EI Canada / reason to stop-renew

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 7:20 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2021
3 posts

EI Canada / reason to stop-renew

Hi guys

I'm on EI now. I had to fly to my home country to care for my father who had heart attack and will have operation. Dont know how long will it take, probably few months.

Can I stop EI and renew it after come back ? Is it enough good reason?

Also Ive heard that report can be extended for 7 days for certain reasons, does anyone know these reasons? Thanks
6 replies
Nov 23, 2019
55 posts
88 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
You just need to continue to fill in the reports properly and it's not an issue; you just won't be paid for the time you've left the country and weren't available to work.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2021
3 posts
I still need to fil up reports even if Im out of country? For lets say two months?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Quingon wrote: I still need to fil up reports even if Im out of country? For lets say two months?
Yes, the reports ASK if you are out of the country. As @doodle07 said, just fill out the reports accurately.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2414 posts
359 upvotes
If you don't fill out reports your claim will go inactive and then you can reactivate when you come back. But a claim might take up to 4 weeks to reactivate
[OP]
Aug 11, 2021
3 posts
Right now there is like 50 paid weeks. Are they count as paid weeks if I'll be outside and won't get paid ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
Quingon wrote: Right now there is like 50 paid weeks. Are they count as paid weeks if I'll be outside and won't get paid ?
No, it will be push back. But they give you a certain period of time to claim your entitlement (e.g. you have until Jan 2022 to claim it but you come back past Jan 2022, you lose your remaining entitlement. I am not sure now, if it is still the same since they change something during the pandemic).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)