Elantra GT vs. VW Golf

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 7:11 pm
Oct 30, 2007
193 posts
170 upvotes
Vaughan
Agree with Anikiri!

Another option if you are set on a high line a 2017 would have depreciated. You probably get a 2017 which will have the 1.8T a little more power. I find the high lines depreciate a little faster as most people buying a golf go for the trend line. A 2017 with low kms will probably sell for 23-24K...

Nothing wrong with an Elantra GT I like the interior and exterior haven't driven one so can’t comment on the drive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i can only comment about 2015 and not the current redesign. but in 2015 we compared the Golf, Elantra GT and the Mazda3. This was a car for me to drive very occasionally and mainly for our nanny to use.

We were only cross shopping the base auto and ac model.

We ended up with the Elantra GT. If i was doing this exact experiment again I think i would end up with the Subaru Crosstrek or the GT for the drivers assistance features. It really has been a perfect car for us.

Elantra GT
Pros = much bettter warranty. bumper to bumper for 5 years. great features. heated steering wheel. most hp out of the 3 we compared. significant discount - we got 3000 off. vw would have given us 500 off and the mazda was something similar.
cons = poor perceived resale

Golf
Pros = better perceived brand. it probably is a better car - considered the best hatch by everyone. if it wasn't mainly for our nanny to use i'd probably have ended up with this.
cons = felt basic. poor perceived reliability

Mazda 3
Pros = attractive 3 year lease rate
cons = rougher suspension. based model had shitty fabric on seats

We have had the car almost 5 years now -- it has been great. I think it only has 40000 km or so but not a single issue and no dealer visits except some annual fluid changes.
I don't think the resale is as bad as people want to think -- at the 7 year mark they're all not worth much.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1167 posts
340 upvotes
Thanks for breaking that down.
Hyundai seems quite keen to get their units out the door with 0% financing right now!
milolai wrote: i can only comment about 2015 and not the current redesign. but in 2015 we compared the Golf, Elantra GT and the Mazda3. This was a car for me to drive very occasionally and mainly for our nanny to use.

We were only cross shopping the base auto and ac model.

We ended up with the Elantra GT. If i was doing this exact experiment again I think i would end up with the Subaru Crosstrek or the GT for the drivers assistance features. It really has been a perfect car for us.

Elantra GT
Pros = much bettter warranty. bumper to bumper for 5 years. great features. heated steering wheel. most hp out of the 3 we compared. significant discount - we got 3000 off. vw would have given us 500 off and the mazda was something similar.
cons = poor perceived resale

Golf
Pros = better perceived brand. it probably is a better car - considered the best hatch by everyone. if it wasn't mainly for our nanny to use i'd probably have ended up with this.
cons = felt basic. poor perceived reliability

Mazda 3
Pros = attractive 3 year lease rate
cons = rougher suspension. based model had shitty fabric on seats

We have had the car almost 5 years now -- it has been great. I think it only has 40000 km or so but not a single issue and no dealer visits except some annual fluid changes.
I don't think the resale is as bad as people want to think -- at the 7 year mark they're all not worth much.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
KennethToronto wrote: Thanks for breaking that down.
Hyundai seems quite keen to get their units out the door with 0% financing right now!
yep - the cheap financing and the extra 2 years of warranty kinda helped seal the deal for us.
if i was to make the VW or Mazda 5 year bumper to bumper at the time it was close to $2000 extra
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Ok on what planet does VW make more reliable cars than Kia? Looks like people have been drinking Das Kool-Aid

Nov 8, 2017
52 posts
21 upvotes
OP, which Elantra GT trim are you looking at? Luxury? Auto or manual? I’m also a Golf fan having driven the 2018 version which I liked but I’m disappointed that VW decreased the engine size from 1.8 to 1.4 for 2019. That 1.4 is torquey around town but runs out of steam pretty quickly on the highway when comparing it to the 1.8. I haven’t driven the “base” Elantra GT but I’ve driven the GT N Line and that was a heck of a fun car to drive, handling and power was excellent! IMO miles better than a regular Golf. I would say it’s 80% to 90% of the GTI but much cheaper when comparing equipment. The GTI is definitely sweet, just no sure how far you can stretch your budget, but the GT N Line is worth a drive.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1167 posts
340 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Corolla Hatch.... in blue.
Tested the corolla hatch. Again, great value, but the overall design of the rear and cargo space compared to either VW or Hyundai leaves a lot to be desired.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13098 upvotes
KennethToronto wrote: Tested the corolla hatch. Again, great value, but the overall design of the rear and cargo space compared to either VW or Hyundai leaves a lot to be desired.
From pocket book perspective, I'll take a $27K Corolla hatch over a Elantra GT of the same price. Value retention is better with Toyota even if it's a car with less features.

