Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 9:40 pm
Dec 8, 2017
113 posts
38 upvotes
If you work on Monday go on EI sickness benefits on Tuesday, do you then you serve a week waiting period the following week?
Would that then mean you would be entitled to your first week of benefits after 2 weeks?
Thanks so much
Jul 20, 2013
181 posts
68 upvotes
was just let go of my job due to performance and disagreement with upper management. Do I qualify for EI? and when should I apply. I was told to leave immediately and expect 2 weeks of pay as severance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6690 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
kingofkingz wrote: was just let go of my job due to performance and disagreement with upper management. Do I qualify for EI? and when should I apply. I was told to leave immediately and expect 2 weeks of pay as severance.
Without any other details, its hard to tell wait for them to send ROE, then go from there.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6873 posts
1299 upvotes
Scarborough
If ei payment issued Nov 1st (sunday, according to service canada account), when should funds be deposited in bank account?
How many days it takes for simplii to get posted to account?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9483 posts
1917 upvotes
Edmonton
apnayloags wrote: If ei payment issued Nov 1st (sunday, according to service canada account), when should funds be deposited in bank account?
How many days it takes for simplii to get posted to account?
Likely tomorrow
Nov 17, 2013
894 posts
149 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Hi there

left my work to stay home with my 3 young children after schools and daycare shutdown months ago. received cerb through service canada portal since end of april till early october when notified that was my last cerb payment. kids back in daycare and school since sept; daycare fee's and bills have to be paid. still unemployed not finding work.
Do I simply continue reporting to receive EI now? haven't done a report since cerb ending statement (3-4 weeks now). Haven't received a payment in 3-4 weeks.
o Covid cases are skyrocketing in our provinces (Mb). People are calling for full lock down. My 7 year old was given option for remote learning for 2 weeks or more to increase social distancing at his school. We took it.
Do I apply for CRCB? CRB? What if daycare close again, do I apply for those two again?
or Simply fill out another unemployment report for ei? Is EI longer than 26 weeks?
thanks
Jun 27, 2019
96 posts
33 upvotes
Bumping this question

Question regarding collecting EI during reduced hours from employer.

Already have enough insurable hours to file a claim.

Hours at current employer are expected to be reduced from full time to part time. Would I be able to file a claim if hours are reduced down to part time hours? (Reduction not related to Covid) ...Do I have to be without work for 7 consecutive days before I can then file a claim?
Nov 4, 2020
1 posts
Hi, I have question about reactivating EI. I have been in strange situation,

1) Originally, I started as Regular Benefit beck in Jan 2020.
2)then because I volunteered to take covide test and isolated 10 days I switched to Sick Benefit I was told by a service Canada agent.
3) I was getting very little amount from sick benefit compare to regular benefit.
4) I got a job and my shift became full-time hours during busy month of probably not even two months at my current work and when I gave call to Service Canada because I am not properly getting EI payment and agent told me that I have full time hours. I reassured with my employer about my shift then I stop because the agent told me that I stop while full-time and then reactivate when I have less hours at my work so I did what the agent said.
5) But right at this moment 11/5/2020 I have about 20 hrs give or take. Therefore, I reactivated EI except I switched to Regular Benefit because I no longer sick
6)I am currently waiting Service Canada to approve my reactivation which takes 28 days. I am in 14 days for waiting.

I am concern how likely Service Canada will reject my request? I was told by an agent in order to qualify I don't work for 7 days? I was also suggested to apply Canada Recovery Benefit so I tried to apply but I was rejected. I wonder I will be approved?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9483 posts
1917 upvotes
Edmonton
Persistantcreditbuilder wrote: Bumping this question

Question regarding collecting EI during reduced hours from employer.

Already have enough insurable hours to file a claim.

Hours at current employer are expected to be reduced from full time to part time. Would I be able to file a claim if hours are reduced down to part time hours? (Reduction not related to Covid) ...Do I have to be without work for 7 consecutive days before I can then file a claim?
You need to have an interruption of earnings, not reduced hours. 7 consecutive days of no work or earnings
Nov 7, 2020
1 posts
Hi

I got layed off the beginning of nov 2020 i did my
Application for ei and they reactivated my old claim
Which had 6 weeks left. Now i did my one week and did a one week report but the day i did my report was the end date of my claim. Do i have to reapply?
Sep 21, 2015
145 posts
36 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hello, I applied for ei a month ago and its still under review, I've been doing the online reports all this time. They have my ROE already. Anything I need to do on my front? thanks!
Mar 6, 2010
455 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
Can someone please clarify the Impact of severance package on EI. Lets say someone makes $5000/month and gets laid off. How will one time lump sum payment of $25000 affect his EI eligibility, duration and amount of payment?
Thank you.
Nov 27, 2016
12 posts
2 upvotes
luking wrote: Can someone please clarify the Impact of severance package on EI. Lets say someone makes $5000/month and gets laid off. How will one time lump sum payment of $25000 affect his EI eligibility, duration and amount of payment?
Thank you.
In this case, you would not start collecting until approximatly 5 months down the road. Keep in mind if you do get laid off, you must apply for EI. If you are/were making 5000 m/gross - you would qualify for the maximum which is currently around 570.00 /week gross. Keep in mind that this amount is taxable.
Jul 18, 2011
119 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Hello, would like to clarify how will my maternity leave EI be paid if I'm on EI right now.

I am on EI now for 45 weeks as I was laid off since Jun 2020. My current claim expires on Sept 2021. Say I need to claim Mat Leave starting Aug 2021, will I still get paid by EI for Mat leave? I understand Maternal + Parental leaves are 50 weeks long, will I have to work the 600 hours again before get the EI for mat? Thanks in advance for any info.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9483 posts
1917 upvotes
Edmonton
girl9394 wrote: Hello, would like to clarify how will my maternity leave EI be paid if I'm on EI right now.

I am on EI now for 45 weeks as I was laid off since Jun 2020. My current claim expires on Sept 2021. Say I need to claim Mat Leave starting Aug 2021, will I still get paid by EI for Mat leave? I understand Maternal + Parental leaves are 50 weeks long, will I have to work the 600 hours again before get the EI for mat? Thanks in advance for any info.
Info here