• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2021 6:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 26, 2020
9 posts
3 upvotes

Effective dog deterrents

Was tempted to piggyback off the other thread, but this is slightly different since local dog owners are leaving shit behind in my front yard. I've tried talking to some of the dog owners, but they would either pretend they didn't see it or they didn't bring a bag and continue to do it next time when they think no one is watching. There's a variety of different coloured and shaped dog poop, so we're certain there's more than one dog. Before it was negligible and once in awhile, but this year has been really bad, since pandemic puppies are all the rage. I'm ready to start flinging shit with a shovel.

It doesn't help that I'm at a corner lot with no sidewalks, so dog walkers treat my front yard as a park. Heck, I've seen parents with kids treat it like a park, but at least they don't leave poo and pee behind. Fencing it off doesn't help much since there's a wide strip of government land that I still have to maintain and they'd probably continue to do it there. I've heard that bushes and rocks are natural barriers, but those dogs proceed to pee and poo where the rocks and bushes are. Are there any effective products that you recommend?
36 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4580 upvotes
Montréal
Here for moral support: your case would drive me nuts, I dunno if I would resort to flinging back their crap though but it's a funny scenario lol. Your neighbors are real POS, wow...
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17100 posts
14496 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya sometimes owning a nice big corner lot isn’t all it’s cracked up to be
And having inconsiderate neighbours ... no matter where you live
SUCKS!

You might want to read this thread on landscaping ideas for a corner lot

landscape-ideas-corner-lot-2375380/

Lol, or this one ... and be thankful your situation isn’t as bad
neighbours-who-doesnt-respect-your-prop ... o-2378493/
[OP]
Oct 26, 2020
9 posts
3 upvotes
6060842 wrote: You could get infrared cameras and facial recognition software. Flinging shovels of poo sounds a bit unhinged though.
We have a camera. They simply don't care. I wouldn't actually fling the poop though... too much of a coward to do that.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16857 posts
18594 upvotes
Oakville
ideation wrote: We have a camera. They simply don't care. I wouldn't actually fling the poop though... too much of a coward to do that.
Post their photos on lamp posts in the area. Name and shame them. Maybe on nextdoor.com as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sep 23, 2019
212 posts
276 upvotes
Pick up dog poo with the showel from your lawn and put them on the walkway. Instead of being just YOUR problem, it becomes EVERYBODY problem as people will have to watch where they walk so they would not step into dog poo. Next advice after that - motion-activated sprinkles.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3922 posts
941 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
RedFlagAlias wrote: Pick up dog poo with the showel from your lawn and put them on the walkway. Instead of being just YOUR problem, it becomes EVERYBODY problem as people will have to watch where they walk so they would not step into dog poo. Next advice after that - motion-activated sprinkles.
This is the one you can try. Move the doggy poo onto the road near the curb.

Other ideas
https://www.gardenguides.com/129261-mul ... arden.html
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4898 posts
3800 upvotes
I don't understand from your description why fencing or shrubs wouldn't work. Post a pic of the area along with the dimensions to get better advice. Something like this wouldn't work?
Screenshot_20210410-225454_Google.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3311 posts
808 upvotes
ugh, i feel your pain... when we moved into a new subdivision (no fences in the backyard), the neighbour got a dog... it shitted everywhere... we tried to talk to the neighbour, the responds was "it's natural, if you don't like it you can move." we thew the shit back... we even called the city and assume they were fined. but nothing happened. eventually, the fences went up.

the problem now is because they eat outside and have people over (prior to covid), there are mice problems.

not really sure what you can do... potentially put a sign that says "lawn fertilized. poison to dogs"
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16857 posts
18594 upvotes
Oakville
CrazyJo82 wrote: ugh, i feel your pain... when we moved into a new subdivision (no fences in the backyard), the neighbour got a dog... it shitted everywhere... we tried to talk to the neighbour, the responds was "it's natural, if you don't like it you can move." we thew the shit back... we even called the city and assume they were fined. but nothing happened. eventually, the fences went up.

the problem now is because they eat outside and have people over (prior to covid), there are mice problems.

not really sure what you can do... potentially put a sign that says "lawn fertilized. poison to dogs"
How does inviting people over create mice problems? Are they leaving tons of food out every day? Trash is more likely a problem. Set out some traps if you have issues.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2020
9 posts
3 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I don't understand from your description why fencing or shrubs wouldn't work. Post a pic of the area along with the dimensions to get better advice. Something like this wouldn't work?
There's no sidewalk and I can only start fencing about 10 feet away from the curb (assuming that the property line is similar to the backyard fencing). Here's a rough idea of how the area looks. I already have shrubs closer to the intersection and the dogs simply go in the grass beside it.
Temp.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3393 posts
2197 upvotes
Montreal
Plant poison ivy along the edge?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4898 posts
3800 upvotes
ideation wrote: There's no sidewalk and I can only start fencing about 10 feet away from the curb (assuming that the property line is similar to the backyard fencing). Here's a rough idea of how the area looks. I already have shrubs closer to the intersection and the dogs simply go in the grass beside it.

Temp.jpg
An actual picture would have much more helpful. Not sure what to make of that and still don't understand why shrubs or fence wouldn't work.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16857 posts
18594 upvotes
Oakville
ideation wrote: There's no sidewalk and I can only start fencing about 10 feet away from the curb (assuming that the property line is similar to the backyard fencing). Here's a rough idea of how the area looks. I already have shrubs closer to the intersection and the dogs simply go in the grass beside it.

Temp.jpg
If you ask me, it looks like the shrubs worked. You just need more of them and moved to the very edge. They shouldn't be high since you have to maintain visibility near the corner for drivers. Maybe try posting a screen shot from google satellite view of your place.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1475 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Ya sometimes owning a nice big corner lot isn’t all it’s cracked up to be
And having inconsiderate neighbours ... no matter where you live
SUCKS!

You might want to read this thread on landscaping ideas for a corner lot

landscape-ideas-corner-lot-2375380/

Lol, or this one ... and be thankful your situation isn’t as bad
neighbours-who-doesnt-respect-your-prop ... o-2378493/
Wow....I just updated my thread, my neighborhood dog walker just keep coming back with no shame...
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1068 posts
487 upvotes
We have the same problem in our area. At least in our area they do it at night or on the main street where no houses face. I do have a dog and have never not picked up. The one time I inadvertently ran out of bags, I went back and picked up.
Personally I would tell the dog owner that you will drop it off on their front door. Or maybe just do it. I have no problem doing this if someone refuses to pick up. No bag ? I will provide one. I will even walk you to the nearest bin so you know where to deposit it.
There is a pest repellent powder you can get at Home depot. Spread on the grass and it is supposed to deter all animals incl raccoons and skunks. I think also spreading a mix of pepper and cayenne might do the trick but you might have to repeat often.
Jan 11, 2007
483 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
I have a corner lot with sidewalks and also need a solution to keep dogs from pooping on my lawn since some owners don't pick up.

I saw someone plant a row of short perennials along their sidewalk. See the pink flowering plants in the pic. Would plants this height deter dogs from going on the lawn? I'm guessing they are up to 18" tall. If I were to plant that close to my sidewalk it would be beyond my property line and on city property. Any rules against that?
Images
  • 20210415_010957.jpeg
Dec 5, 2009
688 posts
681 upvotes
Don’t do a flowerbed, flowers aren’t hardy enough to withstand dog pee, and dogs will still poop on the mulch/dirt. Look into junipers (ie. carpet juniper). They grow low so they won’t block sight lines, and they grow horizontally. Plant them close to the sidewalk and let them grow.