• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 1:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes

EGR Intake Manifold cleaning

I want to know, if there is an easier way to clean EGR Intake Manifold. On my 2005 Civic I did clean the throttle plate with CRC throttle body Intake cleaner. Black soot on the edge of throttle plate came out pretty quickly with CRC cleaner and toothbrush .

I have seen some video on youtube video where the squirt CRC cleaner every 2 second burst to clean inside of throttle body. Some say that it would remove error code, many other people say it will pop more error codes. There are some sensors that could get affected. Two people on Civic fourm said, this is bad idea. Someone said the carbon dislodged can get stuck in vital part such as idle air control valve and other sensitive area. Maybe O2 Sensor could get affected. I am also thinking that sludge would form if liquid CRC cleaner is used.

I am not having this problem right know but if it happens in future is there any easier way to clean it. Taking everything apart is costly job.
This is the job I am talking about.

http://www.videomuzik.biz/video/01civic ... 445j3.html
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4436 posts
2931 upvotes
If it is clogged like the video, there is no easy way.
Might as well clean the valves while it's open.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: If it is clogged like the video, there is no easy way.
Might as well clean the valves while it's open.
I am not having this problem but if it does happen in future. Is there a way to prevent it from happening? I have seen you tube video where they spray in liquid such as CRC valve intake cleaner and run it at 2000 RPM. Once the can is empty, the you-tuber let it soak in for an 1 hour or so to loosen carbon deposit then they take it for a spin on highway to probably burn the excess out. Not Civic but other brand of car. Is this a good idea?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1938 posts
2213 upvotes
Safe way is to disassemble and physically clean it out.

If you use chemicals to try to loosen and dissolve it, you have to think of where the deposits are going to end up. They are not going to disappear, they are just going to move somewhere else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
billford wrote: Safe way is to disassemble and physically clean it out.

If you use chemicals to try to loosen and dissolve it, you have to think of where the deposits are going to end up. They are not going to disappear, they are just going to move somewhere else.
This is my thought too. I was hoping for a short-cut, any easy way of doing thing.

I just saw video from another country, where the guy instead of putting in CRC intake cleaner into the throttle plate. He used Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to loosen up carbon. I don't know if he's car would be working afterward. Yes he did figure out PEA.

My throttle plate I relatively is clean, just little bit of soot, easy to clean. But inside the EGR port could be completely different story.