Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 6:47 am
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
nmbr21 wrote: After speaking with the hospital records department, they informed me that i should state on my next report that i cannot work because of my fracture and E I will contact the hospital if necessary.Is this correct information regarding your experiences. As you know it is imposable to get through to E I by phone, do you think i should follow this advice. Your reply will be appreciated.

Yes definitely. Declare that you are unable to work (report 5 sick days for each week reporting). If you can't reach anyone by phone, head down to your local Service Canada centre and submit the medical documentation along with the request to switch benefits.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
ktt31 wrote: Wondering if I'm eligible to receive OSAP funding while on EI. For the Fall Semester I was taking courses less than 9hours but didn't use OSAP to fund it, however for the upcoming Winter semester I will be taking the same course load and will need OSAP funding. Will this in anyway effect my EI claim? Will my claim be reduced if I got grants and bursaries from the school?

Service Canada only cares if you receive money that arise from employment. If you win the lottery, it won't affect your claim one bit. I don't think OSAP is earnings so it shouldn't affect your claim.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
jjboy wrote: Thank you very much for your quick response.
I still have things that I want to clear up so please correct me if I am wrong.

So, as long as I:
-Submit my claim right after my contract is over
-Speak to to an agent regarding departures and return date
-file the return properly

I shouldn't be losing any weeks right?
So the fact whether I have to leave right after my contract ends is irrlevant? e.g. Two months into collecting my EI payments, I taked an extended leave outside the country for 8 weeks. If I follow the procedures above, I am ok?
I have a friend who went on vacation for a week while he was on EI last year and he had to report to EI that he was out of the country. For that week he didn't get any benefits and he also didn't get an extra week of payment. I would like to know why there is a difference.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

It is irrelevant whether you are out of Canada at the beginning, middle or end of your claim. No benefit is payable.
You have 52 weeks to collect your benefits; this is called Benefit Period.

Let's put it this way. Assuming your claim starts March 1, 2011 and you are entitled to 42 weeks of benefits.
1) If you leave Canada for 8 weeks during your benefit period, you still get to collect the entire 42 weeks of benefits if you can't find a job. (42+8 weeks of disentitlement for out of Canada + 2 weeks waiting period).
2) If you leave Canada for 18 weeks during the BP, the max you can get is 32 weeks of benefits despite you are entitled to 42 weeks. (52 - 2 weeks WP - 18 weeks disentitlement =32).

There are very few instance in which one's benefit period can be extended. The most common reason benefit period extension is because someone is jailed or incarcerated. I bet you don't want it. :razz:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2005
1283 posts
71 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: It is irrelevant whether you are out of Canada at the beginning, middle or end of your claim. No benefit is payable.
You have 52 weeks to collect your benefits; this is called Benefit Period.

Let's put it this way. Assuming your claim starts March 1, 2011 and you are entitled to 42 weeks of benefits.
1) If you leave Canada for 8 weeks during your benefit period, you still get to collect the entire 42 weeks of benefits if you can't find a job. (42+8 weeks of disentitlement for out of Canada + 2 weeks waiting period).
2) If you leave Canada for 18 weeks during the BP, the max you can get is 32 weeks of benefits despite you are entitled to 42 weeks. (52 - 2 weeks WP - 18 weeks disentitlement =32).

There are very few instance in which one's benefit period can be extended. The most common reason benefit period extension is because someone is jailed or incarcerated. I bet you don't want it. :razz:

Great info thanks.

I guess for the odd short trips where you just leave the country for a week or less, are you still able to preserve that time by telling them you are out of the country? ( ie. is that a minimum length) The reason I asked is that my friend did miss a week of benefits because he was away. He was within 52 weeks and Service Canada didn't let him claim that week at a late date.

Lastly if I tell them in advance that I will be gone for 8 weeks, but instead I come back in 6 or 10 weeks, I just need to inform Service Canada regarding the change right?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2008
723 posts
13 upvotes
Hi OP,

This is regarding benefits while traveling. I have a friend on EI who has dual citizenships and dual passports for Canada and the UK. He is currently on EI and is going to the UK for a few weeks soon. He thinks he can still get paid EI benefits if he travels using his British passport, instead of his Cdn passport - he says that this would apparently not be recorded in the Cdn govt system. So he is essentially cheating the system - he is going to vacation in the UK instead of job hunt while collecting EI, and will not declare to EI that he is out of the country.

