Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
ph00p wrote: So does this mean I'll get 50 weeks or 21 weeks?

Ok I think I've got it, I'll get 50 weeks, they've given me 21.

I was paid $6 more dollars last time I got EI, but I didn't get any increase in anything at all, did tax change this year or something? Why would I get $6 more dollars all of a sudden? I wasn't reassessed or anything.
Your rate changed on the same claim or from claim to claim? Could be insurable earnings or tax deductions changed. The weeks they used to calculate may have shifted. Could be a number of things
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
clseea wrote: You'll need to declare it in "other monies", which will result in a trip down and you'll need to discuss it with someone. Depending on the timing of the bonus it may not be allocated against the claim, meaning it won't impact things. Still need to declare it and have it assessed though
Does the "Other Monies" area bring you to a page where you explain what it is?

Like I said, I thought I wasn't going to get it as they screwed me out of Holiday pay already.

The payment is about 1.5 months after I worked my last shift there, if that makes a difference. They also didn't get back to me until now when I asked if I was receiving it.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
clseea wrote: Your rate changed on the same claim or from claim to claim? Could be insurable earnings or tax deductions changed. The weeks they used to calculate may have shifted. Could be a number of things
It's the same claim, but I was given $6 more the past pay day.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2934 upvotes
Markham
ph00p wrote: It's the same claim, but I was given $6 more the past pay day.
Cuz they don’t deduct the tax as new year 2022 kicks in.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Can I apply for CWLB right after EI finished in this month?
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
fatkinglet wrote: Can I apply for CWLB right after EI finished in this month?
CWLB, you are in a lockdown region or your employer business was ordered lowered its capacity by at least 50%. Since you are currently on EI, I don’t see you qualify. I might be wrong.
Jan 31, 2022
1 posts
I gave my resignation at work . I gave 3 weeks notice.
After completing one week of notice period , I was told by the HR to not work for the remainder 2 weeks of notice. HR said they will still pay for the remainder 2 weeks.

I plan to apply for EI though I resigned because of the circumstances of my departure.

Can I apply for EI even though the remainder 2 weeks of notice are still going on though I have been told no longer required to work for those 2 weeks but I will be paid.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2934 upvotes
Markham
Onionagitation wrote: I gave my resignation at work . I gave 3 weeks notice.
After completing one week of notice period , I was told by the HR to not work for the remainder 2 weeks of notice. HR said they will still pay for the remainder 2 weeks.

I plan to apply for EI though I resigned because of the circumstances of my departure.

Can I apply for EI even though the remainder 2 weeks of notice are still going on though I have been told no longer required to work for those 2 weeks but I will be paid.
depends on how HR coded ur ROE, if it says you resign, I dont think you will qualify for any EI
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Onionagitation wrote: I gave my resignation at work . I gave 3 weeks notice.

You'll need to have exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting and show just cause. This can't be determined based on your post.
Dec 10, 2015
8 posts
Mississauga, ON
I've been waiting months as well not sure what is going on (you're not the only one) I tried asking the question on reddit EICERB and was almost instantly banned,
first time I ever posted there too which was bizarre. Tried calling them they said there is nothing I can do about it but wait that was Jan (got my code in Nov, applied for EI on December 5th)
but Nada, I've been looking for a job since actively with no luck yet. I'm not to sure whats going on with the EI stuff but I wouldn't be depending on that anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1406 posts
750 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Hey, wondering about the waiting period for getting EI payments. I know last year they dropped it to 1 week due to covid. Is it still 1 week, or has it gone back to 2?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
I applied for 3 weeks of parental leave in January 2022 and received only 2 weeks of EI pay, due to Service Canada indicating they had to change the start date of my claim to be one week later than what I applied for due to unused vacation days getting paid out by Employer. My claim was supposed start on Jan 2, but started on Jan 9 and my vacation pay was received on Jan 27.

2 weeks of unused vacation got paid out by Employer. The unused vacation getting paid out was listed on my ROE with a note stating "paid because no longer working", which is technically incorrect since my employer policy is to always pay out unused vacation pay at end of January every year and of course I would returning to my employer.

They explained to me that since vacation pay is considered "separation monies", I would only be eligible for 2 weeks of EI pay and not 3.

I had really hard time understanding why unused vacation days getting paid out had anything to do with my EI claim for parental leave? They said I could appeal the decision by completing SC-INS5210 form, but I am not sure what would be the appropriate justification for the appeal?

Any thoughts? Appreciate any feedback.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: Hey, wondering about the waiting period for getting EI payments. I know last year they dropped it to 1 week due to covid. Is it still 1 week, or has it gone back to 2?
See here
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote: I applied for 3 weeks of parental leave in January 2022 and received only 2 weeks of EI pay, due to Service Canada indicating they had to change the start date of my claim to be one week later than what I applied for due to unused vacation days getting paid out by Employer. My claim was supposed start on Jan 2, but started on Jan 9 and my vacation pay was received on Jan 27.

