Food & Drink

Egg yolk substitute for ice cream?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 11:53 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
118 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Egg yolk substitute for ice cream?

I just got a delonghi gm6000 ice cream maker and trying a lot of ice cream. So far only the recipes with egg yolks are good.

Here is my dilemma... I can't find egg yolks only or egg yolk powder anywhere and buying a dozen eggs gets expensive.

I tried cornstarch only...it was not great.

I will try arrowroot starch and tapioca starch in the next couple batches.

I read maybe soy lecithin would do what I want.

So my question is how do I reduce cost but still have good flavour, good texture, with limited amount of gumminess?

I am thinking combination of stabilizer and emulsifier.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion or advice.

Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
A dozen eggs sell for under $3 from most of the discount grocery stores such as Walmart, NoFrills, Freshco and Food Basics. It's your best bet, cost wise and the egg yolks flavor wise. I also found that using the 10% "coffee cream" with a tablespoon of skimmed milk powder per cup of cream yields better results than using 35% cream. The half and half is also about $3 a liter at those discount grocery stores. It has to do with the emulsifiers and stabilizers that are part of the ingredient lists in the 10% and the milk powder increases protein content.

If you are going through the work and trouble to make home made, use the best ingredients, and starches don't belong in ice cream, any ice cream.

If you want to make an eggless icecream (philly style), seriouseats has a recipe that I used successfully and to great reviews. I did modify it by adding 2 tablespoon of milk powder:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

It needs the best strawberries you can buy, though, not the imported ones that have been bred for picking green and ripen during travel, but picked ripe and consumed the same or next day types of strawberries.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Jul 15th, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10217 posts
4642 upvotes
Toronto
why is buying a dozen eggs expensive? what are you doing with the whites?
use them in omelettes or make meringues...problem solved.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mer ... eam-torte/

don't cheap out and start using inferior ingredients. makes the whole point of having an ice cream maker moot.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
As others suggested, use the good stuff OP.
Freshco has 30 medium sized eggs for $4.88 this week in their flyer.
You can still put a bit of corn starch or arrowroot powder for good measure.
But even custard based ice creams do get rock hard in the freezer.
Seen a few recipes in older cook books use a bit of gelatin as well.
What size batches are you making anyway?
Isn't it like 5 egg yolks on average to make a quart of ice cream?
You can off course use less or more depending on your recipe.

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/08/ ... 0for%20six.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
118 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I appreciate your responses but not really answering the question...

First off let's start by saying please give suggestions of emulsifiers and stabilizers and quantities (percentages). I am uninterested in using egg yolks if possible but still maintaining similar texture.

Secondly, egg yolks in ice cream give it an off-putting eggy flavor. I do NOT want frozen custard. I do not like it. I want it taste creamy and whatever mixin I use. I want the flavour to burst and not mellowed by the egg flavour. I cannot imagine I am the only one who feels that.

I do like gelato much more so than ice cream for that reason but most recipes I see online call for yolks plus cornstarch.

Yes... Currently using 6 egg yolks which I dwindled down to two and added cornstarch. Still too eggy plus not loving texture. I now would like zero eggs... Period.

Please do not tell me that I am cheapening the ice cream by not using egg yolks... Yes I want to make ice cream cheaper. I don't want to put in $1.50 worth of eggs to make a 'meh' ice cream...if it made it better that is one thing, but it does NOT.

I was hoping to find egg yolk powder as from what I understand have little flavour but cannot find anywhere.

So what I want is a stabilizer and emulsifier that has a neutral flavor with similar texture to egg yolk ice cream... I want to stay between 8-11% fat level (gelato).

So now I am thinking to use soy lecithin as the emulsifier and xanthum gum as the stabilizer. From what I understand each should represent about 0.5% of mix by mass but I would appreciate any input on that.

Any comments on using soy lecithin and xanthum gum? Are there better options?

I am going to attempt a small batch tomorrow anyhow, but would love to hear other options for future trial batches.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11924 posts
4526 upvotes
Saskatoon
I just make it without the custard base...aka Philadelphia style ice cream. A lot less work and I like that it doesn't taste "too" rich. I've been making at least a batch a week all summer.

Mix 1 1/4 cups whole milk with 3/4 c sugar, add 1 3/4 c whipping cream and 1 Tbs vanilla (I use vanilla bean paste). Add in whatever you want when it's almost done churning: chocolate chips, crushed oreos, cookie dough pieces, etc. I've even made black sesame ice cream with this base, just puree 1/2 cup black sesame seeds along with a bit of honey or maple syrup until it comes to a paste (you might need to add a wee bit of oil to it if consistency is too dry).
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I just make it without the custard base...aka Philadelphia style ice cream. A lot less work and I like that it doesn't taste "too" rich. I've been making at least a batch a week all summer.

Mix 1 1/4 cups whole milk with 3/4 c sugar, add 1 3/4 c whipping cream and 1 Tbs vanilla (I use vanilla bean paste). Add in whatever you want when it's almost done churning: chocolate chips, crushed oreos, cookie dough pieces, etc. I've even made black sesame ice cream with this base, just puree 1/2 cup black sesame seeds along with a bit of honey or maple syrup until it comes to a paste (you might need to add a wee bit of oil to it if consistency is too dry).
Try subbing 3 cups of 10% half and half "Coffee cream" for the whole milk / whipping cream combo as is, and you'll end up with a stable base as the coffee cream already has stabilizer and emulsifier in there. You can also use the 18% cream for this, as it will equal the fat content of the milk/cream combo. I found very little difference in the end product, but worth your own experimentation and taste.

