None
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa

Edited Posts

Why is it that some moderators will edit posts and other just delete entire posts. Is there no standard?
While there may be situations where intervention is called for for certain phrases or sentences, it may not require the entire post to be deleted. I have seen some posts that have been annotated as edited and then there are some that have disappeared completely and there was useful and relevant information within them and the responses to them have also disappeared as a result of the deletion.
An arbiter should be more of a diplomat as opposed to a censor. Is there a standard or is it up to each to decide as they see fit?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
20 replies
Sep 27, 2003
9975 posts
2609 upvotes
Newmarket
It is up to the mods, as they see fit. No different than a cop that chooses to issue the ticket as per the infraction or to reduce the ticket on the spot or to simply issue a warning. Context / background will yield the result.

If the mod feels, in their opinion, that amending the post serves its purpose, they would do so. However, in other situations, deleting the post in its whole, may serve several purposes. Sometimes removing the post, despite parts of it perhaps being "ok", serves to make a point to a poster or nuances within a thread.

However, when editing or removing a post, a reason should always be left. That being said, the decision to edit vs. remove is up to the mod.
RFD Forums Moderator
Aug 20, 2009
7428 posts
2205 upvotes
Grimsby
The only standard is that we generally leave a reason when possible. Sometimes this isn't possible due to technical issues - editing on mobile for example can be challenging and we're sometimes forced to do so when dealing with a spammer in hot deals or another urgent situation. Every report is different and requires subjective judgement. Sometimes a post or thread needs to be edited, sometimes it needs to be deleted and sometimes neither. Every situation is different and involves posters with different histories. Sometimes two moderators might have a different take on similar situations but generally speaking I think we strike a pretty good balance. The ownership here is very permissive and all of our actions are fully accountable as well.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
I guess my complaint is the inconsistency.
Some mods only say "Please read the RFD rules and if this doesn't answer your questions, please contact an administrator for assistance.". Not knowing what rule is broken or what opinion is breached.
Others give a reason.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Aug 20, 2009
7428 posts
2205 upvotes
Grimsby
You can message the moderator in question and politely inquire or escalate to an admin if necessary. I can only speak for myself but if people are polite when they reach out then I have no issues responding with my thoughts, time permitting.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
Redmask wrote: You can message the moderator in question and politely inquire or escalate to an admin if necessary. I can only speak for myself but if people are polite when they reach out then I have no issues responding with my thoughts, time permitting.
Funny, that is what one moderator says all the time.....and then gets upset when questioned again because of no response.
Again, consistency is lacking. If posters have rules to abide with, so should the staff.
Sep 27, 2003
9975 posts
2609 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote: Funny, that is what one moderator says all the time.....and then gets upset when questioned again because of no response.
Again, consistency is lacking. If posters have rules to abide with, so should the staff.
Members can also follow our rules so that moderation isn't required. It's a two way street. We typically only see those who have been moderated complaining about our moderation process.

I do agree though. Referring someone to read the rules (without further context) is not much use. Some extensions on the moderation / auto messaging system may be useful so that if moderation occurs, additional detail can be included as a part of the PM that typically gets sent to the user. If I'm going to moderate someone's post and it isn't glaringly obvious as to why I'm doing so, I would typically ensure that the reason is shared with the user. If they are still unclear, I am happy to clarify. If they are unhappy with my decision, then I would refer them to @TomRFD for additional review.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote: Members can also follow our rules so that moderation isn't required. It's a two way street. We typically only see those who have been moderated complaining about our moderation process.

I do agree though. Referring someone to read the rules (without further context) is not much use. Some extensions on the moderation / auto messaging system may be useful so that if moderation occurs, additional detail can be included as a part of the PM that typically gets sent to the user. If I'm going to moderate someone's post and it isn't glaringly obvious as to why I'm doing so, I would typically ensure that the reason is shared with the user. If they are still unclear, I am happy to clarify. If they are unhappy with my decision, then I would refer them to @TomRFD for additional review.
100% correct. Members should follow the rules.
Thing is, when edited or deleted if we were informed what rule was broken, it would be helpful for the future. And when asked, get nothing or to get a response saying "Please read the RFD rules and if this doesn't answer your questions, please contact an administrator for assistance." is of no help.
I appreciate your effort and thank you for that. Unfortunately, you are only one and there are some that are completely opposite. My way, my opinion and that is it. I have complained.
Last edited by WorldIRC on May 14th, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Test Edit
Sep 27, 2003
9975 posts
2609 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote: 100% correct. Members should follow the rules.
Thing is, when edited or deleted if we were informed what rule was broken, it would be helpful for the future. And when asked, get nothing or to get a response saying "Please read the RFD rules and if this doesn't answer your questions, please contact an administrator for assistance." is of no help.
I appreciate your effort and thank you for that. Unfortunately, you are only one and there are some that are completely opposite. My way, my opinion and that is it. I have complained.
I agree and this is something @TomRFD may wish to further look into, either in terms of technology or process.