Will he be caught if he leaves Cda using his British passport?

I think it's wrong to do so, and I'm assuming that if he gets caught, obviously the penalty will outweigh any benefit of this "free" vacation he is taking.
Newbie
Jul 20, 2010
38 posts
27 upvotes
A question about doing an appeal in regards to a recent denial for my wife's claim for EI. She just received a letter from Service Canada denying her claim, because she's off 6hrs to qualify according to the unemployment rate in the GTA.

Basically, she was on mat leave last year and came back to work in July this year and unfortunately, the company she worked for closed at the end of October. All in all, she accumulated 624hrs during that period and the minimum when she called was 595hrs. Even at this moment, the minimum to qualify is 595hrs, however for the period of Oct. 5 to Nov. 5, 2011, the minimum jumped up to 630hrs for that period. Needless to say that it sucked to received the letter of denial just because of the measly 6hrs less to qualify.

Is it worth it for my wife to appeal since it's really a win if she gets approve and oh well, if she doesn't. It's worth the extra effort to appeal if you ask me if there's a great chance that the decision will go her way. How would she appeal? Is the form found here: www.ei-ae.gc.ca enough to do the appeal and if you have any experience with appeals, what is the chance that any decision outcome after the appeal would be favourable for my wife. Thanks in advance for any response you might have. Merry Christmas....
Newbie
Nov 17, 2011
3 posts
MONTRÉAL
So I am currently on EI. My partner gave me a few hundred bucks because I was having a hard time with my bills. Do I need to report that income since it is in no way employment related? Am I only supposed to report employment income? thanks
Newbie
Dec 20, 2011
1 posts
Hello, I get the fact that you have to report your time of leave from Canada to EI office. Question is would EI extend the benefits for weeks for days that person has declared away from Canada? for instance the below example would ei give this guy another week at the end! since he has not received any money for this week would ei extend his benefit another week since he is entitled to receive his maximum amount of weeks (e.g. 40)

Thank you
-------------------------
Originally Posted by desm0nd
Hello,

My gf's parents invited me on vacation from Jan 6th to 12th in Mexico..

From what I have researched, I am allowed to go, I just need to let EI know the exact days I am gone, in which I will not receive my benefits for those days.

Is this correct?
---------------------------
Thanks,
You got it.

Remember, it is important is to declare # of days "not available" on your claimant's report, as well as that you were out of Canada. For example, for the week of Jan 1st, declare 1 day unavailable, in addition to 4 unavailable days for the subsequent week. Call the call centre soon afterward (as instructed at the end of your report), and declare your departure and return date.

The reason being is that if you only declare that you were out of Canada (while still declaring available on your report), an agent will have to look into your file and decide whether to allow you benefits. Since you are on vacation, there is not a chance in hell an exemption will be granted. Your benefits will not be payable while the decision is pending. I've seen claimant whose benefits was put on hold for two months simply because he was out of Canada for a couple days. This is a seemingly innocent procedural matter, but does have profound effect if you are short on funds.
Newbie
Dec 21, 2011
6 posts
2 weeks ago I was let go from my job because I didnt fit with the company
supposedly...after working there for 1.5 years, it was pretty shocking and
really unexpected. When they gave me my ROE it said "k"
I wasnt really sure how to apply as this was my first time but did it right away
I had to go into service canada because I wasnt really sure how to classify the K
the lady then told me just to select shortage of work/lay off because it wasnt dismissal on my roe
and I never did anything wrong. What are my chances of getting ei?
Any help would be great,
Thanks! :confused:
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
jjboy wrote: Lastly if I tell them in advance that I will be gone for 8 weeks, but instead I come back in 6 or 10 weeks, I just need to inform Service Canada regarding the change right?

yes.
25000dividends wrote: So I am currently on EI. My partner gave me a few hundred bucks because I was having a hard time with my bills. Do I need to report that income since it is in no way employment related? Am I only supposed to report employment income? thanks

You don't have to report it because the earning is not employment related.

Shawnny89 wrote: Hello, I get the fact that you have to report your time of leave from Canada to EI office. Question is would EI extend the benefits for weeks for days that person has declared away from Canada? for instance the below example would ei give this guy another week at the end! since he has not received any money for this week would ei extend his benefit another week since he is entitled to receive his maximum amount of weeks (e.g. 40)

Thank you

Refer to post 204.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
redface2010 wrote: A question about doing an appeal in regards to a recent denial for my wife's claim for EI. She just received a letter from Service Canada denying her claim, because she's off 6hrs to qualify according to the unemployment rate in the GTA.

