Careers

EI was rejected due to incorrect ROE, will I get the payments of the period of time I dispute?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 9:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
588 posts
101 upvotes

EI was rejected due to incorrect ROE, will I get the payments of the period of time I dispute?

I was terminated end of last year. But the company continued to pay my regular pay and benefits as salary continuance until the severance was paid out. I got the last payment in March. Then I applied for the EI. I was supposed to start getting EI beginning of April.

However, the decision was made that I could not get EI because of "insufficient hours". I found out that the company put the wrong date on the ROE. They should have put the day of last payment instead of the day of termination since there was salary continuance. I asked the company to amend the ROE which they already did online.

But the problem is that there is no way I can go through the phone of canada service. I submitted an online request and a lady called me back but she was just helpless because she couldn't access EI account at all. She asked me to keep calling EI department. God knows when I can go through the phone nowadays! I also mailed a "reconsideration form". But I am not even sure if they can receive the mail or not because all service centers are closed now!

I am not sure when I can get my EI done and start getting payments. I guess it might be May at best based on the current situation. I will be literally broke by then and bills will pile up. Does anyone know if the government give back the money during this period of time when I dispute the decision? This would help me pay the bills I get in March and April! Moreover, if I only start getting money when the dispute is settled, I would lose 1-2 months of EI because I won't stay home until the end of EI. I will find a job as soon as the current virus disaster is over. So the later I get the money, the less money I will get.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6401 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
supermike wrote: I was terminated end of last year. But the company continued to pay my regular pay and benefits as salary continuance until the severance was paid out. I got the last payment in March. Then I applied for the EI. I was supposed to start getting EI beginning of April.

However, the decision was made that I could not get EI because of "insufficient hours". I found out that the company put the wrong date on the ROE. They should have put the day of last payment instead of the day of termination since there was salary continuance. I asked the company to amend the ROE which they already did online.

But the problem is that there is no way I can go through the phone of canada service. I submitted an online request and a lady called me back but she was just helpless because she couldn't access EI account at all. She asked me to keep calling EI department. God knows when I can go through the phone nowadays! I also mailed a "reconsideration form". But I am not even sure if they can receive the mail or not because all service centers are closed now!

I am not sure when I can get my EI done and start getting payments. I guess it might be May at best based on the current situation. I will be literally broke by then and bills will pile up. Does anyone know if the government give back the money during this period of time when I dispute the decision? This would help me pay the bills I get in March and April! Moreover, if I only start getting money when the dispute is settled, I would lose 1-2 months of EI because I won't stay home until the end of EI. I will find a job as soon as the current virus disaster is over. So the later I get the money, the less money I will get.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Post it on this thread ei-employment-insurance-discussion-thread-1091952/ . Current or former service canada employee help you with your question.