EI last day worked - Monday vs Friday consequences

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2018 5:36 pm
Aug 21, 2016
465 posts
164 upvotes

EI last day worked - Monday vs Friday consequences

Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this. My brother is going to be laid off from work in 2 weeks. He has the option of his last day being a Friday or working 5 hours on the following Monday. I seem to remember something about with EI the waiting period wouldn't start until the next full week, therefore, the few hours on the Monday will cause him to lose a weeks eligibility. Is this true or do I have it wrong and only the pay for the 5 hours is deducted? Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3663 upvotes
I believe the Monday will delay the waiting period for another week, but then again, I believe EI rules are deliberately made confusing and complex to dissuade people from challenging any "official" answer that might be provided. The help pages for online EI application are a great example - they rarely actually provide any help or clarity or even a definition of what is being asked.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
EI aside, why bother going in for 5hrs on the Monday?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
fern54 wrote: Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this. My brother is going to be laid off from work in 2 weeks. He has the option of his last day being a Friday or working 5 hours on the following Monday. I seem to remember something about with EI the waiting period wouldn't start until the next full week, therefore, the few hours on the Monday will cause him to lose a weeks eligibility. Is this true or do I have it wrong and only the pay for the 5 hours is deducted? Thanks
My bigger concern would be how this affects the ROE, would having the 5 hour 'work week' have an affect on EI amounts?
Why can't we all just get along?
Aug 21, 2016
465 posts
164 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: EI aside, why bother going in for 5hrs on the Monday?
He would go as the employer wants him to and would keep them happy since he expects to return to work there in a couple months. Plus he wants to work so would rather do the hours even if they're deducted from the EI amount received. Losing a whole weeks pay wouldn't be worth it though.

The rules are definitely confusing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
fern54 wrote: He would go as the employer wants him to and would keep them happy since he expects to return to work there in a couple months. Plus he wants to work so would rather do the hours even if they're deducted from the EI amount received. Losing a whole weeks pay wouldn't be worth it though.

I see, a temp layoff.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jeff1970 wrote: My bigger concern would be how this affects the ROE, would having the 5 hour 'work week' have an affect on EI amounts?
It wouldn't effect the amounts, but I think it is pointless to go in for the 5 hours.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
fern54 wrote: He would go as the employer wants him to and would keep them happy since he expects to return to work there in a couple months. Plus he wants to work so would rather do the hours even if they're deducted from the EI amount received. Losing a whole weeks pay wouldn't be worth it though.

Then have the employer fill out the ROE showing the Friday as last day worked and add the wages onto that (yes, not technically right way to do it, but I don't think it too harmful of a stretch over just a few hours). Seems weird that they really need him for that 5 more hours. How long has he been with this company? Temporary layoffs are often just a wish washy way of permanently getting rid of someone. I wouldn't rely on being hired back (unless this is a typical pattern with them).
Aug 21, 2016
465 posts
164 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Then have the employer fill out the ROE showing the Friday as last day worked and add the wages onto that (yes, not technically right way to do it, but I don't think it too harmful of a stretch over just a few hours). Seems weird that they really need him for that 5 more hours. How long has he been with this company? Temporary layoffs are often just a wish washy way of permanently getting rid of someone. I wouldn't rely on being hired back (unless this is a typical pattern with them).
Yeah that's an option to ask if it's needed. Just trying to establish if it is needed before taking a step that might be unnecessary. He's been with them for a while and definitely coming back to them but he's looking elsewhere in the meantime.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)