Parenting & Family

Electric car for a tall 6 1/2 year old

[OP]
Mar 19, 2012
881 posts
187 upvotes

Electric car for a tall 6 1/2 year old

Hi, I would like to get my son an electric car for his birthday. Do you have any suggestions and or advice on where to look for one? I know 6V will be to slow for him but I have no idea how fast are the 12 V ones. Thank you.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12342 posts
4852 upvotes
Toronto
kijiji, Facebook Market place.
I see so many of those used one for sale at less than half of the original cost.

A lot of parents are getting rid of them after the kids doesn't fit in anymore or they lost interest.

Pick one in good condition and sanitizing the whole thing and it is good as new.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Mar 19, 2012
881 posts
187 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: kijiji, Facebook Market place.
I see so many of those used one for sale at less than half of the original cost.

A lot of parents are getting rid of them after the kids doesn't fit in anymore or they lost interest.

Pick one in good condition and sanitizing the whole thing and it is good as new.
Thank you. With all this Covid scare I want to buy brand new. Also, I have a tall kid so he wouldn't fit in any of those 12V ones for long.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3513 posts
2125 upvotes
Ottawa
Cocoon wrote: Thank you. With all this Covid scare I want to buy brand new. Also, I have a tall kid so he wouldn't fit in any of those 12V ones for long.
Buy car. Put aside for a week. Theoretically a virus might live for a few days even up to 5 in perfect temperature on a hard surface. But even waiting a a day or two is certainly lower risk than going to school or going to a playground or nearly any other activity.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16759 posts
2429 upvotes
Electric car is probably one of the most overrated toys - you'll get 1 or 2 months out of it, but by next year, your child is too big for it.

You're better off spending the money on a bike.

Or something with a longer life like a Ninebot, Electric Scooter, etc.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2012
881 posts
187 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Buy car. Put aside for a week. Theoretically a virus might live for a few days even up to 5 in perfect temperature on a hard surface. But even waiting a a day or two is certainly lower risk than going to school or going to a playground or nearly any other activity.
Thought about doing that but still not sure. Oh I won't be sending my child to school this year. Homeschooling :)
[OP]
Mar 19, 2012
881 posts
187 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Electric car is probably one of the most overrated toys - you'll get 1 or 2 months out of it, but by next year, your child is too big for it.

You're better off spending the money on a bike.

Or something with a longer life like a Ninebot, Electric Scooter, etc.
I know hence I asked 24 V and I'm assuming it will be for bigger kids. He is tall so if I can get 2 years out of it I'm good :)
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
2943 posts
3285 upvotes
GTA
coolspot wrote: Electric car is probably one of the most overrated toys - you'll get 1 or 2 months out of it, but by next year, your child is too big for it.
Got our son a 12V Police Car on his third birthday. He just turned nine and he and the neighbourhood kids still drive it a few months a year. It is on its third battery.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kid-trax-1 ... 0197115586
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3513 posts
2125 upvotes
Ottawa
Cocoon wrote: Thought about doing that but still not sure. Oh I won't be sending my child to school this year. Homeschooling :)
Honest question. Why so paranoid about a virus that is demonstrably less harmful to a 6 year old than Influenza? Protecting adults? It's funny we never would have worried about that before. As a society we need to keep the R rate down so hospitals overwhelmed but we need to listen to experts on both sides no? A 6 year old is probably fine to miss a year of school but what if it's three years?
[OP]
Mar 19, 2012
881 posts
187 upvotes
We have an immune compromised adult at home. But this is not the only reason we wanted to homeschool. Currently, our child goes to public school and he gets bored because he already knows quite a lot for his grade. So we decided to homeschool until grade 10. He wants to be one of the youngest kids that goes to uni :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)