If you want to tinker more to make that base stand up to freezer storage, add 3 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder, and sub 1/4 cup of sugar, with 1/4 cup of clear corn syrup. This increases protein content and changes the way sugar absorbs moisture so it doesn't separate from the base as it eventually ices over in the freezer.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10217 posts
4642 upvotes
Toronto
the story first begins with only ice creams with egg yolks are good but they are too expensive
So far only the recipes with egg yolks are good.

Here is my dilemma... I can't find egg yolks only or egg yolk powder anywhere and buying a dozen eggs gets expensive.
then all of a sudden the story changes
Secondly, egg yolks in ice cream give it an off-putting eggy flavor. I do NOT want frozen custard. I do not like it.
:facepalm:
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: the story first begins with only ice creams with egg yolks are good but they are too expensive


then all of a sudden the story changes

:facepalm:
It takes all kinds. I was taken aback by the stance that basically said "thanks, and stop telling me to use egg yolks, I don't like them, and there are surely others that don't", but chose to ignore it. I think there is now plenty of information on egg less ice cream in the various links and recipes. Sure, there is no molecular gastronomy type recipes and directions to use xanthan gum or carrageenan thickeners, but there is lots of info for average person to find as they search and research on their own.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11924 posts
4526 upvotes
Saskatoon
my0gr81 wrote: Try subbing 3 cups of 10% half and half "Coffee cream" for the whole milk / whipping cream combo as is, and you'll end up with a stable base as the coffee cream already has stabilizer and emulsifier in there. You can also use the 18% cream for this, as it will equal the fat content of the milk/cream combo. I found very little difference in the end product, but worth your own experimentation and taste.

If you want to tinker more to make that base stand up to freezer storage, add 3 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder, and sub 1/4 cup of sugar, with 1/4 cup of clear corn syrup. This increases protein content and changes the way sugar absorbs moisture so it doesn't separate from the base as it eventually ices over in the freezer.
Good suggestions. I see coffee cream (18%) on clearance occasionally but never thought to use it for ice cream.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
118 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the trolling and flaming. Hope you feel good about yourselves.

Crazy how a title specifically asking for egg substitute gets hijacked.

I found my answers on a different site without the flaming and the superiority complexes.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
@OP, You are most welcome, please come again.

BTW, it wasn't your title, or even your original request, it was reaction to the replies, that you felt were not what you wanted, and it was all about you.
melon2112 wrote: I appreciate your responses but not really answering the question...

First off let's start by saying please give suggestions of emulsifiers and stabilizers and quantities (percentages). I am uninterested in using egg yolks if possible but still maintaining similar texture.

Secondly, egg yolks in ice cream give it an off-putting eggy flavor. I do NOT want frozen custard. I do not like it. I want it taste creamy and whatever mixin I use. I want the flavour to burst and not mellowed by the egg flavour. I cannot imagine I am the only one who feels that.
Most good ice creams are custard based, and your original question was about cost, and to preserve taste and texture. Just look at the commercial ice cream makers who have millions for R&D, and they haven't been able to perfect a replacement for egg and cream based ice cream. There is a reason Hagen Daaz is so popular and pricey.
I do like gelato much more so than ice cream for that reason but most recipes I see online call for yolks plus cornstarch.

Yes... Currently using 6 egg yolks which I dwindled down to two and added cornstarch. Still too eggy plus not loving texture. I now would like zero eggs... Period.
There it is again, you asked about cost of eggs, and made it about you not liking the texture of them. Should have just said from the beginning, and we wouldn't have provided our humble opinion on where to get eggs for cheaper, and how eggs are still the holy grail for better ice cream.
Please do not tell me that I am cheapening the ice cream by not using egg yolks... Yes I want to make ice cream cheaper. I don't want to put in $1.50 worth of eggs to make a 'meh' ice cream...if it made it better that is one thing, but it does NOT.
No one in this thread said anything about cheapening the ice cream or you being cheap. This is a deals site, we all want to pay less for what we buy. You have an opinion on the texture and taste of egg based ice cream, and it's entirely valid. No need to take offence at the people that offered you free advice, even if you felt it was worth what you paid for it.
I was hoping to find egg yolk powder as from what I understand have little flavour but cannot find anywhere.

So what I want is a stabilizer and emulsifier that has a neutral flavor with similar texture to egg yolk ice cream... I want to stay between 8-11% fat level (gelato).

So now I am thinking to use soy lecithin as the emulsifier and xanthum gum as the stabilizer. From what I understand each should represent about 0.5% of mix by mass but I would appreciate any input on that.

Any comments on using soy lecithin and xanthum gum? Are there better options?

I am going to attempt a small batch tomorrow anyhow, but would love to hear other options for future trial batches.
Now see, while this is about you, it's about you wanting help and suggestions to find something particular. Others are free to help, but I am out of this, as I know how you value anonymous, free advice that does not fit or meet your pre-conceived notion of helpful.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2655 posts
1782 upvotes
London
ShoNuff2 wrote: the story first begins with only ice creams with egg yolks are good but they are too expensive


then all of a sudden the story changes

:facepalm:
melon2112 wrote: Thank you for the trolling and flaming. Hope you feel good about yourselves.

Crazy how a title specifically asking for egg substitute gets hijacked.

I found my answers on a different site without the flaming and the superiority complexes.
It's all on you OP.
I was going to post just what ShoNuff said, and then saw that they summed it up nicely.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: If you want to tinker more to make that base stand up to freezer storage, add 3 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder, and sub 1/4 cup of sugar, with 1/4 cup of clear corn syrup. This increases protein content and changes the way sugar absorbs moisture so it doesn't separate from the base as it eventually ices over in the freezer.
Corn syrup is pretty miraculous and even subbing out a tablespoon of sugar for corn syrup will improve texture.

OP, have you considered psyllium? That and the above may fix your texture problem, even if it has you pooping like a goose.

Top