• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 4:18 am
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8725 posts
2407 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
There isn’t much new here. International students who have part-time employment during their academic period or seasonal employment during the non-academic period pay EI premiums. They are eligible to receive EI benefits like any contributor to EI. There is no change in this regard.

The article points out that international students will be treated the same as any other EI contributor with regard to CERB.
They have been forced to stop working because of COVID-19;

They had income of at least CDN$5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and

They expect to be without employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period.

University Affairs magazine provides a cautionary note on the programme in that, “The previous-income requirement, however, disqualifies many student employees. Plus, students who rely on summer jobs to subsidise their schooling have seen most of those [jobs] disappear as the unemployment rate skyrockets. All of this leaves the student population facing a dire financial situation over the next several months.”
EI is based on being a contributor to the EI program, not based on family income.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
If they've contributed to EI, they should get the benefits. Fair is fair.
Jul 15, 2006
868 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Not all international students are wealthy. Some take up part-time work to make ends meet. Many often leave their programs incomplete because they can't afford to pay the high tuition fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1116 upvotes
Ottawa
lpin14 wrote: If they've contributed to EI, they should get the benefits. Fair is fair.
Well generally all students are not eligible for EI. I was actually working full-time while studying and could not claim when I graduated. The current situation is different but I agree giving money to foreign students seems strange.