Basically, she was on mat leave last year and came back to work in July this year and unfortunately, the company she worked for closed at the end of October. All in all, she accumulated 624hrs during that period and the minimum when she called was 595hrs. Even at this moment, the minimum to qualify is 595hrs, however for the period of Oct. 5 to Nov. 5, 2011, the minimum jumped up to 630hrs for that period. Needless to say that it sucked to received the letter of denial just because of the measly 6hrs less to qualify.

Is it worth it for my wife to appeal since it's really a win if she gets approve and oh well, if she doesn't. It's worth the extra effort to appeal if you ask me if there's a great chance that the decision will go her way. How would she appeal? Is the form found here: www.ei-ae.gc.ca enough to do the appeal and if you have any experience with appeals, what is the chance that any decision outcome after the appeal would be favourable for my wife. Thanks in advance for any response you might have. Merry Christmas....

Unfortunately, this is a black and white situation. Your wife's claim is not denied; she just doesn't have enough hours to qualify. Appeal this decision is fruitless because there is no human intervention. The unemployment rate dipped in GTA and therefore the entrance requirement jumped 35 hours; I believe the stat was updated monthly.

As a former Payment Service Officer, it sucked to send a letter informing a claimant he/she is 1 hour short, but there is nothing we can do to approve it.

The only remote way she can qualify is to antedate her claim to the week of Oct 30 (assuming the VER was 595 hours). What was her last day of work?
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
singerndanceextreme wrote: 2 weeks ago I was let go from my job because I didnt fit with the company
supposedly...after working there for 1.5 years, it was pretty shocking and
really unexpected. When they gave me my ROE it said "k"
I wasnt really sure how to apply as this was my first time but did it right away
I had to go into service canada because I wasnt really sure how to classify the K
the lady then told me just to select shortage of work/lay off because it wasnt dismissal on my roe
and I never did anything wrong. What are my chances of getting ei?
Any help would be great,
Thanks! :confused:
The RFS is K-other, an agent will contact the employer to verify why you were dismissed. As long as no misconduct is proven, you should qualify for EI benefits. However, it may take a couple month before your claim is processed.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
[QUOTE]Hey!

I got dismissed from my job on Nov 1st . On Nov 10th I started a new job. Between these time the 1st and the 10th I went to the EI office and applied for EI.

Now that I am working in the current position, whats gonna happen with my EI claim?

For a long time I was worried I would not get EI and this is the reason I went with the first thing that I got. I didnt know what benefits are avaialble at EI so I thought if I had a job it would be beneficial, but I hate jumping in the first thing that comes to me!

Currently, the work that I found is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away and it pays pretty low. Around 27K to start. I got paid 42K in the last position. I wanted to look for something else, but because I am working fulltime its hard to apply to other positions or even get interviewed because your currently working somewhere and you cant take time off work, especially in the beginning.

Im also afraid that I made a mistake with accepting the offer for work in this current location. I mean, the drive + gas and pay would not be worth it. I heard that EI pays like 24K more...I saw that after taxes I get around 20K...so wouldnt it be better if I stay on EI and look for something better?

What about waiting it out and holding EI for a little while and then in another 3 months I would go back to EI and claim what I did in November? would they allow me to do it?

I just feel a bit pinch.... Please help [/QUOTE]

First of all, the max EI rate is $468/week and the max entitlement weeks is 40-42 in GTA. Your benefit rate, if approved, will be close to maximum, but it's nowhere close to 24k/yr. Now that you started a new job, you should report that on your claimant's report.

Since you were dismissed, what was the reason for dismissal? Was it due to unsuitability or your own misconduct? Has a decision been made?

The issue here is that you accepted a job which pays little and the location is quite far. Unfortunately, if you want to go back on EI, you have to show just cause for quitting the current job. It is always a hard question for people on EI (myself included) whether to accept a job simply because it is offered to you. Unfortunately, once you accept the job offer and start working, regardless the duration of the job, you will have to show just cause for quitting if the new job turn out to be crap. In your case, it is the low pay and long commute. Quitting because of the low wage is definitely NOT just cause because you agreed to it. It's not like the employer slashed your salary from $25/hr to $15hr. Quitting for long commute is more plausible, but again, 1 hour 15 commute is not that unreasonable. The jurisprudence is clear that commuting a distance to one’s job, even one hour’s commuting time, is not a reason to quit a job.

