Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Jul 3, 2012
5 posts
TORONTO
Hi,
I got laid off (store closure) on June 20th 2012 (last day of work) and i just got my ROE today and did the EI Online. I worked there for 2 1/2 years and i haven't had a job since i got laid off. I'm i eligible for E.I? Also, I herd of Second Career and it helps people that got laid off go back to school and get skills needed for a better job. I guess my other question is can i apply for this second career and have E.I? Thanks in advance for all your help!!! :D
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
Tekno1234 wrote: Hi,
I got laid off (store closure) on June 20th 2012 (last day of work) and i just got my ROE today and did the EI Online. I worked there for 2 1/2 years and i haven't had a job since i got laid off. I'm i eligible for E.I? Also, I herd of Second Career and it helps people that got laid off go back to school and get skills needed for a better job. I guess my other question is can i apply for this second career and have E.I? Thanks in advance for all your help!!! :D
Visit your local SC office and inquire in person. You should have no problem qualifying regular EI
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
lookingforaplacetohappen wrote: Hi there,

First of all, thank you for giving us your time and expertise. I've recently applied, however I do not qualify for benefits because I am 1 hr short. A ( 100 extra hours will be needed to qualify for the next two claims or five years, whichever comes first ) penalty was imposed in 2010 for a 2007 violation ( declared less earnings than actual ... an honest mistake, not an intentional one). If we wiggle the 52 week snapshot for a qualifying period: it will not work. The closest we can get is the 1 hr short scenario.
I'm thinking that there's no point in appealing this: for it is not a " decision " ... that I do not have enough hours to qualify. What do you think?
I'm thinking about appealing the penalty decision ... but, it is 2 years later ( not within 30 days ), and in all honesty: I believe this penalty is invaluable for it has taught me a significant lesson ( which is, by the way, that it's important to be diligent - after all, E.I. is fair and diligent to me, isn't it? and that it's my OBLIGATION to take the time to figure out exactly what my earnings are and declare them accordingly... because the E.I. system takes the time to figure out exactly what I'm entitled to ).
Anyways, if I were to appeal the penalty decision... how does that process go? and will it be retroactive? could it possibly allow for the 1 hr short application to be processed?
No, I haven't been incarcerated ( ever ) and yes, I could probably get a doctor to write down that there has been a 2 week period that I was too sick to look for/go to work - but that has a feel of " pulling a fast one " ... which I'd really rather not.
I cannot take the rejection laying down, for I am a very hardworking single mom who budgeted for this "income" - and borrowed against it. Perhaps I'm about to learn another painful but signifcant lesson... I know...

If you have any thoughts to enlighten me: bring it on, please!

Thanks in advance.
Well, like you said, you can't appeal something that's black and white.
Jul 3, 2012
5 posts
TORONTO
b166er1337 wrote: Visit your local SC office and inquire in person. You should have no problem qualifying regular EI
Thanks Allot for your quick reply!
Nov 1, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote: Yes. You need to report out of country this Friday and call in next week to advise the details.
Hi! You might remember me. I went to a wedding over the weekend (Friday to Monday) and asked if I needed to report it in. Anyway, Monday counts for the next upcoming report. They are already aware of the times/dates when I was gone (I called them the same day I left) so when I do my next report, do I need to still state I was away on Monday if they already have all this info? Can I simply say 'no' when I get to "Were you out of the country blah blah blah" ?
Jul 4, 2012
39 posts
11 upvotes
Here's my story:

-Have a close family member sick in Croatia
-Asked employer for time off, said 1 week max
-Employer said wouldn't accept leave of absence
-Felt I needed more time since it takes 2 days to get there and 2 days back since it's a rural part of the country. Leaving me with 3 days basically.
-Decided to quit job, gave 2 weeks notice.
-Filed EI Claim
-Talked to arbitrator on phone that said 1 week would have been sufficient regardless of above details, and I knew that anything more I had to jeopardize my job.
-EI Claim rejected

Worth sending an appeal? Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
FreelanceWolf wrote: Hi! You might remember me. I went to a wedding over the weekend (Friday to Monday) and asked if I needed to report it in. Anyway, Monday counts for the next upcoming report. They are already aware of the times/dates when I was gone (I called them the same day I left) so when I do my next report, do I need to still state I was away on Monday if they already have all this info? Can I simply say 'no' when I get to "Were you out of the country blah blah blah" ?
If it is on file, then you probably don't have to. To be on the safe side, I would repeat the same process again.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
FatalX wrote: Here's my story:

-Have a close family member sick in Croatia
-Asked employer for time off, said 1 week max
-Employer said wouldn't accept leave of absence
-Felt I needed more time since it takes 2 days to get there and 2 days back since it's a rural part of the country. Leaving me with 3 days basically.
-Decided to quit job, gave 2 weeks notice.
-Filed EI Claim
-Talked to arbitrator on phone that said 1 week would have been sufficient regardless of above details, and I knew that anything more I had to jeopardize my job.
-EI Claim rejected

Worth sending an appeal? Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
When you mention close family member, what's your exact relationship?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
FreelanceWolf wrote: Hi! You might remember me. I went to a wedding over the weekend (Friday to Monday) and asked if I needed to report it in. Anyway, Monday counts for the next upcoming report. They are already aware of the times/dates when I was gone (I called them the same day I left) so when I do my next report, do I need to still state I was away on Monday if they already have all this info? Can I simply say 'no' when I get to "Were you out of the country blah blah blah" ?

if it's on file, you should complete your report as normal, when it asks if u were outside the country u say yes, if u were availible for work u say yes.

that way u still report being outsside of the country and report available, the disentitlment on file, will already stop payment for that day. if u say not available again for 1 day, computer gets confused if its the same day or a different day and will ask u to call in
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
FatalX wrote: It's my grandmother.

not sure if relationship matters in this case. It would if u had to leave the country for a funeral then grandmother is allowed for 7 days.

in this case, it is appealable because it is a decision made. in terms of your success rate, i wouldn't know.

