428 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
eigenvalue wrote:
915 MHz is within the ISM band (industrial, scientific, medical) and represents a broad array of devices.

--------------------

--------------------

So does that imply that it would work with SmartThings hub?
Sep 26, 2019
102 posts
134 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fredder wrote: So does that imply that it would work with SmartThings hub?
I'm not very familiar with SmartThings Hub but it's my understanding that it has no native support for Apple's HomeKit protocol. The common workaround is to employ an additional service called HomeBridge which acts as a translator between HomeKit and SmartThings. Again, I only have a superficial knowledge of SmartThings so I recommend you check their community forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2355 posts
1198 upvotes
Mississauga
fredder wrote: So does that imply that it would work with SmartThings hub?
Will likely take a lot of workarounds and tweaks to make it work with Smartthings. At 10$ a piece, Xiaomi Zigbee sensors are a much better solution. Or even the Orvibo sensors from Primecables. These pair directly with Smartthings.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10728 posts
2925 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Signed up on the website yesterday, still haven’t received an email. Called them today and they said the promo is only for android users, which is strange.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Feb 7, 2015
220 posts
149 upvotes
maximumsavings wrote: The Sensors should work locally without a subscription. You just dont get notifications for them it seems.

If you tie them into Home Assistant, you should be able to use them as generic door sensors.
Is there a siren that will alarm or its just a sensor thingy? Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34005 posts
19867 upvotes
Ottawa
narut0 wrote: Is there a siren that will alarm or its just a sensor thingy? Thanks
That's just a contact sensor.