EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 1:45 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34450 posts
4023 upvotes
Winnipeg
b166er1337 wrote: Imagine talking to claimants who are sad, angry, confused and breaking down because they don't qualify for EI and are about to be evicted. Claimants don't call you because they are happy. EI call centre is not a fun job.
can't be helped, all call centers are like that, of course this one would have people with depressed state of mind
Dec 6, 2015
1 posts
East York, ON
I've emailed my resume to several recruiters just about over 100+ with no success. Does anyone have a website for jobs without recuiters.

Signed Frustrated
Jun 30, 2010
603 posts
58 upvotes
If your EI has been approved and you are on your two weeks waiting period and you make some amount from a part time job within those two weeks, does your waiting period get extended?

I called EI and they are already know that I'm making some money from a part time job while on EI. They informed me that when you report that on your EI report, you'll get 50% of that deducted from your EI paycheck. Is that correct as well?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10442 posts
4724 upvotes
Calgary
xtwo wrote: If your EI has been approved and you are on your two weeks waiting period and you make some amount from a part time job within those two weeks, does your waiting period get extended?

I called EI and they are already know that I'm making some money from a part time job while on EI. They informed me that when you report that on your EI report, you'll get 50% of that deducted from your EI paycheck. Is that correct as well?
No, but you get penalized 100%. Every dollar you make during the 2 week waiting period will be deducted from your first benefits. After waiting period then yes it is 50% deduction for every dollar you make.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
Weasie1956 wrote: I've emailed my resume to several recruiters just about over 100+ with no success. Does anyone have a website for jobs without recuiters.

Signed Frustrated
You should probably seek professional resume writing help instead
Dec 23, 2010
80 posts
75 upvotes
BC
I got a letter in the mail stating that I need additional information regarding my Worker's Compensation Benefits claim. This claim was 3 years ago and I am unable to find my record of the start and end of my Workers Compensation Benefits claim, and my payment amounts from this claim. What should I do? Should I call and tell them I was unable to find it?
Jun 21, 2013
259 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
clseea wrote: While you're in school yes
How would they know your in school? What if you took weekend classes?
Jun 21, 2013
259 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
widowminesOP wrote: i THINK it happens to most EI claimers. LOL. I was getting paid $17hr in job that i got laid off. Then went into EI for 9 weeks (of course im busy looking for jobs) and then simply got tired and depressed in my room using the computer all day (my plan is to work out and walk the parks..get fit yeah right...i got lazy in reality) and then I was offered a job finally at $12/hr to which I accepted the offer and informed EIcanada I got a fulltime job now. Then I realized, Im working for this so tiring job when in fact I could simply get EI money for free. Yeah, by working I can get at most $100 more compared to simply receiving my EI money but remember its because Im working my as.s off. EI is free. Just prove to them you are busy looking for job and you get the eimoney. Anyway, I got tired of my new $12job and quit-after a week of working. I just quit. So now, with no EI benefits money (its already shutdown of course) now Im back to looking for job using my own out of pocket savings. EPIC fail.
my scenario is about the same as yours. got lay off in may 2015 had around 3000+ insurable hours. two months later after getting my employer to send in the correct information I got approved mine is for about 41 weeks. been looking for full time work got hired at sprit for 11.00 dollars a hours before the min wage went up. and I thought this isn't worth is the work or the people their so I left and continued EI benefits
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
bollywoodfan wrote: How would they know your in school? What if you took weekend classes?
You're required to declare it.
Weekend classes don't present an issue
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
TheCan41 wrote: I got a letter in the mail stating that I need additional information regarding my Worker's Compensation Benefits claim. This claim was 3 years ago and I am unable to find my record of the start and end of my Workers Compensation Benefits claim, and my payment amounts from this claim. What should I do? Should I call and tell them I was unable to find it?
Call WCB first
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
bollywoodfan wrote: my scenario is about the same as yours. got lay off in may 2015 had around 3000+ insurable hours. two months later after getting my employer to send in the correct information I got approved mine is for about 41 weeks. been looking for full time work got hired at sprit for 11.00 dollars a hours before the min wage went up. and I thought this isn't worth is the work or the people their so I left and continued EI benefits
You quit and somehow continued getting EI?
Dec 8, 2015
1 posts
Riverview, NB
Just wondering when receiving regular benefits, are you allowed any sick time? For example if I'm not willing, or capable for work and report it will I receive money still. Or I won't receive anything for that week?
Oct 29, 2014
428 posts
118 upvotes
Before calling in thought I'd ask here because it may be faster..

In the section where it asks your former employment in the past 52 weeks, what if you did contract work for a company. They didnt pay any EI or taxes for me I will have to file that my self and obviously wont be giving me a ROE.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2239 posts
1312 upvotes
Stewart66 wrote: Just wondering when receiving regular benefits, are you allowed any sick time? For example if I'm not willing, or capable for work and report it will I receive money still. Or I won't receive anything for that week?
Yes you will be eligible for payments if the sickness is on a short term basis only.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5097 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
why does it say " we are unable to to locate a client record for you "

this means my ei claim is done right? i'll no longer receive benefits?