Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1908 posts
344 upvotes
St. Johns

EI impact on Maternity/Parental leave

Possibly moving to a different province for work and my wife might need to take EI if she can't find employment. If she takes EI will it impact maternity/parental leave that we are planning for next spring or is it completely separate programs?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1247 posts
661 upvotes
RyanS219 wrote: Possibly moving to a different province for work and my wife might need to take EI if she can't find employment. If she takes EI will it impact maternity/parental leave that we are planning for next spring or is it completely separate programs?
the EI thread is more helpful but from what i can tell, it sounds like she will be extending her EI from maternity to regular, the number of weeks eligible will be based on the unemployment rate of the province, at place of filing or going, just not sure? For her to be eligible to be on reg EI, she will need to be available to work, different than being on parental leave EI.. because sheis extending, the number of weeks on reg EI is likely reduced. PLease contact EI directly and also seek the EI thread for a better reply like techmeoff suggested. all the best!