Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 6:47 am
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
eagerbeaver83 wrote: 2.5 months. Don't know about the good reason. Nobody asked me about a reason. There was a generic note on the file that says I forgot to do it!

So basically they will reject it for not having a good reason or they might activate it?
Forgetting about it generally isn't considered good cause. You were doing them up until that point.
Newbie
May 4, 2017
22 posts
10 upvotes
clseea wrote: Forgetting about it generally isn't considered good cause. You were doing them up until that point.
So based on what you say, most likely it will be rejected.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
eagerbeaver83 wrote: So based on what you say, most likely it will be rejected.
I wouldn't approve it just because you forgot, the onus is on you to make the claim. But I'm not the one doing it
Member
Oct 17, 2009
299 posts
13 upvotes
Hi all,

Long story short.
i was let go from my company of 10 years in May. I was collecting EI from May to September. In september i found a job and stopped my EI benefit. I want to quit this job and continue my EI until i find another job. My question is...Will i be able to reopen my EI claim if i quit my current job?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2704 posts
1758 upvotes
Markham
asianstutter wrote: Hi all,

Long story short.
i was let go from my company of 10 years in May. I was collecting EI from May to September. In september i found a job and stopped my EI benefit. I want to quit this job and continue my EI until i find another job. My question is...Will i be able to reopen my EI claim if i quit my current job?
No
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
asianstutter wrote: Hi all,

Long story short.
i was let go from my company of 10 years in May. I was collecting EI from May to September. In september i found a job and stopped my EI benefit. I want to quit this job and continue my EI until i find another job. My question is...Will i be able to reopen my EI claim if i quit my current job?
Quit just because you don't like it?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
asianstutter wrote: It's causing too much stress for me.
All job cause anyone stress. But there is nothing you can do, unless the company will agreed to get you go and mention "your skills does not fit their requirement". I learned a lot of lesson, while on EI take your time to decide if I am going to accept the offer or not.
Newbie
May 4, 2017
22 posts
10 upvotes
clseea wrote: I wouldn't approve it just because you forgot, the onus is on you to make the claim. But I'm not the one doing it
So, I received a call from someone in ServiceCanada and he did not ask for anything. He just said it is approved and asked me for a statement that I haven't had any income during that period.

While the answers I received here were based on ServiceCanada's guidelines, in reality, they did not even care and approved my request.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
eagerbeaver83 wrote: While the answers I received here were based on ServiceCanada's guidelines, in reality, they did not even care and approved my request.
Sounds about right lol.....but def good news for you
Newbie
May 4, 2017
22 posts
10 upvotes
clseea wrote: Sounds about right lol.....but def good news for you
The guy said: "I have reviewed your request and I see no reasons that we cannot approve it". I was tempted but managed to keep my mouth shut!
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2018
586 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I get EI and leave Canada discretely for 3 months, will they cut me off? I will come back discretely.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
Fksdom wrote: If I get EI and leave Canada discretely for 3 months, will they cut me off? I will come back discretely.
lol please help me understand the intended use of "discretely" in this scenario, and the purpose of the "discrete" departure
Newbie
Mar 20, 2020
38 posts
11 upvotes
I have a question about the reactivation of a claim near its end.

In january of 2022 my EI claim was approved, ending this saturday, december 24.

back in april my company recalled me. The benefit payments stopped as expected after updating service canada.

fast forward to nov 25 I was laid off again.. T he EI claim was reactivated after i reapplied online.

I visited a service canada office to ask how to proceed after the claim ends dec 24.

the agent informed me that a new claim will be automatically created based on the ROE submitted by my company.

i called the service canada call center to corroborate this info. The call center agent informed me that I must sumbit a new claim afer the current claim ends, even though there's an ROE available.


I have no problems reapplying, but I still would to hear about your experience.

thanks.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10747 posts
3985 upvotes
rexioderum wrote: I have a question about the reactivation of a claim near its end.

In january of 2022 my EI claim was approved, ending this saturday, december 24.

back in april my company recalled me. The benefit payments stopped as expected after updating service canada.

fast forward to nov 25 I was laid off again.. T he EI claim was reactivated after i reapplied online.

I visited a service canada office to ask how to proceed after the claim ends dec 24.

the agent informed me that a new claim will be automatically created based on the ROE submitted by my company.

i called the service canada call center to corroborate this info. The call center agent informed me that I must sumbit a new claim afer the current claim ends, even though there's an ROE available.


I have no problems reapplying, but I still would to hear about your experience.

thanks.
A subsequent claim should be created due to the time lines. The old claim needs to be completed and paid out, then the system should automatically create a new claim for you. It's not super common, but happens when a claim gets reactivated within 4 weeks of the expiry date, with new hours available to establish a new claim. Keep an eye on things to make sure it happens.
Sr. Member
Jan 24, 2015
528 posts
86 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I was paid biweekly. My last working day is Nov. 11th. I received two week's termination pay, unused vacation pay (less than two weeks) and two week's payroll for pay period Oct.23-Nov. 05 and then one week payroll for pay period Nov.6-Nov.19 a few weeks later.

Which date should be "Last day for which paid" and “Final pay period ending date” on my ROE? When will my EI payment start? Thanks.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)