When editing a post, we can leave a reason. If you look at your post (the one I am quoting), you'll see I was able to leave a reason. However, when we do it this way, it is visible for all to see. Sometimes the edit is a bit more sensitive. Maybe @TomRFD can look for a way to communicate the reason through PM only and not within the post itself.

When deleting a post, we also have a box to fill in a reason. However, I am not sure if this reason is communicated to the user or not. @TomRFD can you confirm?

When issuing a warning or infraction, we have a specific reason box that is then shared with the user.

I think with the existing technology and ensuring mods are filling out the reason boxes (with an actual reason), it should be quite simple to advise a poster why their post was edited, removed, or an infraction / warning issued.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote: I agree and this is something @TomRFD may wish to further look into, either in terms of technology or process.

When editing a post, we can leave a reason. If you look at your post (the one I am quoting), you'll see I was able to leave a reason. However, when we do it this way, it is visible for all to see. Sometimes the edit is a bit more sensitive. Maybe @TomRFD can look for a way to communicate the reason through PM only and not within the post itself.

When deleting a post, we also have a box to fill in a reason. However, I am not sure if this reason is communicated to the user or not. @TomRFD can you confirm?

When issuing a warning or infraction, we have a specific reason box that is then shared with the user.

I think with the existing technology and ensuring mods are filling out the reason boxes, it should be quite simple to advise a poster why their post was edited, removed, or an infraction / warning issued.
Got your test edit :).
Exactly what a certain mod always sends.....no more, just that and when asked, get told to talk to Tom LOL
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13540 posts
25738 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote: When editing a post, we can leave a reason. If you look at your post (the one I am quoting), you'll see I was able to leave a reason. However, when we do it this way, it is visible for all to see. Sometimes the edit is a bit more sensitive. Maybe @TomRFD can look for a way to communicate the reason through PM only and not within the post itself.

If an edit happens to require more discretion and shouldn't be publicly visible, the moderator can always send a separate private message. I don't think this is too often the case though and the reason box is usually filled out.

When a post is deleted the reason is always included in the automated PM. Just from deleting posts myself and seeing the replies I get back, maybe we could increase the size or bold the reason line as sometimes users do respond back as if they don't know why the action was taken.
Pete_Coach wrote: Got your test edit :).
Exactly what a certain mod always sends.....no more, just that and when asked, get told to talk to Tom LOL
If a moderators action was unclear and they are politely asked why it was done, they'll reply back most of the time. Often it's sent with aggression, sometimes even including attacks or profanity, and in those cases I don't blame them for not replying.

The line to contact me was added in because at the end of the day, that's always another option in addition to replying back to the moderator generated auto PM.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: If an edit happens to require more discretion and shouldn't be publicly visible, the moderator can always send a separate private message. I don't think this is too often the case though and the reason box is usually filled out.

When a post is deleted the reason is always included in the automated PM. Just from deleting posts myself and seeing the replies I get back, maybe we could increase the size or bold the reason line as sometimes users do respond back as if they don't know why the action was taken.

If a moderators action was unclear and they are politely asked why it was done, they'll reply back most of the time. Often it's sent with aggression, sometimes even including attacks or profanity, and in those cases I don't blame them for not replying.

The line to contact me was added in because at the end of the day, that's always another option in addition to replying back to the moderator generated auto PM.
I get what you are saying.
All I am trying to convey is that some mods do not say any more than the automated response and when questioned, give the automated answer. No standard, just the discretion of the individual mod.
Your position is to stand by the mods and I get that too
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3690 posts
743 upvotes
centre of universe
Pete_Coach wrote: Why is it that some moderators will edit posts and other just delete entire posts. Is there no standard?
While there may be situations where intervention is called for for certain phrases or sentences, it may not require the entire post to be deleted. I have seen some posts that have been annotated as edited and then there are some that have disappeared completely and there was useful and relevant information within them and the responses to them have also disappeared as a result of the deletion.
An arbiter should be more of a diplomat as opposed to a censor. Is there a standard or is it up to each to decide as they see fit?
have no idea why are you complaining. You and almost everyone knows there is no solution/use. It is what they rule. Comparison to cops is far fetched as we can get justice in courts systems if we peruse. Here it is one person decides.
The best mod I have seen was named Titan or something. very reasonable and willing to listen. and give reasons. rest Dont question the autorita.

I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7358 posts
3640 upvotes
Alberta
They should really get rid of this. Sometimes you can't even fix a typo without this showing up.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxx on May 19th, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 27, 2003
9975 posts
2609 upvotes
Newmarket
jackrabbit000 wrote: They should really get rid of this. Sometimes you can't even fix a typo without this showing up.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxx on May 19th, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think there's a time limit before that shows up....or as soon as others have viewed the thread.
RFD Forums Moderator