• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 3:34 am
Dec 7, 2012
223 posts
212 upvotes
Kelowna
Ridinginoffice7 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:42 am
Come on its not that much...not soo much to worry about.. i would say it will be less than what our home Internet modem consume
I was merely pointing out the difference between you telling someone they consume no power at idle when that is in fact a false statement. How much power they consume wasn't the point of my comment, rather it was to truthfully answer the original question.

I don't have a wall meter available, but let's say for example these speakers pull 8W from the wall while idle. That works out to be 70.08kWh over a year if they are left on 24/7, which is roughly $9.28 a year in electricity in Vancouver. While that in itself isn't a lot, it isn't trivial, and does matter to some people.
Oct 18, 2018
661 posts
257 upvotes
Wallzii wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:05 pm
I was merely pointing out the difference between you telling someone they consume no power at idle when that is in fact a false statement. How much power they consume wasn't the point of my comment, rather it was to truthfully answer the original question.

I don't have a wall meter available, but let's say for example these speakers pull 8W from the wall while idle. That works out to be 70.08kWh over a year if they are left on 24/7, which is roughly $9.28 a year in electricity in Vancouver. While that in itself isn't a lot, it isn't trivial, and does matter to some people.
Clapping Hands SignClapping Hands SignClapping Hands Sign
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8917 posts
1853 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Depends of the amplifier type, if it's a class AB, then yes the consumption would be always the same
But chances are, it's a Class-D, in which case it will draw less power when there's no audio output.

Either way, consumption should be minimal.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:18 pm
Depends of the amplifier type, if it's a class AB, then yes the consumption would be always the same
Actually a Class A amp would always consume about the same amount of power, while a class AB amp is more efficient. There's a good explanation here: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/am ... ifier.html

Essentially the analog amps are trying to avoid a little glitch of distortion that occurs when the input signal goes from zero to some value, which they do by pre-biasing with an offset signal level. But that means they are always consuming the amount of power required by the offset. Class A amps offset the full amount of the maximum signal expected, while class AB amps compromise between efficiency and the chance of distortion by using a lesser offset bias.

But I suspect the power drain of these speakers is very small when idle. The way to tell for sure would be to use a power meter. I have one, but sadly won't have these speakers to test due to the disappearance of the promo code.
Apr 19, 2017
32 posts
27 upvotes
Measured with a Kill-A-Watt, at the outlet - the speakers consume approximately 2.3 watts at idle.
RFD Mods, please recover my old account (#22182)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39722 posts
5909 upvotes
King City
Just to reconfirm, to use both of the speakers either VIA BT or via the Audio in jack, I need to have them hooked up to each other via speaker wire. Correct?
Proud to be an Indian.
Oct 25, 2018
600 posts
624 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:27 pm
Actually a Class A amp would always consume about the same amount of power, while a class AB amp is more efficient. There's a good explanation here: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/am ... ifier.html

Essentially the analog amps are trying to avoid a little glitch of distortion that occurs when the input signal goes from zero to some value, which they do by pre-biasing with an offset signal level. But that means they are always consuming the amount of power required by the offset. Class A amps offset the full amount of the maximum signal expected, while class AB amps compromise between efficiency and the chance of distortion by using a lesser offset bias.

But I suspect the power drain of these speakers is very small when idle. The way to tell for sure would be to use a power meter. I have one, but sadly won't have these speakers to test due to the disappearance of the promo code.
Good info and I don't mean to be rude but you are not grabbing these amazing speakers at the lowest they have been because the bonus 10% code that came to be a couple days after the deal came out is no longer working? The cost of less than a a Big Mac meal is stopping you?!

I ordered a second set after my first arrive, these are amazing, grab a set!!!
djemzine wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:40 pm
Just to reconfirm, to use both of the speakers either VIA BT or via the Audio in jack, I need to have them hooked up to each other via speaker wire. Correct?
Yep!
The speaker you plug in has the amp and everything inside while the other is just a speaker so the wire is the power needed to run the 2nd speaker.
Dec 7, 2012
223 posts
212 upvotes
Kelowna
LeeSon wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:32 pm
Measured with a Kill-A-Watt, at the outlet - the speakers consume approximately 2.3 watts at idle.
Thank you for the actual number. Again, they do draw power at idle.

Is it a lot? No, but it isn't zero.
Oct 18, 2018
661 posts
257 upvotes
Wallzii wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:47 pm
Thank you for the actual number. Again, they do draw power at idle.

Is it a lot? No, but it isn't zero.
Can you now please post the $dollar value /per year for this consumption. Thank you
Dec 7, 2012
223 posts
212 upvotes
Kelowna
Ridinginoffice7 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:53 pm
Can you now please post the $dollar value /per year for this consumption. Thank you
You made a blatantly wrong statement to someone asking you a question, I merely corrected your facts to provide that user the truth to their question. The calculations I made were to show that even a small idle consumption is not trivial, albeit yes it is small.

I'm sorry if I insulted your ego, but take your sass and sarcasm elsewhere.
Jan 28, 2018
853 posts
1312 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jeez. Chill, all of you.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Apr 19, 2017
32 posts
27 upvotes
Excluding delivery fees, regulatory fees and HST - in Toronto, if left idle for an entire year, these speakers would consume approximately 20.15 kWh and cost approximately $1.79. This cost takes into account the three tiers of electricity prices that we pay here in Toronto (on-peak, mid-peak, off-peak). Hope this helps.

LeeSon wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:32 pm
RFD Mods, please recover my old account (#22182)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2558 posts
1995 upvotes
Oakville
mikka2017 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 10:49 am
tried both! no worky! i already have NON bt bookshelf klipsch ones, but i might use this with the apple 4k with my other tv,(i have TWO tvs in my bedroom :D
What are you a savant?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Mar 7, 2011
135 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Ridinginoffice7 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 12:53 pm
Just about everything nowadays is always "ON" to some degree.... TV's, AV Receivers, Android box, DVD Players, Computers, Microwaves.... The only way to turn them off completely is to unplug them.... The days of having a mechanical power switch for most products left over 20+ years ago... At least these have a switch....
Last edited by rf34as on Apr 16th, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1902 posts
945 upvotes
Montreal
Wow that's amazing- thank you! I was even able to create a device group to play two bluetooth speakers at the same time, but the delay mismatch was too long. I tried delay correction in settings but the maximum adjustment is 200ms. I think my delay is about 700ms.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]