Off Topic

Edward Snowden is the NSA whistleblower

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:16 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
10846 posts
109 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kevindurant1 wrote: Yeah. That has been known for a long time. It was leaked by Snowden.

Phones(smart phones) have a hardware/software backdoor.

Routers, Laptops and anything that has a bluetooth/wifi.
All I can say is that if they are recording me then they had better enjoy sports betting, antiques and pictures of my big hairy ass.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
king_george wrote: All I can say is that if they are recording me then they had better enjoy sports betting, antiques and pictures of my big hairy ass.
And that is fine but what about your family? I am sure you value their privacy.

Remember, smartphones are 2 way cameras. They are pretty much little spy machines.

Years ago there was an NSA employee that got caught with child porn.

It is too bad because only a few people care about this.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
10846 posts
109 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kevindurant1 wrote: And that is fine but what about your family? I am sure you value their privacy.

Remember, smartphones are 2 way cameras. They are pretty much little spy machines.

Years ago there was an NSA employee that got caught with child porn.

It is too bad because only a few people care about this.
:lol: the wife, one of the kids and I have 10 year old phones, no data plan and not even the ability to send text pictures. Not much chance of being invaded in this house. My other kids use a charging box where the phone is enclosed in a faraday cage while charging so no interruptions at night. They live on their own btw. I also turn off the phones wifi unless I need it.
We are very very aware of privacy issues since a large part of my job was to mitigate cyber threats for metrolinx. I drilled privacy into their heads constantly.
We caught an employee with rather disturbing child images on a company iPhone. A monitoring app that connects to our server caught it. I found it just amazingly stupid because when you are assigned a phone, you get a lecture on what and what not is allowed and are told that their activity is monitored whenever the phone is powered up. Several people were fired when hacking tools were found on the company laptops and phones although I dont exactly know how hacking is done on an iPhone.
Just because one person is caught doesnt mean its widespread across an organization.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
SamuraiPizzaCat wrote: Everyone should read his book Permanent Record he released last year.
I have the book checked out from the library. Hopefully it is interesting. I think I already read Glen Greenwald's book No Place to Hide. I wasn't enthralled by the Joe Rogan interview.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Jr. Member
May 6, 2006
151 posts
57 upvotes
Victoria
Becks wrote: I have the book checked out from the library. Hopefully it is interesting. I think I already read Glen Greenwald's book No Place to Hide. I wasn't enthralled by the Joe Rogan interview.
I'll check out that Greenwald book
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
1804 posts
333 upvotes
Lévis
MrPerfect wrote: I read that this was only for Americans inside America? Do I have a reason to believe that this might not be entire true as how can they know who is a American and who is not?
No it wasn't. If you watch the movie, he mentionned that they asked the japenese to do it. Japanese officials said it's not allowed. Well, NSA did it anyway...
They spied pretty much anybody and not only for good reasons.

The example I use to make peoples realise that the don't worry attitude is not OK:
If they ever contact you and ask to interept your calls and emails and put some cams in your house, would you say "sure, I have nothing to hide"? That's what they do except they don't ask.
Pourquoi pas?

Top