• May 27th, 2021 8:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Edge/Grass Trimmer Hybrid/Electric (Non gas) Recommendation

For the layout of the lot I was so happy to buy a Ryobi hybrid trimmer in 2016. I used mostly in AC corded mode (got the power and no worry for battery runout) and used with battery only for remote/difficult corners. That thing broke after 3 yrs. But Ryobi apparently does not sell that hybrid in Canada anymore (but does in USA). Dont know why. Now I am looking for another trimmer. If hybrid, will be best but I am pretty sure there's none. Next is eclectic one (wont go for gas, heavy/maintenance etc are issues); battery (another no, need some power). I am 5feet10 inches and 74 kg. please advise any electric trimmer that is not heavy and does minimal shoulder jerk. I once bought a stihl but could not sell it in kijiji fast enough (that beast rattled my shoulder joint completely after a couple of use). My lot is in GTA, 120x60 with some landscaping. thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2510 posts
3356 upvotes
West GTA
Why do you need more power than a 40 or 56v system would give you? I mean, it's got plenty for that need. I'd buy a Ryobi again if you're already invested in the 40v battery system and just use that. If you're willing to switch battery systems and want something better, get the Ego trimmer. That way you have enough power for trimming and edging without needing a cord.

If you do use corded trimmer and are okay not using battery, there are a ton of options and they're all dirt cheap.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
I never found the edger part of the trimmer/edger to be that great. The trimmer was fantastic. The new Ryobi trimmer has MORE power than the old 26cc gas engines, especially where it counts at the low end. You can also buy an edger attachment for the latest Ryobi trimmer as it uses the click-link split shaft they have had since I worked there in 2000.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have 18v battery setup for drill, not 40. Also I prefer uninterrupted/sufficient power supply which battery could betray, leaving me half done with work. But thanks for your insight.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6413 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham
spiderman6 wrote: For the layout of the lot I was so happy to buy a Ryobi hybrid trimmer in 2016. I used mostly in AC corded mode (got the power and no worry for battery runout) and used with battery only for remote/difficult corners. That thing broke after 3 yrs. But Ryobi apparently does not sell that hybrid in Canada anymore (but does in USA). Dont know why. Now I am looking for another trimmer. If hybrid, will be best but I am pretty sure there's none. Next is eclectic one (wont go for gas, heavy/maintenance etc are issues); battery (another no, need some power). I am 5feet10 inches and 74 kg. please advise any electric trimmer that is not heavy and does minimal shoulder jerk. I once bought a stihl but could not sell it in kijiji fast enough (that beast rattled my shoulder joint completely after a couple of use). My lot is in GTA, 120x60 with some landscaping. thanks in advance.
Years ago ... had a B&D that I won as a prize from work ... used it until its last legs then sold it on Kijiji.

Then bought the Toro 14-inch 5 Amp Electric Corded String Trimmer and Edger (Model 51480) from Home Depot in 2014 for $55.99.

Used it until last year and replaced it with the newer model (51480A) for $74.99. Ended up selling the old one (used 6 years) for $60 on Kijiji.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2