Expired Hot Deals

Edifier

Certified Refurbished Speakers 20% off + 16% off, FS >$99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2022 2:21 pm
Jul 25, 2016
107 posts
82 upvotes
Any recommendations for a desktop PC setup? Thinking of upgrading my antique Logitech 2.1 system lol....open to the "standard" looking 2.1 PC setup or a 2.0 bookshelf setup.

Mostly gaming, a little TV/Movie watching and listening to music...not generally at super high volume...

Would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience! Thanks
Jan 22, 2007
781 posts
672 upvotes
CityExpat wrote: Any recommendations for a desktop PC setup? Thinking of upgrading my antique Logitech 2.1 system lol....open to the "standard" looking 2.1 PC setup or a 2.0 bookshelf setup.

Mostly gaming, a little TV/Movie watching and listening to music...not generally at super high volume...

scroll back, someone recommnded M3600D
Jul 25, 2016
107 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks, I did see that but reviews on those seem mediocre...was curious if anyone had personal experience.

After some reading i think i'm leaning towards the 1280DB or MR4. 1280DB seems to have more options and connections (bluetooth, remote, on speaker controls etc) while the MR4 maybe sounds a bit better. I prefer the look of the MR4 as well. Tough call!
Jan 18, 2015
25 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If anyone in the Toronto area has a functioning R1850DB left speaker only, please message me. Mine is not under warranty and stopped working. Otherwise, the speakers are excellent value.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1702 posts
245 upvotes
How big of an upgrade would the m3600d be over logitech z204 2.1 setup? I thought usually 2.1 wins over 2.0?
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
Jul 29, 2013
297 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
I still have my Logitech Z2300 working fine. Have speakers come along way since that time for me to upgrade?
[OP]
Feb 10, 2014
370 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
Clocksmith25 wrote: I still have my Logitech Z2300 working fine. Have speakers come along way since that time for me to upgrade?
Not really. A good speaker from the 1970s is still good today.
Oct 19, 2010
161 posts
92 upvotes
Hubby picked up our D12 today and I’m quite impressed with the sound. Thank you OP!
Dec 9, 2019
54 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
RFDeal_or_NoDeal wrote: You guys know the different between Edifier R1280DBs Black for $108.88 & Edifier R1280DB black for $103.88 ? The former with an s after DB, the later without s. The remote control also looks different?
https://sixale.ca/collections/certified ... -black-ref
vs.
https://sixale.ca/collections/certified ... -black-ref
The "s" means that it has a subwoofer port if you want to connect a subwoofer.
Feb 17, 2007
231 posts
93 upvotes
MutantBaseball wrote: The "s" means that it has a subwoofer port if you want to connect a subwoofer.
Thanks. I want to connect it via blutooth with my laptop or Fire tablet to listen songs or play some retro games, which one do you think has a better sound quality?
Jan 26, 2021
36 posts
30 upvotes
RFDeal_or_NoDeal wrote: Thanks. I want to connect it via blutooth with my laptop or Fire tablet to listen songs or play some retro games, which one do you think has a better sound quality?
I think both are the same until you connect a subwoofer. I have R1280DBs and I'm so happy with it, didn't connect a subwoofer yet.
Mar 5, 2007
431 posts
288 upvotes
CityExpat wrote: Any recommendations for a desktop PC setup? Thinking of upgrading my antique Logitech 2.1 system lol....open to the "standard" looking 2.1 PC setup or a 2.0 bookshelf setup.

Totally depends on your budget, really. I'm using a pair of S2000Pros that I picked up on sale for around $375 a couple of years ago. I think I've seen them go as low as $350 on a refurb sale direct from Edifier (?). I can't say enough good things about them. Definitely don't need a discrete sub. The S1000DBs seem pretty well reviewed. If you can afford it, I'd give them a shot before I'd pick up anything from the R-series. Make sure you've got enough desk space though -- they're huge haha
Jun 6, 2008
332 posts
101 upvotes
the brother wrote: scroll back, someone recommnded M3600D
That is what I just bought to replace an ancient Creative Inspire T2900. I just needed 2.1 system that has decent sound that actually works; so my standards were pretty low.

