Off Topic

Edward Snowden is the NSA whistleblower

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:16 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
Mike2000z28 wrote: Americans wanted this, granted it goes a bit beyond the PA, but it was a bipartisan effort that passed. They have more or less Meta Data if you know what that is. It isn't the movies. It isn't anything new and yeah he is a traitor and should be extradited. He had top secret clearance and your its your job to keep that top secret. You quit if you don't have the stomach for it. He broke the law plain and simple. It has been going on years now, but nobody has been affected and spare me the drama queen stuff.
No they didn't, they're just not empowered to stop it. Our government is just as dysfunctional as theirs and they at least have higher political participation. Our spy bills go straight through too.

What tools do they have to prevent it? We the people (Will listen to the government)? Our democracy's are sick.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1349 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal
Reminds of the gun crowd. You don't want terrorist attacks, but then you don't want any spying or covert ops going on. They aren't exactly using this against you for anything other than terrorism. It isn't like they are arresting people over stupid stuff from the NSA data. Lets get real. When you live in a free country, nothing is 100% safe. If Americans really don't want, they will throw out all the representatives and elect ones that will overturn it. It really is like that, but then you can't whine about oh home come they didn't stop or bla bla bla. You can't have your cake and eat it to. It has been going on for years and hasn't affected anyone. This forum among many other is sheer proof with what is said that they don't come after you. HK is not China as well and it has a extradition treaty with the US. Americans are empowered with firearms and that is pretty much the main reason why the founding fathers made it a right. I worry about other countries that don't have the same rights as Americans because they can't standup against the government if push came to shove.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
Throw out the Republicans that approve of it and replace them with democrats that approve of it or vice versa?

As a Canadian I guess you want the Canadian versions of these programs that are in place?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
Thank god for the CHANGE we got with Obama.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19133 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote: Thank god for the CHANGE we got with Obama.
This started under Bush, and is being supported by both parties.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4100 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
Piro21 wrote: This started under Bush, and is being supported by both parties.
Yup, and Obama promised change on this issue. Sadly, he's proof that essentially there's very little difference between the left and the right in the USA (and I think we're going to learn this lesson in Canada over the next decade too. Libs and Cons just want to infringe on different rights and privacies.)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to get change when the other party is not willing to compromise. Real change will come once these policymakers die off or retire, sad to say.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10376 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Edward Snowden is probably being supported by PRC. The bigger scandal he makes out of it the better.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
manixc wrote: Just how powerful is this thing? For example, can they type in John Doe from some city, state and be able to pull out everything this Joe Doe has done for the past year?
Very unlikely. While they have the ability to collect the data, the time required to process it is immense. In reality, they need a reason to go and pull the data associated with an individual or phone number or email address and then have an analyst look at that to make any reasonable inference.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
rommelrommel wrote: Yup, and Obama promised change on this issue. Sadly, he's proof that essentially there's very little difference between the left and the right in the USA (and I think we're going to learn this lesson in Canada over the next decade too. Libs and Cons just want to infringe on different rights and privacies.)
The use of the "left" and "right" labels is not helpful and has little relevance to this discussion. Most people simply misunderstand that the "right" stand more for individual rights than the "left" who believe that the rights of the majority rather than the rights of the individual.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
Luckyinfil wrote: Why are people concerned about emails not being private? Emails by default is not a secured means of communication. Anybody (not just the government) could be snooping in on your emails.
Absolutely agree! No form of electronic or written communication is secure. If you need to communicate securely with somebody, go talk to them!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
Jimbobs wrote: The use of the "left" and "right" labels is not helpful and has little relevance to this discussion. Most people simply misunderstand that the "right" stand more for individual rights than the "left" who believe that the rights of the majority rather than the rights of the individual.
It kind of does...The American public were basically sold a bill of goods that Obama will be so very different from the previous regime..."Change" Hope" blah,blah, blah...and in turn they got someone who pretty much slammed Bush while campaigning but continues on in the same freedom-usurping ways. people should be angry about deception from their leaders.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
LostInTruth wrote: Hard to get change when the other party is not willing to compromise. Real change will come once these policymakers die off or retire, sad to say.
yup, clearly this newest infringement on privacy stemmed from the Right and was shoved down the Presidents throat :facepalm:
brainwashed much?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote: It kind of does...The American public were basically sold a bill of goods that Obama will be so very different from the previous regime..."Change" Hope" blah,blah, blah...and in turn they got someone who pretty much slammed Bush while campaigning but continues on in the same freedom-usurping ways. people should be angry about deception from their leaders.
I absolutely agree with everything you've written after "It kind of does ..." but it has absolutely nothing to do with "right" or "left". In reality, there are many shades across the political spectrum and those who try to reduce it to "right" or "left" are just trying to prevent the voter from seeing, or analyzing, the nuances of the argument.

As far as I am concerned, Obama's failure to keep his promise to close the Guantanamo Bay Concentration Camp tells the full story about him and his ineptness.

Top