• Apr 14th, 2020 8:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 9, 2006
61 posts
4 upvotes

EI and Instacart

Hello,

I am currently on EI due the covid-19 situation. The $2000 is not enough to pay my bills and I have been thinking of doing Instacart (a service where you are paid to delivery groceries) or other such services. I am just wondering how this will effect my EI earnings?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2328 posts
701 upvotes
New Brunswick
You will report it and they will do the deductions.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2006
61 posts
4 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: You will report it and they will do the deductions.
Sorry my bad I wasn't very clear. What I meant is there way to know home much I can earn before my benefits are deducted. I couldn't really find anything online and I can never get through to Service Canada to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7070 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
bandito40 wrote: So I found this. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... claim.html It's 50 cent per every dollar you earn or if you do the alternative method it's a maximum of 40% which based on $2000 for months that are four weeks works out $200 a week that you can earn without getting your benefits deducted.
Your first 16 weeks is not EI but CERB (you will switch back to EI after 16 weeks and get 55% of your insurance earning payout), which the gov't did not provide any details how it will be deducted, unlike regular EI (the link you found is how regular EI will deduct if you work). But based on CERB next period applying for benefit, there is a clause "YOU MUST MAKE SURE you will not have any income.....'
[OP]
Jun 9, 2006
61 posts
4 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Your first 16 weeks is not EI but CERB (you will switch back to EI after 16 weeks and get 55% of your insurance earning payout), which the gov't did not provide any details how it will be deducted, unlike regular EI (the link you found is how regular EI will deduct if you work). But based on CERB next period applying for benefit, there is a clause "YOU MUST MAKE SURE you will not have any income.....'
Actually now that you mentioned it I believe its actually no income for 14 consecutive days. I know its my EI claim is essentially CERB that I'm getting but I did apply for EI and I don't remember anything like that but it was there when I looked at the CERB. Either way you're probably right that my EI is CERB. It made sense when I received the benefits and the amount was $2000. Anyway I plan to call in the morning if I can get through...maybe get a better answer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7070 posts
1781 upvotes
Toronto
bandito40 wrote: Actually now that you mentioned it I believe its actually no income for 14 consecutive days. I know its my EI claim is essentially CERB that I'm getting but I did apply for EI and I don't remember anything like that but it was there when I looked at the CERB. Either way you're probably right that my EI is CERB. It made sense when I received the benefits and the amount was $2000. Anyway I plan to call in the morning if I can get through...maybe get a better answer.
This is the CERB /EI Q&A link https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... tions.html