These are excellent, crisp clear sound. I find the base is lacking which is surprising considering the size of the thing... but, my ears might just need some tuning.

If you are looking for a simple 2.1 setup, I would recommend these without hesitation. These have multiple line in and would work with a TV if needed (optical in).

I bought the refurbished set, shipping took a couple days.
Mar 9, 2012
237 posts
223 upvotes
Richmond
Any audiophile here to critic on these speakers? I heard lots of praise about them. So got my friend a pair of R1700BT but didn't like them. They sounds like $200 and really nothing more. I had a pair of LS50 with a class AB tube amp before. Hope to hear more from other audiophiles.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16425 posts
4186 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
evilcookiemonster wrote: Any audiophile here to critic on these speakers? I heard lots of praise about them. So got my friend a pair of R1700BT but didn't like them. They sounds like $200 and really nothing more. I had a pair of LS50 with a class AB tube amp before. Hope to hear more from other audiophiles.
Go into the S series, or even R2000DB.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2530 posts
1168 upvotes
So I ended up buying one of the wifi connected speakers and it got delivered today. Plugged it in and turned it on.. Wow.. very impressed at the amount of sound coming from the relatively small package. Definitely better than any wifi-connected speaker at this $100 price range.

BUT.... once I go above 50% volume which what I would consider small room filling, there's HUGE amounts of distortion. The 4" woofer rattles like a baby toy. Guess that's why it was returned and refurbished. Will try to return or exchange.

EDIT: don't bother with the wifi speaker MS50A. rattles with distortion at the whiff of any sustained bass. Tried multiple speakers they had in stock including a brand new one. THey all had varying levels of distortion.

Same issue with the 1280DBs too though it's less pronounced...

I ended up swapping it out for a refurb D12 which didn't have any distortion at similar volume. ate the difference but the warehouse guys were super nice about me testing out all the speakers.

The D12 seems to play nicely with my airport express. Only downside is I have to use analog headphone jack/RCA instead of optical which I originally planned.

Active power usage is pretty low.. with music cranked, it's drawing only 3W. But when silent, it still draws 2W so I'm probably going to still pair it with a smart plug and set an automation to turn it on when airplay is enabled. Seems to remember power state + input as well when power is cut from the plug which is good.

So for a decent airplay speaker for $100, I can't complain. Wish i didn't have to jerryrig everything but better than paying retail price on these speakers. Honestly though, the sound is nothing mind blowing. Not sure what hoopla is all about. I DO like the look of the speakers though. nice wood aesthetic which is what I think is drawing in a lot of people.

Edit2: after doing some A/B testing with my sphereX speakers, the D12's are quite flat sounding. Even with treble maxed out, it's not as bright as my sphereX. The mids sound muddy. the base is nothing to write home to and I can't fairly compare it to the sphereX since that has an actual subwoofer.

Ultimately, I'm comparing this to Ikea Symfonisk Speakers (or sonos one). Similarly priced... and the D12 is definitely more room filling with much better base. Can't complain... will have to stew on this for a while.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2014
370 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
evilcookiemonster wrote: Any audiophile here to critic on these speakers? I heard lots of praise about them. So got my friend a pair of R1700BT but didn't like them. They sounds like $200 and really nothing more. I had a pair of LS50 with a class AB tube amp before. Hope to hear more from other audiophiles.
Nowhere close these are from audiophile level. Yes I totally agree they sound like $200 pair of speakers. And I don't see any problem with that. The problem is a lot of $200 speakers on the market today sound like $39.99.
Oct 1, 2020
883 posts
2140 upvotes
Got the r1280DBs. Best pair of $100 speakers I've ever heard. Beats my TV's speakers (ofc), and beats out any soundbar I've tried.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)