Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 6:47 am
Mar 18, 2015
6 posts
Westmount, QC
Hi, this is my first time applying for ei regular benefits. My contract at the place I work expired and I don't want to work back at that place as I am overqualified for it and I had to work through manpower to work at that place. So instead of 24 an hour I was getting 17 because of manpower's cut..

Upon applying for the first time for ei and jobsearching again, I got a call from ei and they want me to seek employment through manpower again. Don't I have the right to refuse for seeking employment in manpower? Since I don't want to deal with the pointless wage cuts and useless support from manpower. For example, manpower employees were treated like feces Where I just finished my contract with and manpower didn't even help resolve the issue. The list goes on. I have a diploma in mechanical engineering if that helps you possibly help more effectively.

If I use linked in, indeed, Craigslist and monster to find jobs, don't I have the right to refuse service Canada's request of me having to ask manpower for employment as I have a lot of bad experiences with them through that last job. I'd honestly rather not get ei at all in that case.. Please help resolve this issue.

I greatly appreciate any advice and solution.(I am in Canada, BC. If that helps to know)

Best regards.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
Niteserpent wrote: Hi, this is my first time applying for ei regular benefits. My contract at the place I work expired and I don't want to work back at that place as I am overqualified for it and I had to work through manpower to work at that place. So instead of 24 an hour I was getting 17 because of manpower's cut..

Upon applying for the first time for ei and jobsearching again, I got a call from ei and they want me to seek employment through manpower again. Don't I have the right to refuse for seeking employment in manpower? Since I don't want to deal with the pointless wage cuts and useless support from manpower. For example, manpower employees were treated like feces Where I just finished my contract with and manpower didn't even help resolve the issue. The list goes on. I have a diploma in mechanical engineering if that helps you possibly help more effectively.

If I use linked in, indeed, Craigslist and monster to find jobs, don't I have the right to refuse service Canada's request of me having to ask manpower for employment as I have a lot of bad experiences with them through that last job. I'd honestly rather not get ei at all in that case.. Please help resolve this issue.

I greatly appreciate any advice and solution.(I am in Canada, BC. If that helps to know)

Best regards.
You're required to look for work in an occupation similar to what you've worked. Doesn't matter what your schooling is. It's not like you need to look at the exact same agency, but it doesn't make sense not to
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
anyasok wrote: What if I get a temporary job which the employer renews every 3 months (so its technically a contract although not in the traditional contractor sense) and the pay+hours would equal a full-time pay, what happens to my EI claim? Would I have to close the current one and reopen it if they decide NOT to renew the contract down the road? Or would I have to open a new claim based on the insurable hours I would have accumulated by then?

And if I don't have enough insurable hours for opening a new claim, could I then go back to the old claim?
Declare full time. Claim shuts off. If you stop working, reactivate it. Once that claim runs out apply for a brand new claim.
Feb 11, 2012
962 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
clseea wrote: Declare full time. Claim shuts off. If you stop working, reactivate it. Once that claim runs out apply for a brand new claim.
Are they going to allow that? If I declare full-time, should i then tell them that there is no guarantee that my contract would be extended?
Get educated on how the world needs to work with the Venus Project
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
11175 posts
6321 upvotes
Calgary
anyasok wrote: Are they going to allow that? If I declare full-time, should i then tell them that there is no guarantee that my contract would be extended?
It doesn't matter. Happens all the time. If the job doesn't work out, just reactivate the dormant claim.
Mar 21, 2015
10 posts
Winnipeg
i am on ei sick benefits, if i go back to school will it affect my ei? and will i be able to continue with regular benefits after my sick benefits?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
lj0612 wrote: i am on ei sick benefits, if i go back to school will it affect my ei? and will i be able to continue with regular benefits after my sick benefits?
Most likely. You're being paid to recover, not go to school.
Apr 22, 2015
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey there,

I just want to say thank you again for your time.

We noticed there have been cases where someone voluntary discloses before an investigation has started, however they were still penalized? According to the voluntary disclosure program, it is a policy and not a requirement? From your experience, what have you seen? I think a lot of people on this thread are on the same boat as my friend, however no one wants to come forward because it seems like the program is more of a trap.

Have you heard about cases where the penalty was NOT assigned after voluntary disclosing? What do you recommend when coming forward and disclosing so there are no penalties (assuming the fact the investigation has not started)

Thanks again!
Mar 18, 2015
6 posts
Westmount, QC
please help by directly answering my question, i didn't pick up on any subtle answers if there were any :(

Basically I don't want to work for the same agency (manpower) as stated earlier, they are terrible. We get treated as if we aren't part of the company, contract, cut wages because manpower takes a huge cut from my wage, no opportunity to grow within the company unless the company is willing to pay a couple of grand to buy your contract, i will technically not be working for my company I applied to but for manpower and so many other reasons.

My question was would I be able to still be eligible for regular ei if i refuse to apply to manpower like agencies because they take a cut. I am proficient to get a job by my own hands without some middleman in between taking my wages. I don't need ei for long, just till I find another job.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
disneycharacter321 wrote: Hey there,

I just want to say thank you again for your time.

