None
[OP]
Feb 17, 2013
238 posts
91 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

Economic Inducment by Fido

Hello everyone,

I signed up with Fido last March on a 2 year smart plan. I got my phone for zero dollars and my contract document states economic inducement amount of 150 dollars. This Friday, I received a letter from fido stating that my contract had wrong amount of economic inducement and is now increased to 450 dollars.
Can they increase economic inducement after 10 months? And states that going forward my contract is amended to 450 dollars.
Btw, I got Samsung S4 for zero back in March and Fido was charging 300 dollars on any smart plan but I got it from Bestbuy Mobile for zero.
What are my options now that I am planning to switch to Rogers share everything plan??
12 replies
Nov 23, 2006
300 posts
21 upvotes
I guess BB is at fault here .. besides the new CRTC rule states that you just pay for the difference $ of the device and not contract
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2830 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Pay-off the $450 ?
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4345 posts
562 upvotes
Messed Up Area
robbyp17 wrote: Hello everyone,

I signed up with Fido last March on a 2 year smart plan. I got my phone for zero dollars and my contract document states economic inducement amount of 150 dollars. This Friday, I received a letter from fido stating that my contract had wrong amount of economic inducement and is now increased to 450 dollars.
Can they increase economic inducement after 10 months? And states that going forward my contract is amended to 450 dollars.
Btw, I got Samsung S4 for zero back in March and Fido was charging 300 dollars on any smart plan but I got it from Bestbuy Mobile for zero.
What are my options now that I am planning to switch to Rogers share everything plan??

You signed contractual agreement at $0 and $150 inducement.

They cannot change your contractual agreement with out your approval afterwords. Even if they mistake they or best buy corperate needs to eat it, its after the 15-20 days grace when you signed up so nothing can change from obliged contract.

Call in and RANT and get to managers and supervisors till fixed or contact CRTC as this is an illegal change of your cellphone contract.

Pay off what you owe on initial contract for phone and you can switch to Rogers...but contact managers/supervisors 1st then if nothing crtc, then you can port out and have justice on your side. Do not port out prior to fixed or recordings of there crew up.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2785 posts
869 upvotes
West
I would say "I'm looking at my contract, it states that my economic inducement is $150, that is what I signed". Don't let them bump it up to $450, take it as far as you need to go.

I think there is some rule where they can make changes to your agreement if they give you 30 days notice, but within those $30 days you can choose not to accept the changes and cancel your agreement, so make sure you take care of anything within that time period. In fact, you should pay out the remaining $87.50 and switch to a cheaper provider (depending how decent your plan is now).

CRTC / CCTS is your friend...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3076 posts
2125 upvotes
Canadia
A signed contract cannot be unilaterally changed by one of the parties after the fact. Contact Fido in writing and state clearly that you do not grant them permission to change the economic inducement amount on your contract or make other unilateral modifications for the duration of the agreement. Then call them to restate that fact. This would normally be completely unnecessarily, but Fido might attempt to argue that you didn't challenge the modification within 30 days and therefore "accept."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
Man you should sign up for another contract and contact them after 10 months to say you're changing it from $450 to $150 to see how they like them apples (or in this case Androids).
[OP]
Feb 17, 2013
238 posts
91 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
thank you guys, i planning to CCTS route as Fido is not giving me answers.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
If Rogers/Fido can change the Econ Inducement after the fact, then I would owe them probably a couple of thousand bucks. :cheesygri :cry:
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10858 posts
3064 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
death_hawk wrote: Man you should sign up for another contract and contact them after 10 months to say you're changing it from $450 to $150 to see how they like them apples (or in this case Androids).
That would be just as valid as what they seem to be trying to pull here.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ceredon wrote: That would be just as valid as what they seem to be trying to pull here.
I think that's just exactly death_hawk's point...neither has any legal ground to stand on. :lol:
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10858 posts
3064 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Rogido wrote: I think that's just exactly death_hawk's point...neither has any legal ground to stand on. :lol:
Yup
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada