Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 6:47 am
Newbie
Nov 18, 2012
7 posts
COQUITLAM
The adjudicator has already called me and I didn't tell him why I put laid off instead of fired. He asked but I just didn't want to get into detail now im kicking myself that I should have just told him that I was confused as i did not have my ROE when i did the application and I really didn't know why I was let go in the first place. I was not fired for misconduct. It really was a wrongful termination. When you say the adjudicator will talk to me what will he talk to me about?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
The adjudicator needs to gather all sides of the story and come to a conclusion. What did you tell him? Why were you fired/wrongfully terminated? Probably a long story so I understand if you don't want to spill it all out on here. Bottom line, if the adjudicator is missing pertinent information, it's tougher to come to a fair decision. I'd call him back and just say you were confused about all of it and didn't know what to indicate on your application.
Newbie
Oct 10, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
London
I was dismissed from my job for alleged rude behaviour ( was never able to get along with my manager). She had me dismissed
in the first chance she got. I applied for EI and it has been 28 days now(today). There has been no word from EI. All its says on the telephone is its
still in process. I am wondering whats going on and what to do ? Is this normal. Can they reject my claim ? I have not even heard anything from any agent. Pls help!!
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11176 posts
6322 upvotes
Calgary
happyguy2012 wrote: I was dismissed from my job for alleged rude behaviour ( was never able to get along with my manager). She had me dismissed
in the first chance she got. I applied for EI and it has been 28 days now(today). There has been no word from EI. All its says on the telephone is its
still in process. I am wondering whats going on and what to do ? Is this normal. Can they reject my claim ? I have not even heard anything from any agent. Pls help!!
This is normal. And yes they can deny your claim if you have been given warnings about the rude behaviors. An agent will call you to gather facts. If you have voicemail set up and missed their phone calls, they will leave a couple voice mails for you to call back. If you don't call back they will process the application with information available on file. If you don't have voicemail, then they will send you a letter and you will have to respond within 7 or 10 days.
Newbie
Oct 10, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
London
Thanks for the reply. There was never any warning since I have never been rude with anyone. One customer was not happy with our pricing structure. She was desperate for the service and thought I was not offering her a better deal ( I was only doing my job). Customer accused me of being rude and unhelpful. The manager took advantage and dismissed me within an hour. Also, its been 28 days now and no one from EI has called me yet. Is this a good sign ? Also, i have a voice mail machine as well but they have not called me yet to confirm anything. Any thoughts ? thanks
b166er1337 wrote: This is normal. And yes they can deny your claim if you have been given warnings about the rude behaviors. An agent will call you to gather facts. If you have voicemail set up and missed their phone calls, they will leave a couple voice mails for you to call back. If you don't call back they will process the application with information available on file. If you don't have voicemail, then they will send you a letter and you will have to respond within 7 or 10 days.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11176 posts
6322 upvotes
Calgary
happyguy2012 wrote: Thanks for the reply. There was never any warning since I have never been rude with anyone. One customer was not happy with our pricing structure. She was desperate for the service and thought I was not offering her a better deal ( I was only doing my job). Customer accused me of being rude and unhelpful. The manager took advantage and dismissed me within an hour. Also, its been 28 days now and no one from EI has called me yet. Is this a good sign ? Also, i have a voice mail machine as well but they have not called me yet to confirm anything. Any thoughts ? thanks
It's just the regular processing time. If you don't like it or are in dire needs, complain to your MP.
Newbie
Nov 19, 2012
1 posts
VANCOUVER
Hello! I was recently let go from a sales job where I worked a year and a half. I started to miss my quota numbers, but most reps never hit their quota. I was let go with another person on our sales team because the company didn't see value in us sticking around with their shifting focus on other segments of business. Am I eligible for benefits or would I be considered dismissed and unable to claim? Thank you for your help! Been having trouble finding answers.
Newbie
Nov 18, 2012
7 posts
COQUITLAM
So they denied me EI today. Do I need to keep reporting and look for work still?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
outtathepark wrote: Hello! I was recently let go from a sales job where I worked a year and a half. I started to miss my quota numbers, but most reps never hit their quota. I was let go with another person on our sales team because the company didn't see value in us sticking around with their shifting focus on other segments of business. Am I eligible for benefits or would I be considered dismissed and unable to claim? Thank you for your help! Been having trouble finding answers.
Sounds like you just weren't suitable for the job, doesn't seem like misconduct so you should be fine. Apply either way
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
kikiki1919 wrote: So they denied me EI today. Do I need to keep reporting and look for work still?
You won't be able to report, and I'm assuming you should be looking for a job regardless. You can appeal the decision. You should also call the agent that first called you to get a detailed explanation
Newbie
Nov 18, 2012
7 posts
COQUITLAM
I am thinking about starting my own business that is why i probably wont look for work. it's going to take me a few months to get started. He already explained why it was because I did not have enough hours at my job. I won't be appealing the decision.
Newbie
Nov 20, 2012
2 posts
VANCOUVER
I found this site searching for answers and hopefully I can get an idea.
well here is my situation.
I work in a lab that requires some days long hours, 12 usually and sometimes I have had to work 16. usually doing labor work.
The big problem is the boss is located in the UK and we had a supervisor here for a bit but he had to go back to the Philippines for several months due to passport problems. But with only 3 people here and the boss's trying to run things remote control.
I have had to take responsibility for supervisors job and mine.
so sometimes I have 18hr days go home and try and sleep and have to be back 5-6 hours later for another shift, with no over time being offered since we may have an extra day off during the week.
I am being sent to jobs I have no experience and then being yelled at by them on email and phone about mistakes I am making which in turn have started to effect me physically and mentally.
I have lost 15 lbs in a month, developed a bad case of insomnia despite excessive hours and even got prescribed Xanax to help with the stress and anxiety now.
I would think it would return to normally when he returns in February or later. but by then we are to have a lot more contracts and they have no desire to hire more employees.
I am writing this now at 2am yet have been trying to sleep since 830pm because I have to have another phone talk tomorrow.
If this is how its going to be all the time is voluntary leaving justified?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
justme67 wrote: I found this site searching for answers and hopefully I can get an idea.
well here is my situation.
I work in a lab that requires some days long hours, 12 usually and sometimes I have had to work 16. usually doing labor work.
The big problem is the boss is located in the UK and we had a supervisor here for a bit but he had to go back to the Philippines for several months due to passport problems. But with only 3 people here and the boss's trying to run things remote control.
I have had to take responsibility for supervisors job and mine.
so sometimes I have 18hr days go home and try and sleep and have to be back 5-6 hours later for another shift, with no over time being offered since we may have an extra day off during the week.
I am being sent to jobs I have no experience and then being yelled at by them on email and phone about mistakes I am making which in turn have started to effect me physically and mentally.
I have lost 15 lbs in a month, developed a bad case of insomnia despite excessive hours and even got prescribed Xanax to help with the stress and anxiety now.
I would think it would return to normally when he returns in February or later. but by then we are to have a lot more contracts and they have no desire to hire more employees.
I am writing this now at 2am yet have been trying to sleep since 830pm because I have to have another phone talk tomorrow.
If this is how its going to be all the time is voluntary leaving justified?
You must exhaust all reasonable alternatives first. And are you paying EI premiums?
Newbie
Nov 20, 2012
2 posts
VANCOUVER
Yes my pay slip says EI-employee and CPP.
only alternative is we need more people but that wont happen.
I have been searching for a solution but they have the idea if you get a extra day off during the week then 18hours or more days later are ok.
I was happy with this job in the beginning but it has taken an complete 180 now that we are swamped with work and no desire to hire more people. Ive never had to resort to stress pills because of a job before.
Sr. Member
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
I have a question. I am having an issue with my online application, and need to talk to a real person to ask a question lol. How do I do this? All the numbers are the automated system.