I honestly feel for your predicament. However, EI is not an entitlement program; it's a last-ditch insurance program. Keep looking for a better job and hopefully you will land one soon. Best of luck.
Jr. Member
Jul 19, 2005
147 posts
62 upvotes
singerndanceextreme wrote: 2 weeks ago I was let go from my job because I didnt fit with the company
supposedly...after working there for 1.5 years, it was pretty shocking and
really unexpected. When they gave me my ROE it said "k"
I wasnt really sure how to apply as this was my first time but did it right away
I had to go into service canada because I wasnt really sure how to classify the K
the lady then told me just to select shortage of work/lay off because it wasnt dismissal on my roe
and I never did anything wrong. What are my chances of getting ei?
Any help would be great,
Thanks! :confused:


b166er1337 wrote: The RFS is K-other, an agent will contact the employer to verify why you were dismissed. As long as no misconduct is proven, you should qualify for EI benefits. However, it may take a couple month before your claim is processed.

I'm in the same situation (except I got a M) and my claim just got processed and approved today(took exactly 1 month). I think you're fine and like b166er1337 said, as long as you didn't commit misconducts like insubordination or anything illegal you're fine.
Banned
Nov 23, 2006
748 posts
45 upvotes
Hi, do you know what's the best time to call service canada? My wife applied for sick leave back in mid November and she still hasn't gotten any update on her application. She's tried calling a few times these past few days but the system says they are so busy that it just hangs up on her.
Newbie
Jul 20, 2010
38 posts
27 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: Unfortunately, this is a black and white situation. Your wife's claim is not denied; she just doesn't have enough hours to qualify. Appeal this decision is fruitless because there is no human intervention. The unemployment rate dipped in GTA and therefore the entrance requirement jumped 35 hours; I believe the stat was updated monthly.

As a former Payment Service Officer, it sucked to send a letter informing a claimant he/she is 1 hour short, but there is nothing we can do to approve it.

The only remote way she can qualify is to antedate her claim to the week of Oct 30 (assuming the VER was 595 hours). What was her last day of work?


Thank you very much for your response. Her official last day of work was Oct. 28, 2011. What is "antedate" her claim and how to proceed with it? Can she reapply?
One more thing, if she happens to find temporary work and then let go with ROE, can she reapply including hours she already had from previous job? Thanks in advance.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
alamshahid wrote: Hi, do you know what's the best time to call service canada? My wife applied for sick leave back in mid November and she still hasn't gotten any update on her application. She's tried calling a few times these past few days but the system says they are so busy that it just hangs up on her.

It's based on your luck. I called at 8:35 numerous times (call centre opens at 8:30) and not once I can get through. It is like this throughout the day.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
redface2010 wrote: Thank you very much for your response. Her official last day of work was Oct. 28, 2011. What is "antedate" her claim and how to proceed with it? Can she reapply?
One more thing, if she happens to find temporary work and then let go with ROE, can she reapply including hours she already had from previous job? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what the entrance requirement was for October for GTA. Your wife can totally get a temporary assignment to bump her over the 630 hr threshold. It is much easier than appealing and/or applying for antedate. Send me a PM and I will give you some additional info.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
11172 posts
6309 upvotes
Calgary
Latest article from the Globe: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le2284731/

[QUOTE]In October of 2007, there were 181,931 people waiting for their claims to be processed, according to documents obtained by The Globe and Mail using federal Access to Information legislation. By October of this year, that number had climbed to 360,481 – and according to past seasonal trends, is likely to be higher now.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The result has been a system in turmoil, as documented in a series of Globe stories over the past two months. Unemployed people are unable to get through by telephone to find out what is delaying their benefits. The newly released documents reveal wild fluctuations in temporary staff at Service Canada’s call centres where the phone lines as so jammed that just one in three calls is answered.[/QUOTE]
Newbie
Jul 9, 2010
76 posts
Hi there, I am currently working but will be laid off on Jan. 9th to go to school in which case I will be getting EI. I received a letter with an access code on it but misplaced it, I'll be going to school with a coworker would his code be the same?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)