Long & McQuade

[Merged] Audio Technica ATH-M50 $109.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2012 5:47 pm
Jan 27, 2010
75 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I already have an ATH-AD700 which I love, but need a second set of headphones so I ordered the ATH-M50 to give them a try.

With my luck on cross-border shopping I'll most likely get dinged by customs, but at least they aren't using UPS with it's insane fees...
Nov 14, 2006
699 posts
213 upvotes
Calgary
Sound Professionals is having a Labor Day sale on the ATH-M50. It's basically a $60 instant-rebate, or $99.99 for the black, $109.99 for the white/LE. Use the code "ATH-M50-PROMO-COILED-60" at checkout.

Ad:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... _23AUG2012

Product page:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... -M50-PROMO

Mods, also posted this in the original Soundprofessionals/ATH-M50 thread that's now been moved to the expired section - please feel free to merge/delete/whatever.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1157 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smrt123 wrote: Sound Professionals is having a Labor Day sale on the ATH-M50. It's basically a $60 instant-rebate, or $99.99 for the black, $109.99 for the white/LE. Use the code "ATH-M50-PROMO-COILED-60" at checkout.

Ad:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... _23AUG2012

Product page:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... -M50-PROMO

Mods, also posted this in the original Soundprofessionals/ATH-M50 thread that's now been moved to the expired section - please feel free to merge/delete/whatever.
ahhh it's not taking the coupon for the white one for me, I tried on the Silver and it worked but trying the white coupon for the white one doesn't do anything :S
Nov 14, 2006
699 posts
213 upvotes
Calgary
Worked for me. I think the coupon on the front page and on the checkout page are different. This is the one that worked: ATH-M50-PROMO-WHITE-60

sengook wrote: ahhh it's not taking the coupon for the white one for me, I tried on the Silver and it worked but trying the white coupon for the white one doesn't do anything :S
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1157 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smrt123 wrote: Worked for me. I think the coupon on the front page and on the checkout page are different. This is the one that worked: ATH-M50-PROMO-WHITE-60
Yup sent them an email and got a reply saying that it's fixed now.
Jul 18, 2012
62 posts
4 upvotes
Quebec City
Nice headset, but I don't want to pay over $100 for one headset . a bit high price
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7920 posts
2827 upvotes
Washington, DC
Redfrog1 wrote: Nice headset, but I don't want to pay over $100 for one headset . a bit high price
Try one first, then say that ;)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7920 posts
2827 upvotes
Washington, DC
sengook wrote: ahhh it's not taking the coupon for the white one for me, I tried on the Silver and it worked but trying the white coupon for the white one doesn't do anything :S
I want the white as well, not working
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15081 posts
1485 upvotes
Markham
lincoln wrote: Try one first, then say that ;)
indeed.... but it's not for everyone

i had one... couldn't wear it for prolong periods of time because it wasn't comfortable.... i wear glasses...
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7920 posts
2827 upvotes
Washington, DC
I'm so perplexed, the coupon didn't work on labour day for the white M50s even though it was advertised..... Can SP do anything about this?
Abraham Lincoln
Jun 11, 2011
355 posts
92 upvotes
BURNABY
Which make/model you would recommend for people wear glasses, but still like to enjoy quality music?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
2433 posts
885 upvotes
Vancouver
MacbookPro2004 wrote: Which make/model you would recommend for people wear glasses, but still like to enjoy quality music?
I have glasses.... I have the Ath-50's... I am listening to them now. I am comfortable. These things are awesome. Rocking out to the new Mumford and Sons album at the moment. (highly recommended)

These are seriously great. very well built and sound great.
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
May 28, 2012
937 posts
183 upvotes
Redfrog1 wrote: Nice headset, but I don't want to pay over $100 for one headset . a bit high price
You get what you paid for. Although, in the M50's case, you get MORE than what you paid for. Comparable headsets start at around the $250-300 mark
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3139 posts
411 upvotes
JustinZ wrote: How do these compare to my

Sennheiser HD555s (595modded)
or
Sony MDR-V6
I just bought the M50s Limited Edition. And since I got the MDR-V6's as well, I can help you with this comparison :D
Although that post has been 10 months ago...but nonetheless, someone might find it useful.

Side note, I wear glasses...the M50 fits comfortably, so your glasses' frame doesn't sink down to your skin and annoy the heck outta you.
And for those who think that shiny piece on the Limited Edition is metal...it's plastic...

Anyways. M50 and MDR-V6 comparison :P

- The M50 clamps onto your head really tight. Like, REALLY tight. To the point where it doesn't even matter what size adjustment you made to the headband, it's tight. It's still somewhat comfortable, for the first 5 minutes or so...once you put back the V6 on, you feel a sense of relief. The M50 feels heavy when you wear it, whereas the V6 feels light. Both of them are similar in weight (M50 is heavier of course), but those extra grams can be felt once you put them on.

Since the M50 is still new, it's hard to judge and compare with the V6
- The M50 does not sound flat AT ALL. There is plenty of bass, and the midrange is perfect. However, they slightly overpower the highs at times.
The V6 is very treble-biased, even after burn-in. If you listen to the V6 from day 1, you feel that the bass gets better and better to the point where you think "These are so neutral! Vocals sound natural, instrumentals sound natural. The bass is sharp!" After you take off the M50 and put on the V6, the bass that your brain was absorbing no longer exists :lol:
- The V6 needs to be bumped to a higher volume level to listen, whereas the the M50 needs a slightly lower level. In other words, the V6 needs more power to drive.

It really depends on what you listen to. I love them both. They both have their pros and cons, and they both have their unique sound.
The M50 sounds warm, meaning it does well in the low and midrange. The highs are still clear and do not sound muffled at all. It's a good all-rounder.
The V6 is supposedly neutral, but I find it treble-biased, yet, tight on the low end. Acoustic and vocal-emphasized songs would be the best for the V6.

For the price, it depends on your budget. I personally got the M50 just to hear what the fuss is all about.
If you bought the M50 first, you might hate the V6. If you bought the V6 first, you might not be used to all the bass that you've missed all this time :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2209 posts
639 upvotes
Waiting for the white M50 to go on sale here in Canada...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7920 posts
2827 upvotes
Washington, DC
soundprofessionals wrote: Hello:
Thank you for your posting. I am sorry, but the coupon code you are referring to is valid for previous customers only. It is part of our loyalty rewards system for customers that have placed orders with us and are returning again. The code for first time customers provides a $50.00 discount, making the net price $109.00. I believe you will find this is a very good price for these headphones :-)

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
[email protected]
www.soundprofessionals.com
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax
Hey Chris, I'm looking to grab a white set to compliment my Black straight cable M50's.... any chance you can tell us the next time they'll be going on sale for $99 again? I'm really interested in getting a second set from you guys! Thanks man
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 21, 2011
84 posts
6 upvotes
lincoln wrote: Hey Chris, I'm looking to grab a white set to compliment my Black straight cable M50's.... any chance you can tell us the next time they'll be going on sale for $99 again? I'm really interested in getting a second set from you guys! Thanks man
Co-sign. I want to buy a white pair or the LE edition for my bro (I already have a black pair).
Oct 26, 2012
327 posts
267 upvotes
I bought these and they arrived yesterday, blown away by the sound! No duties or anything

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)