Home & Garden

Ego Power - All Products De-Listed at Home Depot?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2022 9:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Ego Power - All Products De-Listed at Home Depot?

I noticed last night, all Ego Power products seemed to disappear from the Home Depot Canada website. The search returns nothing.

Here are a few bookmarks that I had lying around. You'll see it says: The item you are looking for may be discontinued or is temporarily unavailable.

5.0 Ah battery

10 Ah battery
Ego Snowblower
Ego Snowblower (bare)

Anyone have any idea why this happened?
- casual gastronomist -
55 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2424 posts
3195 upvotes
West GTA
Lowe's is taking on Ego in the fall so you'll still have access to the line. Home Depot decided to drop them, not enitrely sure why - speculation that it may be from HD wanting to pursue interchangeable batteries and Ego wouldn't work, or that Ego was a difficult partner to work with and wanted HD to take on servicing.
May 9, 2017
113 posts
81 upvotes
grumble wrote: Lowe's is taking on Ego in the fall so you'll still have access to the line.
Issue is we don't have a lot of Lowe's in QC outside of Montréal. Or do you think they will also be available in Réno-Dépôt/Rona?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2011
1135 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote: Lowe's is taking on Ego in the fall so you'll still have access to the line. Home Depot decided to drop them, not enitrely sure why - speculation that it may be from HD wanting to pursue interchangeable batteries and Ego wouldn't work, or that Ego was a difficult partner to work with and wanted HD to take on servicing.
Not sure what kind of interchangeability HD is looking for. All EGO batteries are at 56V which can be used for all EGO tools, unlike Kobalt/Greenworks/SnowJoe bump up their voltage every now and then (40/60/80/100V) making their older tools obsolete. It may be true in US that HD is handling service repair for EGO but I don't think HD Canada handles that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
thunderbolt wrote: Not sure what kind of interchangeability HD is looking for. All EGO batteries are at 56V which can be used for all EGO tools, unlike Kobalt/Greenworks/SnowJoe bump up their voltage every now and then (40/60/80/100V) making their older tools obsolete.
I was also wondering about that. Just speculating here - maybe HD wanted Ego to make its technology interchangeable with some other brand? Honda? As I understand it, Honda batteries are OEM Ego in Europe, and are also much cheaper across the pond...

Edit: According to the article, "The Atlanta-based retail giant said the four remaining cordless options fit their aim to provide interchangeable batteries among products, and collectively make up the vast majority of platforms already owned by its customers."

Are Ryobi, Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee batteries really interchangeable amongst each other? This does not make sense to me...
That said, Ego battery technology is like their crown jewel, and it wouldn't make sense to give up their competitive advantage and ability to distinguish themselves from the competition.
Images
  • honda_battery.jpg
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jul 22nd, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- casual gastronomist -
Dec 13, 2003
480 posts
47 upvotes
I bet I'm not the only one hoping for some clearance deals as HD removes existing stock.
Dec 25, 2012
10 posts
9 upvotes
CALGARY
This sucks. Hopefully Lowe's picks it up but also I hate shopping at Lowe's. Fortunately I've got almost the full set at this point so shouldn't need more.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3519 posts
1711 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe HD wants to start to carry a Ridgid line and EGO would directly compete.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3850 posts
11383 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mystical2003 wrote: I bet I'm not the only one hoping for some clearance deals as HD removes existing stock.
Same, except i just bought the hedge trimmer...
Feb 29, 2016
39 posts
12 upvotes
Strange that Homedepot.com (US) still has EGO products for sale.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11956 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
Jucius Maximus wrote: I
Are Ryobi, Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee batteries really interchangeable amongst each other? This does not make sense to me...
That said, Ego battery technology is like their crown jewel, and it wouldn't make sense to give up their competitive advantage and ability to distinguish themselves from the competition.
They are not interchangeable amongst each other but Ryobi launched their 18v platform in 1999 and the 40v in 2010ish.

