• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 7:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1113 posts
253 upvotes

Elantra GT vs. VW Golf

Looking for some RFD advice. Looking to buy a new hatch, and deciding between the VW Golf and Hyundai Elantra GT.

There’s quite a price difference between the two...I havent talked prices yet, but the Hyundai MSRP is 27k while the Highline spec’d Golf is looking like $32-34k depending on whether I pay cash or finance. Personally liked the Golf drive and interior more, but I don’t think it’s $5k more! Interested in hearin people’s thoughts.
66 replies
Aug 6, 2017
598 posts
915 upvotes
Which trim for the Elantra? ? Hyundai's have terrible resale value but if you're keeping the car for a long time, it's fine.
Nov 7, 2017
235 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure how it is now, but in a reliability aspect, VW > Hyundai
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1113 posts
253 upvotes
Not planning on resell - will drive it for at least 5-7yrs.
Surprisingly, I found the regular Elantra GT already offers most of the features as standard. I had to upgrade the Golf to the middle highline in order to match most of the Elantra GT features.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
That's hyundai's go to, more features/creatures per dollar, but frown if you drive for pleasure. I would suggest if you love to drive, the get golf and if not and like bells, get the hyundai.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1428 posts
1250 upvotes
You might as well get a GTI then if you're in the low 30k territory with the loaded Golf.
Apr 27, 2019
16 posts
19 upvotes
Get the VW golf if you want a car that is fun to drive with a better quality interior. Get the Hyundai if you just want a car and don’t care how it “feels”.

If you want to make your Golf even more fun to drive get the APR Stage I tune (once the engine/drivetrain comes off warranty, of course). It is mind blowing what the Golf becomes after you spend $1k for the engine tune. The Hyundai is not even close.
Mar 1, 2008
866 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
i would grab the golf but did you test drive the elantra gt? i would test drive both and see how you like the ride and feel.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1587 posts
1788 upvotes
GTA
Being purely objective here:

Elantra
Pros: lots of usable tech crammed into it, great fuel mileage.
Cons: purely a commuter car.. i.e. boring boring boring., questionable quality, terrible resale value.

Golf
Pros: nice driver's car. Better reliability. good resale value.
Cons: not as much tech but can be had for $$, slightly less fuel mileage.

If you want usable tech and don't care about the drive, go for the Elantra. If you want to enjoy your drive and can live without all the tech, go Golf. Or if you want both, pony up for a higher level trim on the Golf.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15666 posts
13360 upvotes
Richmond Hill
koffey wrote: That's hyundai's go to, more features/creatures per dollar, but frown if you drive for pleasure. I would suggest if you love to drive, the get golf and if not and like bells, get the hyundai.
Not just Hyundai. But the Korean mentality when it comes to selling their products. They try to offer best bang for the buck and quality is secondary lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1113 posts
253 upvotes
aznblade wrote: i would grab the golf but did you test drive the elantra gt? i would test drive both and see how you like the ride and feel.
Drove both. Have to agree with everyone here that the Golf is a lot nicer to drive and the interior is a bit more slick. Can’t imagine what a GTI would be like! Really the biggest draw for going for the ElantraGT is because it’s a more financially prudent choice !
Nov 24, 2015
516 posts
158 upvotes
what features on the GT do you need on the Golf?

Base Golf can be had for < 27k OTR (depending on time/deals/negotiation, sometimes much less)
Oct 18, 2009
88 posts
78 upvotes
I think reliability of the elantra gt is better than people think it is. Golf definitely provides a better driving experience.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
KennethToronto wrote: Drove both. Have to agree with everyone here that the Golf is a lot nicer to drive and the interior is a bit more slick. Can’t imagine what a GTI would be like! Really the biggest draw for going for the ElantraGT is because it’s a more financially prudent choice !
If it's about money and you want the golf, than buy used 2-3 years and get an extended warranty on the GTI. The only thing that I like about any Golf are the cool plaid/checkered seats.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1113 posts
253 upvotes
ignites wrote: what features on the GT do you need on the Golf?

Base Golf can be had for < 27k OTR (depending on time/deals/negotiation, sometimes much less)
Superficial I know, but the base VW only has a dinky 6.5” screen, and missing so many of those little bells and whistles on the base GT (LED lights, driver assistance features etc)
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1428 posts
1250 upvotes
Btw if you're willing to pass on the hatchback, then you could save quite a bit more with Elantra Sport. It's pretty much the same car as GT but is like $3k cheaper and has a better rate too. They have some really good deals on it now.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2949 posts
2839 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you're looking at a loaded Golf might as well check out the GTI which can be negotiated down and sells more (so dealers have more sitting on the lots), people on the forums get 4-5k off MSRP pretty easily, which negates the cost savings of the Elantra and gets you in a much nicer car. Not sure if the loaded Golf has the same amount of wiggle rooms at the dealerships but doesn't hurt to ask.

Other thing is call your insurance company with sample VINs and get a quote on both cars. If one car is way more expensive to insure it'll make your decision easier.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11125 posts
2887 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Being a VW guy I would go with the Golf but as you have seen its just a better ride and interior and if you plan on keeping the car for so long and driving a lot you will want a more comfortable ride. I would also inquire about the GTI you never know you may find a deal on one.

On the other hand if you are interested in a VW PM me I know a sales manager and he has given great deals to many RFD people on here & he will beat prices also.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9665 posts
9119 upvotes
Markham
Hand down, Golf is possibly the best hatch out there. No one's ever bought a Golf, GTI, or R and went "gee I shoulda gotten that other hatch."

What people say is "damn man, I shoulda gotten the GTI." or "Damn I shoulda gotten that R."

Get the Golf, if you get the Elantra you'll just regret falling for shiny pennies that don't matter. A GTI will set you back a little more than a highline Golf, but if you don't mind spending the extra couple Gs, you will not regret the GTI. It'll make you feel 23 again, but this time you've got a nice car, nice girl, nice bank, and nice drive.
Oct 30, 2007
106 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Hand down, Golf is possibly the best hatch out there. No one's ever bought a Golf, GTI, or R and went "gee I shoulda gotten that other hatch."

What people say is "damn man, I shoulda gotten the GTI." o