EI sick benefits, Regular & Second Career

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2016 6:42 am
[OP]
Aug 17, 2016
2 posts

EI sick benefits, Regular & Second Career

Hi there,

Just read a couple of your comments, discussions and advices and decided to give a shot since most of you guys already went through this process.

First of all I'm on EI sick benefits trying to convert it regular while finding a suitable job that will not lead me to sickness again. My question here is say I would apply for second career.

1. Do I have to wait/ convert my EI sickness to regular first or I still qualify since I have note from DR clarifying the reasons why I have to get a different job.

2. How long does it normally take to convert EI sick benefits to regular?

3. EI lady told me since I won't be returning to the same work due to health/ medical reasons, my final ROE will be labelled Quit. And she told me since I have a medical note, I shouldn't worry. How true is that?

Some of the questions might be already discussed and please don't judge me or something of that nuture.

Finally I will take this opportunity to congratulate each and every one in here mainly the admin guy.

Please try to be more elaborative and in case of more information all will be welcome.

Yours

Hooveer2011
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
HOOVEER2011 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 6:20 pm
Hi there,

Just read a couple of your comments, discussions and advices and decided to give a shot since most of you guys already went through this process.

First of all I'm on EI sick benefits trying to convert it regular while finding a suitable job that will not lead me to sickness again. My question here is say I would apply for second career.

1. Do I have to wait/ convert my EI sickness to regular first or I still qualify since I have note from DR clarifying the reasons why I have to get a different job.

2. How long does it normally take to convert EI sick benefits to regular?

3. EI lady told me since I won't be returning to the same work due to health/ medical reasons, my final ROE will be labelled Quit. And she told me since I have a medical note, I shouldn't worry. How true is that?

Some of the questions might be already discussed and please don't judge me or something of that nuture.

Finally I will take this opportunity to congratulate each and every one in here mainly the admin guy.

Please try to be more elaborative and in case of more information all will be welcome.

Yours

Hooveer2011
You would only qualify for regular benefits if there was no job for you to return to (i.e. Lay-off, termination...etc). If you voluntarily quit from work you would have to demonstrate that you took every reasonable effort to rectify the reason why you quit. If you quit because of medical reasons you would only be entitled to the 15 weeks of benefits as you have chosen to voluntarily depart from the workforce. Regular benefits are only for situations where you have a seperation from work due to no fault of your own (quitting work is a choice you made). Hope that helps.

P.S There is a huge E.I thread stickied to the top of this forum. All E.I questions should be directed there in the future.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2016
2 posts
Hi OldMarriedGuy

Thanks for the information. I guess EI rep mislead me then because she mentioned that YES you get EI sickness benefits upto 15 provided there is a note from Doctor, however she mentioned that unless you/ one cannot be able to continue with work because it would lead to similar injury then looking for another job will be an option. So in my case my doctor stated I can work but not in a similar job as previously.

So I was trying to see if this is true because no information about that is specified anywhere in any site or government site.

Also you did not clarify about second career option.

Thank you
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2033 posts
790 upvotes
HOOVEER2011 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 10:21 pm
Hi OldMarriedGuy

Thanks for the information. I guess EI rep mislead me then because she mentioned that YES you get EI sickness benefits upto 15 provided there is a note from Doctor, however she mentioned that unless you/ one cannot be able to continue with work because it would lead to similar injury then looking for another job will be an option. So in my case my doctor stated I can work but not in a similar job as previously.

So I was trying to see if this is true because no information about that is specified anywhere in any site or government site.

Also you did not clarify about second career option.

Thank you
What is your job/injury? Also, for second career there is a specific set of criteria that you would have to be in. EI does not administer the second career program. What's your education/age/experience? That program is generally meant for people with very little education or transferable skills.