Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 3:45 pm
Nov 4, 2015
1 posts
Madden, AB
My spouse is being transfered within their organization and as a result I will be leaving my job. I am a provincial employee but the town I am moving to currently has no availible jobs and I have checked with HR to confirm this. I was informed that I will qualify for EI which I have never applied for before so I have a couple quick questions.

1) There is a job the next town over but it is a 100 km commute each way. Would I be required to take this given the distance?

2) If no jobs show up in my field, I am assuming I will be required at some point to apply for other jobs I may be qualified for - even if it means taking a cut in pay. At what point does this occur?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2004
1017 posts
124 upvotes
While on EI I will be receiving a payment for lost wages from my union for a past company that I worked for bankruptcy.
I know I need to report it. How will reporting the money affect my claim and will I lose benefit weeks?
In my report should I claim it as wages earned or other money.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10461 posts
4746 upvotes
Calgary
leow12 wrote: My spouse is being transfered within their organization and as a result I will be leaving my job. I am a provincial employee but the town I am moving to currently has no availible jobs and I have checked with HR to confirm this. I was informed that I will qualify for EI which I have never applied for before so I have a couple quick questions.

1) There is a job the next town over but it is a 100 km commute each way. Would I be required to take this given the distance?

2) If no jobs show up in my field, I am assuming I will be required at some point to apply for other jobs I may be qualified for - even if it means taking a cut in pay. At what point does this occur?

Thanks
1) I would say no. 200km commute daily is quite a biy. But then again it is one hour commute which is norm for most people these days. However, it is a personal choice if you wish to commute to that job (higher pay, stability, long commute, same field vs lower pay, unstable, local and different field).

2) My guess is that you are an Occasional Claimant. Go here for more information: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/e ... mant.shtml
For the first six weeks of your EI claim, you will be able to limit your search for a job to your usual occupation and wage (at least 90% of your previous wage), but no lower than the minimum wage rate in the province or territory where the employment is offered.
Starting at week seven of your claim, you will be required to search for jobs similar to the job you normally perform with wages at 80% of your previous wage, but no lower than the minimum wage rate in the province or territory where the employment is offered.
After 18 weeks of your EI claim, you will be required to further expand your job search to include any work you are qualified to perform (with on-the-job training, if required) and to accept wages starting at 70% of your previous wage, but not lower than the minimum wage rate in the province or territory where the employment is offered.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10461 posts
4746 upvotes
Calgary
bobsackamano wrote: While on EI I will be receiving a payment for lost wages from my union for a past company that I worked for bankruptcy.
I know I need to report it. How will reporting the money affect my claim and will I lose benefit weeks?
In my report should I claim it as wages earned or other money.
How long ago did you work for this bankrupted company?
Apr 11, 2011
3 posts
clseea wrote: 1. The hours are excluded if there isn't just cause
2. What reasonable alternatives to quitting did he explore in order to have just cause for quitting? To me it doesn't look like just cause. The onus is on your husband to show sufficient evidence he tried to maintain his employment, and despite doing so, the only reasonable alternative to remaining employed was to quit. I don't see that criteria being met.
Thank you for your assistance clseea, the employer's HR department told him that he would just have to deal with it. Regardless it sounds like he wouldn't be able to claim.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2004
1017 posts
124 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: then don't report it as there is no need.
Not sure if that is correct as I am receiving the money now while on EI even though it's payment from earning two years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9497 posts
1924 upvotes
Edmonton
bobsackamano wrote: Not sure if that is correct as I am receiving the money now while on EI even though it's payment from earning two years ago.
Unless you earned the money while on EI or within your qualifying period, you don't need to report it. It's correct information.
Oct 7, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Hi Clseea,
I was laid off last July and I am collecting EI. Last week, the company sent me my vacation accrued money. Now I am doing my online report; however, I can not see any question for me to declare this kind of money. Should I call to talk with a technician (which is not easy)? Or can you please show me how to report it? Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9497 posts
1924 upvotes
Edmonton
Backtoschool wrote: Hi Clseea,
I was laid off last July and I am collecting EI. Last week, the company sent me my vacation accrued money. Now I am doing my online report; however, I can not see any question for me to declare this kind of money. Should I call to talk with a technician (which is not easy)? Or can you please show me how to report it? Thank you.
Unless it's on your ROE you'll need to declare it in the "other monies" portion of the report
Dec 21, 2014
5 posts
Kamloops, BC
I just started a new job. It is full time but I am on a two month probationary period. Should I record on my ei report that I started a full time job? Thank you!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10461 posts
4746 upvotes
Calgary
Luc100 wrote: I just started a new job. It is full time but I am on a two month probationary period. Should I record on my ei report that I started a full time job? Thank you!
Yes. If this job doesn't work out, you can reactivate the existing claim later.
Nov 6, 2015
3 posts
New Westminster, BC
Hello,

I am an occasional claimant and my benefits end on March 29,2016. I just filed my report yesterday and I did leave Canada for vacation for 3 days which I did claim on my report.

I logged onto my service Canada account this morning and it says "We have received new information regarding your claim. A decision will be made by November 29,2015." Then one paragraph down it says "we have received your report" it does not say anything about report not being processed until decision has been made. The only thing I can think of them reviewing is that I left Canada for 3 days so therefore had to check off no to being ready, willing and available to work.

I'm a single mom and rely on getting paid every second Tuesday. Has anyone else had this experience? I have heard if they were going to hold back a payment it would say "report will be processed once decision is made"

Any input will be appreciated to relieve some stress as service Canada is closed today.
Oct 24, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I have to go on sick leave and want to make sure that I am not disqualified to get EI.

My question is if get a letter from the doctor and it's dated the day I see them (i.e. Monday) and I present it to my employer (that day or day after once I'm back in the office) and they insist I work an extra few days to finish up/transition my projects, would I then be disqualified to get EI as the date of my doctor's note is different to my last day of employment on my ROE? I want to be fair to them (although putting my health first) but also don't want to have complications later as the dates wouldn't match up.

Anyone know? Thanks.