• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2020 8:54 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes

Electric Car Charger in Condo

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a pre-construction condo and the builder offers an "upgrade" for a electric car charger rough-in supplying 220 volts 20 amps (in the underground garage parking spot) for $1150. I don't have a Tesla at the moment but hope to in the near future so I don't know too much about what a suitable charger would be. Is it worth paying this much for it? Is this considered a "Level 2" charger? How fast would this charge?

I know the price is steep but I don't know if I could get someone else to do it given it is a condo.

Appreciate your thoughts and help!
74 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2715 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know much about this specifically.

I can tell you you are not paying for the charge just the rough in to make it possible for you to install the charger in the future. Your questions led me to believe you thought the charger was included.
Last edited by WMPCOT on Dec 18th, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28465 posts
13803 upvotes
Toronto
that's cheap !!

My coworker was once quoted >$5000 to install one (that was 5+ yrs ago roughly)
Nov 24, 2007
200 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
worth it, for resale value, or can rent to others at a bit of a premium. Most importantly, the cost will be amortized
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I don't know much about this specifically.

I can tell you you are not paying for the charge just the rough in to make it possible for you to install the charger in the future. Your questions led me to believe you thought the charger was included.
I understand I still need to have the actual charger installed, how much more would that be roughly? When they say "rough-in" I assume it is just wiring to make it possible to add a charger? I really don't know much about it so would be greatly apprciated if someone can explain! :)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15666 posts
13363 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That is cheap BUT and a major BUT is the amperage. If it is 20amps that means if can only do 16amps continuous and for example on the Model 3 that is equivalent to 24kms per hour charge. Still a lot better than level 1, but you should inquire if that is a 20amp continuous service or a 30amp. Preferably 30amps min.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15666 posts
13363 upvotes
Richmond Hill
NateTO3 wrote: I understand I still need to have the actual charger installed, how much more would that be roughly? When they say "rough-in" I assume it is just wiring to make it possible to add a charger? I really don't know much about it so would be greatly apprciated if someone can explain! :)
When it comes to EV's the "charger" is not really a charger. Just an interface from the wall that tells the car the maximum it can draw power. The actual charger is on-board. Once there's a rough in the installation is super easy.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2620 posts
1406 upvotes
Mississauga
totally worth it. it is something that is much easier and feasible to do now than in future. it will also much more than 1150$ to the value of your house. How will it billed though? Will the somehow tie to the meter in your unit?
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: That is cheap BUT and a major BUT is the amperage. If it is 20amps that means if can only do 16amps continuous and for example on the Model 3 that is equivalent to 24kms per hour charge. Still a lot better than level 1, but you should inquire if that is a 20amp continuous service or a 30amp. Preferably 30amps min.
Noted. I will inquire about this. Thanks for your comment!
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: totally worth it. it is something that is much easier and feasible to do now than in future. it will also much more than 1150$ to the value of your house. How will it billed though? Will the somehow tie to the meter in your unit?
Good question, will have to confirm this. I would assume it is billed to my unit.
Oct 2, 2018
388 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
You likely will not be able to install a unit in the future once all the concrete is poured and everything completed, so i would jump at getting it roughed in now and have that option for the future.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: You likely will not be able to install a unit in the future once all the concrete is poured and everything completed, so i would jump at getting it roughed in now and have that option for the future.
The funny thing is, the concrete / underground parking is already poured. They said they would add some sort of box at the front of my parking spot.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2715 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
OP check the home and garden forums, there have been one or two recent threads about installing these in homes. I would guess the costs to be similar for the installation minus the cost to run the actual wiring.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7322 posts
5342 upvotes
Kitchener
That sounds like a reasonable price, but kinda slow. 20A @ 240V will be good for approx 25-30km/hr on a Tesla Model 3 vs 8km/hr on a standard 15A @ 120V outlet. The charger itself can just be the Tesla mobile charger (comes with the car) or you can buy a permanently mounted wall connector for $635 from Tesla (which won't charge any quicker - limited by the 20A of current).

Bottom line is that you shouldn't have to spend an extra dime if you buy a Tesla because it comes with the mobile connector pack, which is perfectly usable but not meant for permanent installation. You'd likely always want to unplug it and take with you if you think it might grow legs and go missing.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Dec 19th, 2019 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2949 posts
2841 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
WMPCOT wrote: OP check the home and garden forums, there have been one or two recent threads about installing these in homes. I would guess the costs to be similar for the installation minus the cost to run the actual wiring.
Can't compare to a house if that's what you meant.

It's a huge hassle to get these added in a condo/apartment later on once construction has finished, while technically you're entitled to the right to install one, there's a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through that it's not really feasible. I would definitely get it. See if they can provide more power as others have mentioned.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1588 posts
1789 upvotes
GTA
NateTO3 wrote: I understand I still need to have the actual charger installed, how much more would that be roughly? When they say "rough-in" I assume it is just wiring to make it possible to add a charger? I really don't know much about it so would be greatly apprciated if someone can explain! :)
Correct. Roughing in is just the wiring to your spot.

Given that the world is moving towards electric cars, I would definitely consider it for the price you have been quoted. It would be a big selling future (to me).
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2715 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote: Can't compare to a house if that's what you meant.

It's a huge hassle to get these added in a condo/apartment later on once construction has finished, while technically you're entitled to the right to install one, there's a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through that it's not really feasible. I would definitely get it. See if they can provide more power as others have mentioned.
If you read my post carefully I think you missed things. I stand behind my statement because you can clearly see I meant the installation of the actual system minus the cost of running the wire would be the same or similar. The OP is only paying for the rough in, if one has to jump through hoops to get the actual charger, or interface as someone called it installed they will still have to do this as only the rough in is being paid for not the entire system.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6077 posts
4687 upvotes
I would ask for 30A circuit to be more future proof unless the condo association has put a limit down.

Because you will never know if there are any future change in how electricity will be charged that a faster charging speed may be beneficial.

You can install a 20A charger on the 30A circuit but you can't install a 30A charger on a 20A circuit. The labour is the same, the cost of material in negligible.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5365 posts
2441 upvotes
gulfstream
Ecsta wrote: Can't compare to a house if that's what you meant.

agreed...the 20 amp is almost the equivalent to an extension cord..why they are only offering this is puzzling..especially for the future..
getting one installed AFTER is such a huge hassle in a condo I would just say it almost wont be done..and very very costly ..board meetings, changing of condo bylaws , etc...condo boards act like the equivalent to gov't...nothing gets done but they are happy to spend money on BS
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7322 posts
5342 upvotes
Kitchener
Xtrema wrote: I would ask for 30A circuit to be more future proof unless the condo association has put a limit down.

Because you will never know if there are any future change in how electricity will be charged that a faster charging speed may be beneficial.

You can install a 20A charger on the 30A circuit but you can't install a 30A charger on a 20A circuit. The labour is the same, the cost of material in negligible.
40A circuit where you can pull 32A is more beneficial. I have a 60A circuit where I can (and do) pull 48A from.