Food & Drink

Is this edible? LOL (unopened year old pepperoni sticks)

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2021 2:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal

Is this edible? LOL (unopened year old pepperoni sticks)

Never thought I'd be asking this laughable question cuz I see this topic every now and then on this forum and think 'how could OP not know??'....but here we are haha.

Anyway, I bought it way before the pandemic, so at least before March 2020. It doesn't have a stated expiry date (weird) and I have put it in the fridge for the longest time and it remains unopened. I don't notice any mold or anything weird through the window. What do you guys think?
pep sticks.png
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 29th, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29593 posts
15391 upvotes
Toronto
Is it made of real meat ? If not, you should be fine. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10200 posts
4316 upvotes
I would eat them for sure. They are cured, so little chance of spoiling in a year's time.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
booblehead wrote: Is it made of real meat ? If not, you should be fine. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Dude, stick to advising on luxury vehicles only...what kinda advice is that? LOL. (Yes, pork is the 1st ingredient.)

Gutty96 wrote: I would eat them for sure. They are cured, so little chance of spoiling in a year's time.
Tx, it is definitely more than 1 yr though. It looks ok, but wanted to get more opinions lest I self-food poison haha.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Mar 28, 2011
951 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto
Where can I find the expiry or Best Before date?
The Best Before date is printed on each of our products in either black or green ink. It reads YY-MM-DD. If the product is past this date, you will not get sick, but the quality will be worse than if it was fresh.

https://greatcanadianmeat.com/gcmc-faq/

You should be good, take a bite but don’t swallow and see if it taste really off
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
BoredAtWork wrote: Where can I find the expiry or Best Before date?
The Best Before date is printed on each of our products in either black or green ink. It reads YY-MM-DD. If the product is past this date, you will not get sick, but the quality will be worse than if it was fresh.

https://greatcanadianmeat.com/gcmc-faq/

You should be good, take a bite but don’t swallow and see if it taste really off
I honestly can't find it...unless I'm blind, you all can see the photos too.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3486 posts
3590 upvotes
GTA
There should be a contact number on the bag, if not look it up and give them a call. They may even send you a coupon for free product if they are expired and you tell them that there's no expiry date printed.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
tew wrote: There should be a contact number on the bag, if not look it up and give them a call. They may even send you a coupon for free product if they are expired and you tell them that there's no expiry date printed.
Hmmm, not a bad idea, will look into it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12431 posts
8941 upvotes
Edmonton
Because I'm bored... I Googled "Great Canadian Meat expiry date", and found this:
https://www.amazon.ca/ask/questions/TxD ... _ql_al_hza

Responses from an Amazon vendor with their name that says the expiry date is one year after the packaging date. But also that there's supposed to be a date on the bag, so you could try complaining about that. I probably wouldn't bother eating them, though. Unless you have absolutely no other food in the refridgerator.

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote: Because I'm bored... I Googled "Great Canadian Meat expiry date", and found this:
https://www.amazon.ca/ask/questions/TxD ... _ql_al_hza

Responses from an Amazon vendor with their name that says the expiry date is one year after the packaging date. But also that there's supposed to be a date on the bag, so you could try complaining about that. I probably wouldn't bother eating them, though. Unless you have absolutely no other food in the refridgerator.

C
Tx. Ya, I'm just gonna go w the other poster's suggestion and write to them, hoping they'll give me something for this error; my purchase is obviously way over 1 year by now.

Tbh, if there was an expiry date I would've made mental note and ate it accordingly. Since there was none, I just put it off.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10200 posts
4316 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Tx. Ya, I'm just gonna go w the other poster's suggestion and write to them, hoping they'll give me something for this error; my purchase is obviously way over 1 year by now.

Tbh, if there was an expiry date I would've made mental note and ate it accordingly. Since there was none, I just put it off.
Purchase was over a year ago, but they were fresh then, so if they had an expiry date, it would have been months after.

Just looking at a bag of Schneiders I bought last week they are "best before" Sept. I would not hesitate to eat them this time next year if they were still factory sealed.
Images
  • 16197305753495181607829571983459.jpg
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
Gutty96 wrote: Purchase was over a year ago, but they were fresh then, so if they had an expiry date, it would have been months after.

Just looking at a bag of Schneiders I bought last week they are "best before" Sept. I would not hesitate to eat them this time next year if they were still factory sealed.
Tx, but I'm a different situation since there's no date on my mine from what I've read, they should be good for 1 yr from production, so I'm way over by now.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10200 posts
4316 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Tx, but I'm a different situation since there's no date on my mine from what I've read, they should be good for 1 yr from production, so I'm way over by now.
True.....

Did you give them the sniff test yet?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
Gutty96 wrote: True.....

Did you give them the sniff test yet?
I'm don't wanna open it until I really wanna eat them, and haven't been in the mood for a while now haha. I wrote to them, so fingers crossed, or else, no biggie, probably cost me 5$...not worth risking sitting on the can to not waste it, unless the company comes back w something conclusive like 'ya we said 1 yr from production, but it's actually good for 5'.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13802 posts
8494 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: So much salt and preservative in those. Its also in the fridge which helps. Would be unlikely they actually spoiled. It might not taste as good, thats all.
Like minds think alike. Re. your last comment about it "not taste as good" => you've done more than a few "curing" experiments and it seems in your case, the longer time is ok. Kindof of like aged cured meats..the more age, the more funky deliciousness.

I'm sure OP has heard of Salt cod. Fish sits at room temp with a ton of salt and it can still swim after you put it into water.

Since we speaking about pepperoni...saw a Nosso Talho post on Instagram and decided I need this pepperoni for some pizza. $3.50/ qtr pound.

EZZO Brand, all natural pepperoni is well known across north America and used by some of the best pizzerias throughout North America. The time tested recipe remains the same since 1906. With it legendary flavor and signature "cupping" when cooked on a pizza.

https://nossotalho.com/collections/feat ... ces-1-4-lb

Disclosure: I ate it out of the bag...is it supposed to be cooked? I'm writing this so I guess it's OK "raw".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11895 posts
1714 upvotes
Honestly I wouldn't even have questioned it and ate it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4579 upvotes
Montréal
slowtyper wrote: Honestly I wouldn't even have questioned it and ate it.
Interesting, but how long is too long, despite it being unopened and in the fridge?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13802 posts
8494 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: Interesting, but how long is too long, despite it being unopened and in the fridge?
For deli cured stuff, I usually revert to smell, feel (is it slimy?), appearance. If it looks and smells like usual, I'd probably eat it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1405 posts
930 upvotes
it's been sitting in its own oils for a year. This is going to be damn good. Yes, open it up now and eat it