I have a small business, so I have to fill in my business number but it won't accept it. It asked for the 9 number code, plus 2 letters and 4 numbers. The first 9 numbers are the business license number, the other 2 are tax code. But I don't have, and have never had anything but the 9 initial numbers because I don't have an GST/HST number (small supplier). So I am stuck in the application.
Newbie
Aug 25, 2012
25 posts
Pickering
b166er1337 wrote: Sure. I mean, your resignation is not finalized by any means. Tomorrow you could hit a lottery and get a brand new pc, and you won't need EI anymore!.
Perhaps i should get a lottery ticket!! But seriously :) , i want to avoid any possible delays in getting paid by ei especially in light of the fact my claim ends, end of december. If you will recall:

- i have not yet resigned p/t job 1 but looks like i will be resigning next week as i have been unable to fix the computer issues i've been having.
- I am starting a new part time job that pays 3x what i was making in the former p/t job on November 26/12 and the hours would conflict so i would have had to resign from p/t job 1 anyways at some point - just sooner now due to the computer issues.
- could i simply resign from p/t job 1 (with cause due to my computer issues i had) but not tell ei i resigned from p/t job 1, just simply report p/t job #2 hours worked - do i need to tell employer 1 i found a better paying pt job and this is also another reason i'm quitting? or just leave it to computer issues...do i have to provide a reason to quit to employer 1?
- what if i didn't officially resign from p/t job 1 if they don't prompt me to resign - could i just simply report the hours worked from p/t job 2? Would p/t job #1 essentially dismiss me if i don't resign officially...can they? Would that be worse than if i resigned officially. My fear though is that ei will then get the ROE from p/t job 1 while i didn't state the job ended.