We noticed there have been cases where someone voluntary discloses before an investigation has started, however they were still penalized? According to the voluntary disclosure program, it is a policy and not a requirement? From your experience, what have you seen? I think a lot of people on this thread are on the same boat as my friend, however no one wants to come forward because it seems like the program is more of a trap.

Have you heard about cases where the penalty was NOT assigned after voluntary disclosing? What do you recommend when coming forward and disclosing so there are no penalties (assuming the fact the investigation has not started)

Thanks again!
Penalties vary case by case. It really depends on each situation. If you voluntarily disclose you screwed up one report and catch it right away, it's an honest mistake. If you voluntarily disclose 20 reports being wrong after a year, different story.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
Niteserpent wrote: please help by directly answering my question, i didn't pick up on any subtle answers if there were any :(

Basically I don't want to work for the same agency (manpower) as stated earlier, they are terrible. We get treated as if we aren't part of the company, contract, cut wages because manpower takes a huge cut from my wage, no opportunity to grow within the company unless the company is willing to pay a couple of grand to buy your contract, i will technically not be working for my company I applied to but for manpower and so many other reasons.

My question was would I be able to still be eligible for regular ei if i refuse to apply to manpower like agencies because they take a cut. I am proficient to get a job by my own hands without some middleman in between taking my wages. I don't need ei for long, just till I find another job.
Unless you're an employee of manpower, you don't need to go back to them specifically. You do need to be looking for similar work though.

No one ever needs EI for long.... Until they do
May 5, 2012
361 posts
148 upvotes
CALGARY
I have a few more questions:

1) If I travel out of Canada and said Unavailable for work and outside Canada, I will just postpone the payment rather than lose 1 week right?

2) The EI people finally made a decision but my old employer still has not given me my bonus. When I do get the bonus and they issue me a new ROE, do I still have to put that in my reports?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
starbelow wrote: I have a few more questions:

1) If I travel out of Canada and said Unavailable for work and outside Canada, I will just postpone the payment rather than lose 1 week right?

2) The EI people finally made a decision but my old employer still has not given me my bonus. When I do get the bonus and they issue me a new ROE, do I still have to put that in my reports?

Thanks!
1. Right. Provided you still have time left in your benefit period.
2. If it's on the ROE, no.
Apr 27, 2015
2 posts
Baddeck, NS
I just finished my 2 week waiting period and will be reporting on the 3rd week this Friday. Viewing my claim online, I now see that my benifit rate and other info about my claim is there. However there is a message stating that they have received new info on my claim and are working on a decision. Can I consider myself more or less approved when the claim info appears there?
An old employer which I hadn't worked for for close to a year accidentally sent a new Roe saying I quit in January, however I was laid off in May of 2014. That since has been fixed, the roe is online and I had no claim information up until a few days after that was fixed. So I'm assuming that's the "new information", but I'm stressing that this means there will be further delays in my claim.
Mar 18, 2015
6 posts
Westmount, QC
clseea wrote: Penalties vary case by case. It really depends on each situation. If you voluntarily disclose you screwed up one report and catch it right away, it's an honest mistake. If you voluntarily disclose 20 reports being wrong after a year, different story.
Thanks for the help. so while I am job hunting, I have the right to refuse to ask manpower for employment without losing my ei benefits? I am wondering because the ei people called me and said that I ask manpower for work related to my field, but I don't want to work for them for the various reasons mentioned. It shouldn't cancel my ei right?

Thanks in advanced.
Banned
Apr 8, 2015
345 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver, ON
b166er1337 wrote: Trust me it is always much more difficult to cough up money a few years down the road. And there will be a penalty. He is an adult so he is free to make his own choice.

And 10000 posts in this thread. Amazing.
Why would it take so long for them to finally find out he's been over-paid for a few weeks, surely should they see it come up in there system when he starts working...

He is worried now as he has been paid around $2000 for 2 months of work even though he has been employed for 2 full months full time.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
11175 posts
6321 upvotes
Calgary
Vmmack wrote: I just finished my 2 week waiting period and will be reporting on the 3rd week this Friday. Viewing my claim online, I now see that my benifit rate and other info about my claim is there. However there is a message stating that they have received new info on my claim and are working on a decision. Can I consider myself more or less approved when the claim info appears there?
An old employer which I hadn't worked for for close to a year accidentally sent a new Roe saying I quit in January, however I was laid off in May of 2014. That since has been fixed, the roe is online and I had no claim information up until a few days after that was fixed. So I'm assuming that's the "new information", but I'm stressing that this means there will be further delays in my claim.
Potentially yes. But if the amended ROE shows the correct information, it shouldn't cause other issues.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
11175 posts
6321 upvotes
Calgary
jamesdavid3 wrote: Why would it take so long for them to finally find out he's been over-paid for a few weeks, surely should they see it come up in there system when he starts working...

He is worried now as he has been paid around $2000 for 2 months of work even though he has been employed for 2 full months full time.
Don't ask me. Took them almost two years to upgrade IE6 to IE8. Technology at Federal government moves at snail's pace.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)