If voting with your heart, Golf GTI for sure.

I don't think there is a happy medium if you care about feature and price in this segment. Or at least nothing really stands out.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
The All-New Golf to be unveiled in October, I think.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
smithrfd wrote: OP, which Elantra GT trim are you looking at? Luxury? Auto or manual? I’m also a Golf fan having driven the 2018 version which I liked but I’m disappointed that VW decreased the engine size from 1.8 to 1.4 for 2019. That 1.4 is torquey around town but runs out of steam pretty quickly on the highway when comparing it to the 1.8. I haven’t driven the “base” Elantra GT but I’ve driven the GT N Line and that was a heck of a fun car to drive, handling and power was excellent! IMO miles better than a regular Golf. I would say it’s 80% to 90% of the GTI but much cheaper when comparing equipment. The GTI is definitely sweet, just no sure how far you can stretch your budget, but the GT N Line is worth a drive.

2019 VW Golf GTI DSG - MSRP $32060 inc freight/pdi + HST (cash)
228 hp @ 4700rpm
258 lb-ft torque @ 1500rpm
0-100km/h in 5.7 seconds
Awesome steering
Awesome braking
Awesome suspension
8" in-car display
REAL Dual Clutch Transmission, possibly the best dual clutch tranny for a non premium brand. Feels like baby butt.

2019 Elantra GT N Line DCT Ultimate - MSRP $32531 inc freight/pdi + HST
201 hp @ 6000rpm
195 lb-ft torque @ 1500rpm
0-100km/h in 6.6 seconds
18 inch wheels
some other stuff that no one cares about, are you buying a car or a hoverboat with some bling trim?
Dual Clutch Transmission feels like a chimp giving you a quick tug. Hyundai makes the worst dual clutch transmission in the world.

All that "stuff" you find in a Hyundai, will become pointless after like 4 weeks of driving. No one cares anymore, at that point it's all about the drive. Furthermore, that Elantra GT N is gonna depreciate like rusted Lada. The moment you drive it off the lot, you will never be able to sell it. Complete opposite for the GTI.

PS: I would spend a couple extra G's and get the Rabbit edition, which would have most (if not all) of the "extra trinkets" that you would get on the Elantra. Not to mention the sweet sweet jesus VW Pretoria wheels.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
If you look it up online JD Power awards seem to be BS paid awards and really dont mean to much. So these photos you posted are not worth much.

mr_raider wrote: Ok on what planet does VW make more reliable cars than Kia? Looks like people have been drinking Das Kool-Aid

Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
I have a Golf R. I love it. Once, I installed a 3" downpipe and stage 2 ecu/tcu tune. It became and different animal.

Trust me, get the GTI and tune it. You'll be taking the long long - extra long way to work everday.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Hoping VW comes up with a BEV based on the Golf before 2025.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13098 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: The All-New Golf to be unveiled in October, I think.
Normal Golf rumor to be dropped in NA. GTI and R only going forward.
alanbrenton wrote: Hoping VW comes up with a BEV based on the Golf before 2025.
Golf is based on MQB. MEB is base don MQB. ID line of cars which expect to debut in 2025 is based on MEB.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Have both a VW and Hyundai but different models than OP is looking at. Standard maintenance at VW is more expensive. Cost to insure VW is more. Hyundai has better (longer) warranty. There have been no issues with either vehicle, one a 2016 and the other a 2017.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
sickcars wrote: If you look it up online JD Power awards seem to be BS paid awards and really dont mean to much. So these photos you posted are not worth much.
The 2nd one is from consumer reports. They both agree Hyundai/kia are no worse than VW, and marginally better even.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Night and day comparison here. Elantra is for budget oriented, treat car as mode of transportation. Golf is a drivers car, better handling, interior, etc. I'd take Golf, end of story.

Furthermore, the Golf has always been the most reliable VW by far and has won car of the year several times.
Sep 29, 2015
552 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GTI driver here.

Would recommend a golf. The interior and driving dynamics of even the base golf are a league above other cars at that price point. I echo what others say here about ponying up for the GTI, but if it's not in your budget I'd still take the golf.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Hand down, Golf is possibly the best hatch out there. No one's ever bought a Golf, GTI, or R and went "gee I shoulda gotten that other hatch."

What people say is "damn man, I shoulda gotten the GTI." or "Damn I shoulda gotten that R."

Get the Golf, if you get the Elantra you'll just regret falling for shiny pennies that don't matter. A GTI will set you back a little more than a highline Golf, but if you don't mind spending the extra couple Gs, you will not regret the GTI. It'll make you feel 23 again, but this time you've got a nice car, nice girl, nice bank, and nice drive.
/thread

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)