Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 10:37 pm
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
i was suffering from quite severe depression and anxiety. if that's what your asking. for which i have a medical history of and have recently started taking medication for again. my situation is quite complicated though as i had other employment after that.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2238 posts
1311 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote: i was suffering from quite severe depression and anxiety. if that's what your asking. for which i have a medical history of and have recently started taking medication for again. my situation is quite complicated though as i had other employment after that.
If we're to try and give you a proper answer we would have to know your situation. What happened to your employment 'after that'?
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
alright so i was seasonally employed as a landscaper i have been for several years, the opportunity to leave that job for a higher paying job (driving a rock truck) presented itself and i leaped at the opportunity i was at that job for around 6 weeks and quit it and went back to my previous job landscaping because i the time i felt horrible and thought going back to my old job and a more comfortable environment would help that. now as the season is ending i am getting laid off from landscaping and am applying for ei.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9466 posts
1910 upvotes
Edmonton
liquidsnake69 wrote: alright so i was seasonally employed as a landscaper i have been for several years, the opportunity to leave that job for a higher paying job (driving a rock truck) presented itself and i leaped at the opportunity i was at that job for around 6 weeks and quit it and went back to my previous job landscaping because i the time i felt horrible and thought going back to my old job and a more comfortable environment would help that. now as the season is ending i am getting laid off from landscaping and am applying for ei.
You need to exhaust reasonable alternatives to quitting and show just cause prior to quitting. If you quit employment that was potentially more permanent, you've now essentially created your own unemployment situation.

Reread the previous posts you created and the subsequent replies. I seem to recall you wondering about intentionally withholding one of your ROEs
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
i was simply giving oldmarriedguy the information he was requesting... i have different questions at this point in time and was hoping to get helpful replies, not be criticized.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9466 posts
1910 upvotes
Edmonton
liquidsnake69 wrote: i was simply giving oldmarriedguy the information he was requesting... i have different questions at this point in time and was hoping to get helpful replies, not be criticized.
You're not being criticized. You need to have exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting and show just cause. Given that you were able to get your old job back with little time in between is a good thing, but the permanency or potential permanency of the job you quit is going to be a factor.
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
i remember that from before, my questions now are what information would my doctor have to provide exactly, as he seems to not want to divulge to much information about my health, does ei require specifics or would it suffice to say that i was suffering from health issues at the time. also could i still apply at this point for sickness benefits which my doctor recommended to me already? thank you again.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2238 posts
1311 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote: i remember that from before, my questions now are what information would my doctor have to provide exactly, as he seems to not want to divulge to much information about my health, does ei require specifics or would it suffice to say that i was suffering from health issues at the time. also could i still apply at this point for sickness benefits which my doctor recommended to me already? thank you again.
You're not off for illness/injury currently, you are off because your seasonal employment is ending. You have to truthfully answer the questions in regards to quitting employement. Those hours may not count if the officer deems that you did not have just cause in quitting. I understand you having anxiety but you quit the rock truck driving job because you didn't like it. That is not just cause. They may be able to use the hours from the previous landscaping job as you quit to accept a better job, which is reasonable and just cause.
Just because you have some health issues does not automatically qualify you for EI. Your health issues are not the reason you are unable to work. Good luck.
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
Your response is related to the questions I asked you. Clearly your making assumptions I'm a lair and discrediting my health problems. I didn't give you all the details because I feel that is personal, I'm wondering if ei will also discredit mental health issues unless you give detailed records , as some people have a negative stigmatism toward mental health issues ... That's exactly why my doctor said he thinks it'd be better to be vague. And also my doctor recommended sickness benefits to me and I'm wondering if I am still eligible for those , if I could change my type of claim?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2238 posts
1311 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote: Your response is related to the questions I asked you. Clearly your making assumptions I'm a lair and discrediting my health problems. I didn't give you all the details because I feel that is personal, I'm wondering if ei will also discredit mental health issues unless you give detailed records , as some people have a negative stigmatism toward mental health issues ... That's exactly why my doctor said he thinks it'd be better to be vague. And also my doctor recommended sickness benefits to me and I'm wondering if I am still eligible for those , if I could change my type of claim?

I am not making any assumptions and yes I am basing my response from your statements, what else would I base it on? As the first page of this thread states, I am a former Service Canada employee who has worked in EI. You yourself (not me) stated you are being laid off for seasonal employment issues. That means your reason for separation is due to a lay off, not health related issues. You are mis-understanding the purpose of employment insurance. I did not call you a liar. You asked for answers and you are getting them. Don't get offended because you are not getting the answer you 'want'. You may not be eligible for benefits based on the statements you gave me. You have to answer the questions on the application honestly and the officer will ask you the same questions I am asking you. No one is stigmatizing your mental health issues. You're bringing that up yourself. There are people who deal with those issues everyday that are able to go to work. EI is to provide assistance where there is a separation from your employment due to issues beyond your control which can include health related issues. From what YOU are stating, you are off currently due to a lay off. If this is not the case then perhaps I am mis-understanding your questions.
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
Ok well yes I am off due to lay off prior to that I missed several weeks of work due to metal health I've been feeling this way for months now (I did go to work everyday I did deal with it for long time but it has gotten worse) and am seeking medical help with it. Do you need to still be employed to get sickness benefits? I feel like it may be a misrepresentation to say I am ready willing and able to work if my condition persists.are you saying that if I applied for sickness 2 weeks ago before my layoff with my doctors approval (which he's already given me) then I would of been eligible but since I worked a few days extra and got laid off I'm now ineligible to apply for sickness?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10440 posts
4720 upvotes
Calgary
If you can't work now due to health reasons, get the doctors note stating it clearly and apply for sickness benefits. As other said, you may or may not be eligible for regular benefits when you recover.
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
Thank you do i need to cancel the report I just filled out yesterday and file another or can I change it to sickness , will I need to get a different roe from my employer aswell?
Jan 19, 2014
13 posts
As an update to my situation, I just received a rejection from SC regarding my EI application. I am currently on Second Career which ends on Dec 18 this year. My previous claim ran out on Oct 29, and I applied for a new claim in November, for which I received the rejection letter today. The reason they gave was because I have a part time job while I am undergoing SC training. Should I appeal, or is it a waste of time? There is no information on the Service Canada website regarding Second Career at all. Any suggestions here is appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2238 posts
1311 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote: Thank you do i need to cancel the report I just filled out yesterday and file another or can I change it to sickness , will I need to get a different roe from my employer aswell?
You should probably contact the Service Canada hotline and provide them with accurate information regarding your situation. If you applied for regular benefits you should ask to have it converted to sickness. It will still take 4 weeks to process your claim. You will need a doctors note. Your employer doesn't change your ROE, it will still say lay off as that was the reason your employment ended.