Personally i would side with the arbitrator and say 1 week is enough, but then again the board of referrees has been know to overturn decisions based on emotions if you can show or say that u are the only family member left and u had to take care of her and nobody else, and if u weren't there it would turn worse.

wouldn't hurt appealing, but not sure if it will do much.
Jul 5, 2012
2 posts
AURORA
Hi,

I've been waiting for a decision on my EI claim for regular benefits (originally filed at the end of April).

I accidentally missed filing the 3rd of my 4th report due so far.

I realized my error when I wasn't able to fill in my 4th report and promptly called Service Canada, went into the office etc. Since I have also been waiting a long time for a decision, I contacted my MP.

My question is...assuming I am approved for benefits, what does a missed report result in? Can I lose all future week of benefits over this mistake?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
FatalX wrote: It's my grandmother.
Unfortunately, grandparents don't count as direct relatives (only spouse, parents and kids are). So sick direct relatives tend to carry more weight than others.

Electricute wrote: not sure if relationship matters in this case. It would if u had to leave the country for a funeral then grandmother is allowed for 7 days.

in this case, it is appealable because it is a decision made. in terms of your success rate, i wouldn't know.

Personally i would side with the arbitrator and say 1 week is enough, but then again the board of referrees has been know to overturn decisions based on emotions if you can show or say that u are the only family member left and u had to take care of her and nobody else, and if u weren't there it would turn worse.
The first level for appeal is board of referees (which will be scrapped in the near future); the second level of appeal is an umpire (arbitrator). As discussed many times, board of referees have a different set of parameters than EI agents so your negative decision may or may not be overturned. I would appeal the decision if I were you.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
gotQuestion wrote: Hi,

I've been waiting for a decision on my EI claim for regular benefits (originally filed at the end of April).

I accidentally missed filing the 3rd of my 4th report due so far.

I realized my error when I wasn't able to fill in my 4th report and promptly called Service Canada, went into the office etc. Since I have also been waiting a long time for a decision, I contacted my MP.

My question is...assuming I am approved for benefits, what does a missed report result in? Can I lose all future week of benefits over this mistake?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
A late report may mean no payment for those weeks missed. However, since your MP is involved, chances are the processing agent may simply manually enter the reports for you.
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I was told you can work part time and collect regular benefits. What if you quit the part time job, while collecting regular benefits? Will you stop getting regular benefits or will you still continue getting the full benefits?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
extrax wrote: I was told you can work part time and collect regular benefits. What if you quit the part time job, while collecting regular benefits? Will you stop getting regular benefits or will you still continue getting the full benefits?
It's one of the stupid rules of EI but you still need to show just cause for quitting the part time job if you wish to continue receiving EI.
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote: It's one of the stupid rules of EI but you still need to show just cause for quitting the part time job if you wish to continue receiving EI.
What's a good "cause" to quitting a part time job? other than getting laid off from the part time job which is doubtable.
Aug 30, 2008
909 posts
184 upvotes
ON
Hi OP, I'm really confused here, hopefully you can help me out before I actually call or visit Service Canada. :S

I lost my job at the beginning of May and applied before the month was up (the very beginning of June); on June 29, 2012, I received a letter saying how much I'll get, after deducting my severance pay, etc.

In June, I had also filed an EI report online, but for which specific date period, I can't remember.

I logged on about a week or two ago, to see if it was time to file a new report. From my Service Canada account it looked like my previous report hadn't been processed yet, so I left it alone.

Now today I log in, and it says: Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from May 13, 2012 to May 26, 2012. From my account they also started my claim as of May 13, 2012.

I wouldn't be getting any money from that period anyway because of the monies received on separation... I just don't know why I'm told to make reports for that period or what to even explain to the person at the Service Canada desk... I also don't want to miss my report for the more recent 2 weeks, because the website won't let me complete anything due to that late report.

Also just for reference, letsay a two week period ends May 26. Is the last day to submit the report for that 2 week period May 26?

Thanks for your advice! :)
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
stardustcross wrote: Hi OP, I'm really confused here, hopefully you can help me out before I actually call or visit Service Canada. :S

I lost my job at the beginning of May and applied before the month was up (the very beginning of June); on June 29, 2012, I received a letter saying how much I'll get, after deducting my severance pay, etc.

In June, I had also filed an EI report online, but for which specific date period, I can't remember.

I logged on about a week or two ago, to see if it was time to file a new report. From my Service Canada account it looked like my previous report hadn't been processed yet, so I left it alone.

Now today I log in, and it says: Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from May 13, 2012 to May 26, 2012. From my account they also started my claim as of May 13, 2012.

I wouldn't be getting any money from that period anyway because of the monies received on separation... I just don't know why I'm told to make reports for that period or what to even explain to the person at the Service Canada desk... I also don't want to miss my report for the more recent 2 weeks, because the website won't let me complete anything due to that late report.

Also just for reference, letsay a two week period ends May 26. Is the last day to submit the report for that 2 week period May 26?

Thanks for your advice! :)
So you only submitted one report? You have 3-4 weeks (can't remember) after the report period to file the claimant's report. To my understanding you didn't file the second report because your claim has been processed yet?
You should call Service Canada asap and tell them why you didn't file the second report on time.