My bet is Dewalt is getting hard into lawn mowers or Milwaukee is (that 18v milwaukee trimmer is something else man... can see them making a mower).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6830 posts
540 upvotes
GT'eh
this could spell the end for Ego at least in Canada, I own a lot of their products, but Lowe's has a terrible return policy on power tools. something like 30 days for unopened and once used they can't be returned for any reason, even if there's a defect, have to go through the manufacturer or file a warranty claim.
I agree more tho this decision it happened too soon and too swift, my guess is it wasn't Ego doing, but another competitor who saw Ego as a threat, perhaps rigid, milwuakee or dewalt. I wonder if people who recently bought Ego products from HD recently will be able to return them at this point.
But there is definitely more competition on the battery yard tool segment than when Ego first launched in 2014/15, plus with rumors of Honda making a battery mower and battery tools & Milwuakee dropping a mower as well to their MX line to directly compete with Ego, it doesns't look good.
If they can't compete on price they should on power. Ego is also dropping a quad battery ride on mower and 2 stage SP snow blower next year no word on if will be carried in Canada.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Jerico wrote:
They are not interchangeable amongst each other but Ryobi launched their 18v platform in 1999 and the 40v in 2010ish.

My bet is Dewalt is getting hard into lawn mowers or Milwaukee is (that 18v milwaukee trimmer is something else man... can see them making a mower).
Neovingian wrote: I agree more tho this decision it happened too soon and too swift, my guess is it wasn't Ego doing, but another competitor who saw Ego as a threat, perhaps rigid, milwuakee or dewalt. I wonder if people who recently bought Ego products from HD recently will be able to return them at this point.
But there is definitely more competition on the battery yard tool segment than when Ego first launched in 2014/15, plus with rumors of Honda making a battery mower and battery tools & Milwuakee dropping a mower as well to their MX line to directly compete with Ego, it doesns't look good.
Perhaps the 'interchangeable batteries among products' comment has to do with interchangeable batteries between power tools and lawn & garden tools.
Ego batteries are gigantic, and would not be a good fit for interchanging into a cordless drill, sander, nailgun, etc.

Many people have already invested into batteries from DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc. And perhaps those manufacturers see Ego as a threat to future lawn & garden products.
It sounds like HD wants customers who buy into a battery platform for power tools to come back and buy lawn & garden tools using the same platform.
- casual gastronomist -
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
mystical2003 wrote: I bet I'm not the only one hoping for some clearance deals as HD removes existing stock.
I will be making a trip tomorrow for that purpose (we were procrastinating on buying the trimmer and blower). But if memory serves, there wasn't much (if any) stock at my local store.
May 9, 2017
113 posts
81 upvotes
Just went to check in my local HD, they only had Ryobi in sales, Ego was regular stock/price
Jul 12, 2013
275 posts
183 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
Just get Ego products elsewhere. I am happy with both HD and Ego. Ego's products are simply flawless.... No regrets. Could be as simple as disagreement on profits or cost of doing business.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cokeboy wrote: Just get Ego products elsewhere. I am happy with both HD and Ego. Ego's products are simply flawless.... No regrets. Could be as simple as disagreement on profits or cost of doing business.
I hope you realise that Ego products in Canada are almost exclusively sold at Home Depot.
Hopefully Lowes picks up this brand as suggested earlier.

Though admittedly I also prefer HD over Lowes.
- casual gastronomist -
Jul 12, 2013
275 posts
183 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
Jucius Maximus wrote: I hope you realise that Ego products in Canada are almost exclusively sold at Home Depot.
Hopefully Lowes picks up this brand as suggested earlier.

Though admittedly I also prefer HD over Lowes.
I'm not sure which city you are in... I have bought Ego products from both Home Depot and other vendors. That's why it didn't bother me even if HD doesn't sell Ego products anymore.

If HD is the only place you can get Ego in your area then it is a bummer....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cokeboy wrote: I'm not sure which city you are in... I have bought Ego products from both Home Depot and other vendors. That's why it didn't bother me even if HD doesn't sell Ego products anymore.

If HD is the only place you can get Ego in your area then it is a bummer....
True enough, there are indeed regional dealers. Hopefully more regional dealers will carry it in Southern Ontario.
- casual gastronomist -