Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2916 posts
877 upvotes
Woodbridge

Effect of CPU vs. GPU vs. RAM

Could somebody please explain in layman's terms how these three specs actually affect a user experience? For example, a fast cpu would let you do this, this, and this but has no effect on... A better GPU would etc.

My wife has been using my old Nexus 5 and she's happy with it, but it's starting to wear down. I'm looking for alternatives and I see many newer low end devices that have the same or better 2GB RAM, significantly more modern Adreno 500 or better GPUs (compared to Nexus 5 Adreno 330), but slower CPUs, for example Snapdragon 430 octa-core 1.4ghz vs Snapdragon 800 quad core 2.26ghz.

I'm not interested in benchmarks but rather real world user experience. What differences might there be? More cores but slower speed, how does that affect things?

Thanks for your help!
5 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12427 posts
9164 upvotes
Leask
Yours need GPU primarily for gaming. You can game hard on a $600+ device, but will lag on a budget and some mid-range.

Productivity-wise, as long as the screen size meets your comfort zone, then even a $200 phone can work as a daily driver (2016 onwards...any older budget phone not worth it today). 2GB RAM is sufficient for daily use, but "power users" may prefer to splurge on 4+GB RAM.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2916 posts
877 upvotes
Woodbridge
Yeah, the Nexus 5 has been fine for her. It doesn't lag or limit her usage in any way. The battery is starting to fade more and more quickly every week and if I could find something that gives her at least the same or slightly better user experience as the Nexus 5 for ~150-200 that would be perfect.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12427 posts
9164 upvotes
Leask
jvnanu wrote: Yeah, the Nexus 5 has been fine for her. It doesn't lag or limit her usage in any way. The battery is starting to fade more and more quickly every week and if I could find something that gives her at least the same or slightly better user experience as the Nexus 5 for ~150-200 that would be perfect.
  • Moto G5
  • LG X Power 2
  • Galaxy J3 Prime (although I'd only recommend the Sammy if it's on a carrier liquidation)
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2515 posts
1007 upvotes
MARKHAM
get the letv elite x722, it always go on sales for around $200, best bang per dollar phone out there. thou that company bankrupt so don't expect any update or support.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2916 posts
877 upvotes
Woodbridge
JasonCao wrote: get the letv elite x722, it always go on sales for around $200, best bang per dollar phone out there. thou that company bankrupt so don't expect any update or support.
Those are actually crazy specs for that price. And that battery is huge. And it seems that Lineage OS supports it. Heck, if I look more into this it might end up replacing my OP2 too.