• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 6:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
740 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto

Eero vs Eero 6? Looking for advice.

Got some amazon gift cards and have really bad wifi at home - regular detached 2 floor home. My internet is Rogers Gigabit and I have ethernet wired in every single room. I'm currently running 3 routers with same SSID and it's kind of sticky in terms of roaming no matter how I adjust the settings and was hoping mesh can help with that. Even with this setup, I'm getting dead spots.

I can't decide Eero vs Eero 6? I think Eero 6 is good for 500Mbps but will I actually be able to get that speed? I think the Eero 6 pro is 1000Mbps rated but it's over $600+ so that's out of the budget for now. Any one out there with experience on these?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2346 posts
971 upvotes
3 AP's and you're still getting bad wifi? been there.. =) Have you balanced your transmit strengths and channel selections?

How big is your home you're trying to cover?

What's your budget and what kind of speeds do you need for your wireless devices?

How many Wifi 6 devices do you have and of those devices, do you /really/ need then to perform near theoretical maximums (500+ mbps)?

Can you run ethernet to more than one node?

Personally, the eero cupcakes (dual-band wifi 5) is a great way to dip your toes into the eero ecosystem. but if you really want wifi 6 and need that high wifi 6 throughput, or need thread support, then wifi 6 is your best option.