what do you think? what are the pros and cons to these possible scenarios? mainly i am replacing my first p/t job in essence with p/t job #2 with is more advantageous to me as it pays more and more probability it will go full-time. Gosh i'm driving myself crazy thinking about this ....anxiety provoking for sure!! Am i worrying for nothing given my claim ends end of december? I am still claiming any monies earned so i am staying above board, just don't want any delays in my payments for December! Hope you get where i'm coming from. :confused: Sorry to be rambling.

Thanks again!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
lizbeth1 wrote: Perhaps i should get a lottery ticket!! But seriously :) , i want to avoid any possible delays in getting paid by ei especially in light of the fact my claim ends, end of december. If you will recall:

- i have not yet resigned p/t job 1 but looks like i will be resigning next week as i have been unable to fix the computer issues i've been having.
- I am starting a new part time job that pays 3x what i was making in the former p/t job on November 26/12 and the hours would conflict so i would have had to resign from p/t job 1 anyways at some point - just sooner now due to the computer issues.
- could i simply resign from p/t job 1 (with cause due to my computer issues i had) but not tell ei i resigned from p/t job 1, just simply report p/t job #2 hours worked - do i need to tell employer 1 i found a better paying pt job and this is also another reason i'm quitting? or just leave it to computer issues...do i have to provide a reason to quit to employer 1?
- what if i didn't officially resign from p/t job 1 if they don't prompt me to resign - could i just simply report the hours worked from p/t job 2? Would p/t job #1 essentially dismiss me if i don't resign officially...can they? Would that be worse than if i resigned officially. My fear though is that ei will then get the ROE from p/t job 1 while i didn't state the job ended.

what do you think? what are the pros and cons to these possible scenarios? mainly i am replacing my first p/t job in essence with p/t job #2 with is more advantageous to me as it pays more and more probability it will go full-time. Gosh i'm driving myself crazy thinking about this ....anxiety provoking for sure!! Am i worrying for nothing given my claim ends end of december? I am still claiming any monies earned so i am staying above board, just don't want any delays in my payments for December! Hope you get where i'm coming from. :confused: Sorry to be rambling.

Thanks again!
1) Relax.. lol
2) Quitting a part time job to take another part time job that pays more and has better opportunity should give you no issues, regardless of computer problems or not
3) You should still tell EI you quit. It might place your claim on hold while they review the reason for quitting, but it shouldn't cause any problems long term. It'll be more of a formality
4) You don't need to tell the employer why you're quitting, but it's up to you
5) If you just stopped working for employer 1 without actually resigning, they'd dismiss you with cause - absenteeism or similar. This would screw you over, so definitely don't do that.

Bottom line, if you have another part time job lined up that will pay more and will hopefully lead to full time hours, you're pretty much guaranteed safe passage. If you were leaving a full time job for a part time job, you'd be screwed. But this is part time to part time, so you shouldn't have any issues.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
justme67 wrote: Yes my pay slip says EI-employee and CPP.
only alternative is we need more people but that wont happen.
I have been searching for a solution but they have the idea if you get a extra day off during the week then 18hours or more days later are ok.
I was happy with this job in the beginning but it has taken an complete 180 now that we are swamped with work and no desire to hire more people. Ive never had to resort to stress pills because of a job before.
You need to explore alternatives such as fewer hours, speaking with the employer, taking a leave, working different shifts etc. If you're wanting to take medical "stress" leave, get a doctors note and you should have no problem getting sickness benefits from EI.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
tdu wrote: I have a question. I am having an issue with my online application, and need to talk to a real person to ask a question lol. How do I do this? All the numbers are the automated system.

I have a small business, so I have to fill in my business number but it won't accept it. It asked for the 9 number code, plus 2 letters and 4 numbers. The first 9 numbers are the business license number, the other 2 are tax code. But I don't have, and have never had anything but the 9 initial numbers because I don't have an GST/HST number (small supplier). So I am stuck in the application.
1-800-206-7218.... but you may need to contact CRA too
Newbie
Nov 21, 2012
1 posts
I hope you can advise me. I am currently on sick benefits that are due to run out in a few weeks. My doctor advising me against returning to work. When I tried to call EI, I ended up on hold forever and gave up. What I am wondering is, since my doctor does not feel I am well enough to return to work, will EI extend my sick benefits or will I be made to go on regular EI ??

Top