2 weeks of unused vacation got paid out by Employer. The unused vacation getting paid out was listed on my ROE with a note stating "paid because no longer working", which is technically incorrect since my employer policy is to always pay out unused vacation pay at end of January every year and of course I would returning to my employer.

They explained to me that since vacation pay is considered "separation monies", I would only be eligible for 2 weeks of EI pay and not 3.

I had really hard time understanding why unused vacation days getting paid out had anything to do with my EI claim for parental leave? They said I could appeal the decision by completing SC-INS5210 form, but I am not sure what would be the appropriate justification for the appeal?

Any thoughts? Appreciate any feedback.
hmmm, it's not supposed to be allocated to the claim right now, there's a temporary measure in place. Maybe there's more info I'm missing, but you should find out more info from whoever approved the claim
Unless you're only getting 2 because of the waiting period
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
clseea wrote: hmmm, it's not supposed to be allocated to the claim right now, there's a temporary measure in place. Maybe there's more info I'm missing, but you should find out more info from whoever approved the claim
No my spouse took the waiting period, so mine was deferred.

What do you by temporary measure?

Should I file an appeal? Just wasn't sure what to write.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
clseea wrote: hmmm, it's not supposed to be allocated to the claim right now, there's a temporary measure in place. Maybe there's more info I'm missing, but you should find out more info from whoever approved the claim
No my spouse took the waiting period, so mine was deferred.

Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote: No my spouse took the waiting period, so mine was deferred.

Reading your original post over, if your vacation was paid due to an anniversary date, it wouldn't be part of the temporary measure. If it was paid due to an outright separation, it wouldn't be allocated so wouldn't impact your claim
So since it's paid due to the anniversary pay out, they're allocating the vacation pay against your claim. Since you're only applying for a small number of weeks of parental leave, your vacation pay is basically taking up a portion of the window in which you could collect your benefits.

ie. if you apply for 3 weeks of benefits, but 1 of those weeks has a week of vacation pay allocated to it, you're only getting paid EI for 2 weeks instead of 3. The vacation pay effectively takes the place of the parental leave.

There's not really any grounds to appeal anything. The payout of the vacation pay is due to the anniversary date, which just so happens to coincide with your parental leave period. If you take further parental leave benefits or wanted to start it at a future date, you'd get further benefits.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
clseea wrote: Reading your original post over, if your vacation was paid due to an anniversary date, it wouldn't be part of the temporary measure. If it was paid due to an outright separation, it wouldn't be allocated so wouldn't impact your claim
So since it's paid due to the anniversary pay out, they're allocating the vacation pay against your claim. Since you're only applying for a small number of weeks of parental leave, your vacation pay is basically taking up a portion of the window in which you could collect your benefits.

ie. if you apply for 3 weeks of benefits, but 1 of those weeks has a week of vacation pay allocated to it, you're only getting paid EI for 2 weeks instead of 3. The vacation pay effectively takes the place of the parental leave.

There's not really any grounds to appeal anything. The payout of the vacation pay is due to the anniversary date, which just so happens to coincide with your parental leave period. If you take further parental leave benefits or wanted to start it at a future date, you'd get further benefits.
My employer policy is to always pay out unused vacation pay at end of January every year, so is this just bad timing that I never should have taken parental leave during this time to avoid conflict without vacation payout? Sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding what vacation payout has anything to do with EI benefits?

If I knew this would have happened, I guess I would have moved my parental leave to a different time or just take my vacation days.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote: My employer policy is to always pay out unused vacation pay at end of January every year, so is this just bad timing that I never should have taken parental leave during this time to avoid conflict without vacation payout? Sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding what vacation payout has anything to do with EI benefits?

If I knew this would have happened, I guess I would have moved my parental leave to a different time or just take my vacation days.
It looks to be just bad timing

The simple version... if you're getting money paid out from your employer, you can't also collect EI for that same time period. There are currently some temporary measures in place where you can, but they're temporary and don't appear to apply to your situation.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
clseea wrote: It looks to be just bad timing

The simple version... if you're getting money paid out from your employer, you can't also collect EI for that same time period. There are currently some temporary measures in place where you can, but they're temporary and don't appear to apply to your situation.
However, if my vacation pay was received on Jan 27 (i.e. after the claim) then shouldn't it be outside of same time period I was receiving EI?

Also would I have any ground for the appeal if can reasonably justify that Service Canada gave me incorrect information regarding eligibility for 3 week EI claim as per the approved application (i.e. adjustment for vacation pay was performed after the fact)?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)