Hot Deals

[Edifier] R1850DB Bookshelf Speakers 40% off + other speakers and headphones

Sep 23, 2014
603 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dankashun wrote: Can I connect the P12s or R1850DB directly to my laptop/PC setup on my desk? Can these be used as desktop speakers for PC audio output?
R1850 Yes, P12 no cause they're passive speakers.
Nov 23, 2017
31 posts
30 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: R1850 Yes, P12 no cause they're passive speakers.
Will the R1850 be better than a Sonos Playbar for home theatre?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1099 posts
421 upvotes
This might be a dumb questions but how do these compare to tower speakers? I'm looking to build a 5.1 system but I'm in no rush. The S3000Pro seems nicely reviewed, but would I be better off getting towers or waiting for them to drop more?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3964 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
Sheed30 wrote: I already own the H840 headphones which I bought last year for $45 and still currently using and just bought another pair at this price for a spare. Thanks OP.
I'm curious about the degree of sound isolation. Thinking of getting them as a basic entry headphone for music and podcast editing (my open-back Sennheisers are great, but let in too much background noise fro that task). What do you think?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2965 posts
663 upvotes
BC
yeti13 wrote: Canada.post tracking says shipped from Ottawa, Ontario. I'll have a look at the senders address when I get it tomorrow.

So, what's the best way to connect the s3000's to a modern 4k, Dolby TV?
Optical out
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2965 posts
663 upvotes
BC
Dante19 wrote: This might be a dumb questions but how do these compare to tower speakers? I'm looking to build a 5.1 system but I'm in no rush. The S3000Pro seems nicely reviewed, but would I be better off getting towers or waiting for them to drop more?
They genuinely sound like tower speakers, very nuts. With that said, if you want surround sound, passive speakers are the only way to go.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4238 posts
795 upvotes
Ridinginoffice7 wrote: This looks good... is there any cheaper alternative to this product?
Not sure, it's a bit of niche product as people usually go for something more integrated (this type of functionality is mainly found in the higher-end HT receivers). You may to go through the various Chinese selling platforms to see if there are other alternatives.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1496 posts
44 upvotes
I just got my R1850DB's and hooked them up to my cheap Chinese projector (which isn't actually too bad). One on each of my nightstands, and they sound pretty great. They feel pretty solid, and I like their finish, but they're a little big for my nightstands.. My bad I guess.

In terms of sound, they're really clear. I bumped them a bit today with Spotify and Youtube, and they did pretty well. Not sure I'd pay regular price for these, but at 149 I'd say they're worth it if you need soundbar, PC, or simple projector speakers.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1875 posts
208 upvotes
NB
NRFDRFDR wrote: I just got my R1850DB's and hooked them up to my cheap Chinese projector (which isn't actually too bad). One on each of my nightstands, and they sound pretty great. They feel pretty solid, and I like their finish, but they're a little big for my nightstands.. My bad I guess.

In terms of sound, they're really clear. I bumped them a bit today with Spotify and Youtube, and they did pretty well. Not sure I'd pay regular price for these, but at 149 I'd say they're worth it if you need soundbar, PC, or simple projector speakers.
Is the glossy finish a clear coat like a guitar or plastic?

TIA
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1496 posts
44 upvotes
Guitar like clear coat I guess? Kind of piano-ey?? Nothing on these feels cheap if that's your question. From the knobs to the connectors, to the weight, to the finish, it all looks and feels nice.

These aren't the greatest things since sliced bread or anything, but at 149 there's great value here, especially considering the inputs/outputs and Bluetooth
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1099 posts
421 upvotes
Ren wrote: They genuinely sound like tower speakers, very nuts. With that said, if you want surround sound, passive speakers are the only way to go.
How come?
Mar 31, 2008
162 posts
54 upvotes
Alberta
Dante19 wrote: How come?
Because your surround sound receiver would be supplying the power to drive the speakers. However, you could use active speakers with an amp with pre-outs. Amps with pre-outs are usually not entry level, so you would think the power in those amps are better than the power from these speakers though.
Oct 14, 2012
79 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
yeti13 wrote:
I bought the s3000pro. Its coming from Ontario. I'm in Vancouver. It's been 7 days since I ordered, due to arrive tomorrow. It's coming directly from edifier I'm pretty sure.
Ren wrote: Edifier is based out of Vancouver as far as I know. Maybe it’s coming straight from China?
The shipping is pretty weird. I received a tracking number on Thursday from Canada Post, it didn't update until 2am and shows I'll be receiving the speakers today.

My order is coming directly from Richmond Hill. I think they're using a 3rd party shipping company that ships to their own warehouses and then re-ships with Canada post.

Overall, it took 5 business days to ship the S3000 pro (if I receive my order today). Not too bad, just lacking in shipping updates. Customer service never responded to my ticket though.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2965 posts
663 upvotes
BC
Dante19 wrote: How come?
Powered speakers just add complication to an already complicated AVR. For example, pre-outs on an AVR have already gone from digital to analog with this set up you would go:

Digital>analog>digital>analog obviously, this would be lossy to a degree.

On top of that you have different volume controls for the passive and active speakers, but you still need to manage their calibration as volume goes up and down. It’s a total mess.
Nov 2, 2019
13 posts
6 upvotes
I run the R1850DB setup with a 12" Polk sub and it's an incredible setup. For $250 altogether (bought on Kijiji used) it's a hell of a deal for such a good sound setup. The bass is booming, the mids are good and the highs are good. This isn't the incredibly crisp, experience-changing level you may want from a $1000-$2000 setup, but this is a great setup for a budget theatre experience, and probably the best thing you can buy at this price point. Also of note is the convenient bluetooth of the R1850DBs, which I use a couple times a week. The bluetooth makes it easy to switch from listening on the TV to firing music from my phone.

I bought this for $150 used. Knowing how much I've enjoyed them for the past 16 months, I'd buy these for $150 new without hesitation.

For reference I'm comparing the sound quality from the R1850DB/12"sub to a pair of Denon AH-D9200 headphones.